Abuse

Tina Landau

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Something weird happened today as I was alone on my sim. I was not near my computer one unknown person tped in and all of a sudden i could see my avatar moving around, I had detached just about anything i wore just a few days before to ease the lag. I wasnt wearing a collar or anything like that and rlv was not on. Also I didnt accept anything from anybody as i was not near the computer. How is that possible. I banned the avatar that tped in 8 months old didnt stay long nothing much on profile but i dont know if it was her doing it.My land is group owned and only group memebers can rezz and this avatar is not in my group.

Edited by Tina Landau

10 answers to this question

I can imagine ways to do what you describe, which means that there are almost certainly other ways that I haven't imagined yet.  You may have set the permissions on your land to prevent non-group members from rezzing things, but that won't prevent people from wandering in with things that they wear or vehicles that they are riding.  Attachments and "vehicles" can take almost any form and size, and can be transparent so not necessarily obvious. All your visitor would need is a vehicle or a hand-held weapon with a script that can deliver a push.  Or, actually, all he needs to do is bump into you.  Shoving unwitting newbies into a pond is a time-honored (though sophomoric) prank in SL. 

• Like 1

I dont think my computer is hacked i scan it regularly and have my firewalls and everything running and everything seems normal. My account dont seem hacked also but changing password either way. I think it must be something like you said Rolig or i hope it is something like that because it does worry me a bit when stuff like that happens. 

Hi Tina,

From what you've described, there's NO reason to think you were hacked. It's quite easy to push people directly (just walk into them) or with objects, as Rolig described. If the griefer is invisible (very easy to do, just wear a full body alpha layer), you'd only see their name tag in the vicinity of your moving avatar as they push you around.

24 minutes ago, Tina Landau said:

I dont think my computer is hacked i scan it regularly and have my firewalls and everything running and everything seems normal. My account dont seem hacked also but changing password either way. I think it must be something like you said Rolig or i hope it is something like that because it does worry me a bit when stuff like that happens. 

Don't let it worry you too much.  On a 1 to 10 scale of Griefing Nastiness, this rates maybe a 1 or a 2 --  annoying but not much more.  Griefers can do some genuinely evil things that end up costing you money, destroying things you have spent ages creating, damaging your computer, or compromising your identity.  This one isn't in that class.  If you are truly concerned, you can invest in a security orb for your land, but I wouldn't even do that, personally.

Thanks so much for the help I feel much better now. Nobody was walking into me thats why I thought it was odd and i didnt see anything hit me but I never thought about weapons pushing you etc. I am sure that was it cause it stopped as soon as she left. Thanks so much again for the help :D

11 hours ago, XxOBL1V10NxX said:

I'm afraid I cant help you with that. Either your account is stolen or your computer is hacked.. Idk if that is the case but can you please read my post I posted recently on technical? I need help with some stuff..

Sorry, that's not possible in this case.  The OP stated they were logged in.  Even if someone else has that account password, they could not then log in and assume control of the OP's avatar.

Most huggers and other animating devices only animate you one time, after you grant them permission.  But there is a HUD that can take the permission to animate you permanently.  If you got an animation request from someone wearing a HUD like this, and accepted it, they could then animate your avatar any time the two of you are in the same region.

To test if this is the case, the next time it happens, go to Avatar/Avatar Health/Stop Animations and Revoke Permissions.  (If you use the Firestorm viewer).  If the animation stops, that is what's happening...even if it starts happening again a bit later; the Revoke Permissions trick is not a permanent fix, if the attacker knows what they are doing.  Ban them from your land, and ask the estate owner to issue a region or an estate ban against them.

By the sounds of it the user was wearing some kind of hud or tool designed to grief you and push you around this is something i've seen and been victim of from certain users the only fast acting remedy is to sit down on an object do a forced ground sit or TP elsewhere in the places i visit where this happens the force ground sit gets them kicked out of the sim and not me

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.