Lost L$1500 on the MP - just tough luck?

Sassanach7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Purchased an item for my best friend (we share an apartment and a laptop!) that she needs for work in SL.

My friend never received the item and I'm now down L$1500.

We've tried to IM the seller twice (she was online both times) - no response.  Then we tried sending a notecard that included the relevant details of the sale from my order page ("gift for..." included).  Again, no response.

I can only think that the seller either doesn't speak English or is just happy to rip customers off.

Would I be right in assuming the Lindens attitude would be one of 'tough luck' and that there's no recourse for victims of dishonest sellers?

It's not as though this item hasn't been purchased before - it's received a fairly healthy number of positive feedback, which is the whole reason I wanted to buy it for my bestie.

Also, it seems I'm not able to write a review for this item ("you must purchase the product before you can review it") but neither can my friend, who's the intended recipient - she gets exactly the same message, which really sucks.

This is frustratingly and blatantly unfair.

See if there is a redelivery terminal in her store?

Also be aware that even if people are online, they may be very busy, add in a crash ane messages can be lost.

Try a notecard, stay polite because honey catches more flies than vinegar.

See if there are any CS people in their picks.

Wait until they are online, then go to their store.

Otherwise, yeah, SOL sadly. 

Thanks for that, Callum.

I did send a polite notecard giving all the relevant order details - after trying to IM her - no response to either.

She doesn't have an in-world store.

She doesn't have any picks in her profile (how convenient).

She also has a funky mess of symbols on either end of her name just to make it difficult to find her in a people search (unfortunately for her, I'm like a sniffer dog - can find almost anyone or any thing).

She's been online continuously for the last 3 hours (since purchasing the item).

Might have to deliver an ultimatum: deliver,  refund - or - be named and shamed.

It's doubly frustrating because I've spent the last 3 months trying to get my friend to come into SL (she finally did a few weeks ago) but this sort of caper doesn't leave a great first impression.

Also don't understand why neither myself (the buyer) or my friend (the gift recipient) can leave a review.

Sassanach7 wrote:

She also has a funky mess of symbols on either end of her name just to make it difficult to find her in a people search (unfortunately for her, I'm like a sniffer dog - can find almost anyone or any thing).

Now that's just paranoid though.  What you're referring to there is the display name and should NEVER be used as a reference to an account name.  Other than stating that display names are up there among the singularly most dumb moves that LL has ever made, someone can change their name regularly so you should never ever consider a display name as anything more than the colour of the T shirt they're wearing on any given day.

Always use the account name.  You cannot have unicode characters in an account name and an account name will never change for an account, unless LL changes someones name.

Sassanach7 wrote:

I can only think that the seller either doesn't speak English or is just happy to rip customers off.

Would I be right in assuming the Lindens attitude would be one of 'tough luck' and that there's no recourse for victims of dishonest sellers?

Most likely, yes and yes.

if the items is an actual marketplace delivery failure then its not the merchants fault, reviewing it as such the review can be removed.

First start by checking both your market place transactions history to see if the system even thinks it got there.

If it's a failed delivery LL might look in to it if you have the transaction record and put in a support ticket.

If this happened recently then the merchant like most people this time of year may be taking time off from SL work, and my be afk, logged in on a phone or even running as a bot to do group invites or other work.  normally id say give them  24 or 48 hours to respond but over the holidays it may be much longer.  

it sounds like your friend is new to SL they might not be looking in the right place for it ?  was it an adult item they might not be set up to receive adults items yet ?

if a merchant was going to try to rip you off they still have to sell you something even if its just a empty box they can't make an empty listing.

Correct, of course. Amazing that some people -- many, judging from this thread -- still don't understand that a merchant does not handle MP deliveries. It is not even possible to have an empty listing. When there is a "delivery problem" these days, 99 times out of 100 it has to do with the buyer's inventory or connection, not the marketplace, and certainly not a merchant Trying to "rip them off".

What must life be like, when one never considers the possibility that when something goes wrong, it's ever your fault, but because someone is being mean to you.

I do believe that if there is a real scam by Mp sellers to scam people then I think LL has a care of duty to the  buyers .but only after the buyer has exhausted all avenues to retrieve goods or money, I would also think a min that one could claim for  LL to act should be set to L$600 or thereabouts.

This would also set a warning to buyers that is a system setup in case of scammers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.