How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

5 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I think Mondriaan just turned in his grave

Probably, and justifiably! In some ways, I'm consciously critiquing him (although I find his art beautiful).

Mondrian wanted to strip away the particulars and details of life in his art, and portray the beauty of the simple forms (lines and squares, geometric patterns) and colours that he saw beneath them: "I wish to approach truth as closely as is possible, and therefore I abstract everything until I arrive at the fundamental quality of objects." (You'll notice I quote this on the building behind me.)

What I'm sort of symbolically doing is restoring that lost particularity, because it interests me more than the Neo-Platonic urge to find "universals" and "ideal forms."

I'm also critiquing Saint Laurent a bit (although I love his Mondrian dresses), but that's another story.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2023 at 4:17 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There was much hilarity in Dutch on GD forum the other day -- and I'd quite forgotten that I had just finished a picture that is a sort of homage to a famous Dutch painter, Piet Mondrian. Or, rather, Mondrian and Yves Saint Laurent's homage to him. So, sort of a Canadian's homage to a Frenchman's homage to a Dutch painter?

Whatevs. This is one of the pics in my new exhibition.

Mondrian-(SM)-Blank.thumb.png.535d38ca2d73eba572c58649d7e0e164.png

That's brilliant! =D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes. Yes, it does!

I just snowed in and had a look - some really interesting pictures in there. The Geometry of the Human always reminds me of those drawing books I read, when I still had hopes my hands could hold a straight line: Think of the human body as cylinders and cones. Well done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

I just snowed in and had a look - some really interesting pictures in there. The Geometry of the Human always reminds me of those drawing books I read, when I still had hopes my hands could hold a straight line: Think of the human body as cylinders and cones. Well done!

Thank you!

I can barely draw credible stick figures. I did, however, spend a very happy week with paper, pencil, protactor and ruler in my late 20s when I happened across a technical description of how early Renaissance artists used math and geometry to calculate perspective in their pics. I "drew" a ton of totally empty rooms (cuz, stick figures) with beautifully tiled floors and windows. It was fun!

PS. Both you and @SlammedSam have, by your foolish, thoughtless words here, earned an invitation to my exhibition. Let no good deed go unpunished, says I.

You don't actually have to attend the opening, or the exhibit of course, but I do insist that you give the invitation a dignified end. A Viking funeral will suffice.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 3

I like how the distortion of the projected vitruvian man follows the curves on your skin .. :)

I also like the accompanying texts on the shields.

secondlife-postcard(1).thumb.jpg.d09f81ec10ba588bb712eee7e380209d.jpg

Except a few.

secondlife-postcard(2).thumb.jpg.4c96a0aa7f465d68b6d45440ae1f3509.jpg

I'd recommend a visit to the gallery to any adult .. ;)

Edited by Ted McGregor
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ted McGregor said:

I like how the distortion of the projected vitruvian man follows the curves on your skin .. :)

I also like the accompanying texts on the shields.

secondlife-postcard(1).thumb.jpg.d09f81ec10ba588bb712eee7e380209d.jpg

Except a few.

secondlife-postcard(2).thumb.jpg.4c96a0aa7f465d68b6d45440ae1f3509.jpg

I'd recommend a visit to the gallery to any adult .. ;)

Hey! It's not even OPEN yet!!! I still have stuff to add!

Thank you, though! 🙂

(And yes, there is a fair bit of nudity in this one. Unusually for me, but I'm interested in the relationship between geometry and the body.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hey! It's not even OPEN yet!!! I still have stuff to add!

Woops. Yah, one day I learn to read dates. I saw the signature link and there I went. I'll try and see if I can make it for the opening. If I can figure out what SLT means in local time :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

Woops. Yah, one day I learn to read dates. I saw the signature link and there I went. I'll try and see if I can make it for the opening. If I can figure out what SLT means in local time :D

Try this:  https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/  fast, easy set up and so easy to use!  For SLT, enter "California" as one of your location choices.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

If I can figure out what SLT means in local time

SLT is Pacific time in the US, So just figure out what time it is where you are when it is a particular SL time in San Fransisco. For me its 3 hours off. 

• Like 4