question about small cpu upgrade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'd suggest bringing your pc to a computer shop which has spare cpu / graphics card for you to try on and see how it performs inworld, it might sound tedious but it's better than gambling on whether or not upgrading either would be better than the other. SL is really confusing to get right in this regard, sometimes I get low framerate while both my graphics card and cpu aren't even being completely used by SL, sometimes they do, but whether or not they are hardly determines framerate most of the time.

Teddythepervert wrote:

I'm thinking about upgrade. From phenom II to fx 6300. Will it make any difference in second life performance ?

Since AMD FX6300 is only $125, yes upgrade if it fits the socket on your current motherboard.

However, a new graphics card will increase your ability to run and enjoy Second Life more.

This will also have to fit your motherboard.

Next, because of your increased video card, you may need more power, so now you may also have to consider a new PSU for your system.

A "phenom II" can mean a lot, from dual-core to hexa-core. But there could also be an issue with your network connection or even a fault with your hard drive / SSD, hard to tell from a distance. Since you already mentioned GPU-Z, you might be willing to get MSI Afterburner and its OSD (on screen display) features to show you the load of your card, RAM, CPU ... pretty nifty and powerful to outline a bottleneck in one's setup. But anyway, before investing into the old and outdated FX tech, maybe try to cope with it for a little longer and wait for AMD's Zen release in January. It might make a difference to the currently Intel dominated CPU market ... perhaps. Wait and see. Concerning the power supply: even the current top gaming cards (GTX 1080 / 1070) to common gaming cards (RX 480 / 470 or GTX 1060 / 1050 Ti) won't consume more than that old card. Unless you have a really old or cheapskirt piece of junk to power your machine, that'll be the least reason to worry.

Teddythepervert wrote:

looks like amd card are not good for sl at all =(

Your card is literally resting in an almost idling state and you conclude that it'd be no good. That theory seems to have a hefty flaw. I've been using my HD 7950 3GB, Gigabyte Windforce version, for the past few years and it is the limiting factor for me, at least in real games like Battlefield 1. But since SL is far from being a fast-paced shooter, the card is still doing well.

Everybody, thanks for replies! I checked my mobo cpu support list and.... it does not suport fx cpu's T_T... like at all. So my plan to upgrade just cpu from 4 cores to 6 fx cores failed miserably. I think....*sigh* I will wait for that new "zen" cpu looks like it will be released quite "soon". Maybe will get used fx + used mobo cheaper. I'm quite poor person to be honest. Anyway... I still can enjoys sl :D just will need to wait more to get better experience.

• 2 months later...

Older thread, but current question many AMD owners ask: IF it were me ( and it is) The new AMD Ryzen processors are due out by approx. 3/3/2017 (according to AMD) & if the AMD hype is accurate that is what I'd buy (I am); instead of the current AMD FX series CPUs. The new Ryzen CPUs will use DDR4 RAM & support PCI-E 3.0 finally! In order to use a Ryzen CPU you'll need a new motherboard (AM3/AM3+ will NOT work), & DRR4 RAM. According to AMD you can re-use your current  after market, or OEM AMD CPU fan/heatsink or current CPU liquid cooling system. I would wait to see some 3rd party benchmark tests before purchasing one ( I am.)

"I Love Simplicity"

Now that is something I too agree with; since I used to use an AMD HD 7850 256 bit 2GB DDR5 CPU until TWO things happened. One: Ubuntu 16.04-Linux by default stopped providing a "tested" AMD GPU driver, which loaded mesh well along with superb system stability...Two: After trying the first available AMD-Linux driver off AMD's site I had nothing but issues rezzing mesh & even Ubuntu 16.04 x64 boot up problems. Nothing like the BSOD (black screen of death. If you look at the Forum pic of my current build I am using an EVGA Nvidia GTX 950 SSC GPU, BUT IF AMD had a decent Linux driver out that performed well on SL I'd be using a RX series card. I can tell you on W/10 (I do have one pc on my home network using it) after letting W/10 installing the AMD driver via auto udates I used the latest Singularity Build 6915 & it worked okay, BUT I am all about speed when using SL & the Nvidia cards do give better perfomance for SL use. Currently I use an AMD FX CPU, but after Ryzen is released & after I see some 3rd party benchmark tests, IF Ryzen is true to AMD's tests-hype I am going to buy one, new motherboard & DDR4 RAM. I got a great deal on my GTX 950 SSC, smooth as glass using Linux-SL, uses less power, & faster than my old HD 7850 too. I do wish AMD could provide a stable GPU driver for Ubuntu 16.04 x64 that loads mesh well. Of course I gave up on AMD-Linux drivers a little over a year ago. I believe the AMD GPU-SL issues lie within the architecture of the AMD GPU driver itself. 

"I Love SImplicity"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.