Jump to content

How to lower avatar complexity (avoiding being a jellydoll/jelly baby?)


Kibz1995
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I bought a kemono avatar and my complexity has Skyrocketed... I am wearing: 

  • Full body alpha
  • A typer
  • An AO
  • Kemono body v.1.12.17
  • Jeans
  • Venus anime head
  • A sweater (seems to be taking up most of my complexity, but I LOVE this sweater)
  • 2 sneakers
  • Mononobe no futo hair
  • And kemono default shape.

My complexity is currently 72859 wearing that full outfit.  Naked (with no hair, AO, typer, or clothes) I am 36150 complexity.  And I'm pretty sure that even completely naked (though I wouldn't walk around that way unless I want to get banned from the sim) I'd still appear as a jellydoll or jelly baby because the complexity is just so high! But I love the kemono avatar and I want to keep it... But my friend keeps seeing me as a blue color without a head.  Some people see me correctly, but some people don't.  

Is there a way to lower avatar complexity while still keeping the outfit, hair, AO, typer, and kemono shape? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Kibz1995 wrote:

Hello,

I bought a kemono avatar and my complexity has Skyrocketed... I am wearing: 
  • Full body alpha
  • A typer
  • An AO
  • Kemono body v.1.12.17
  • Jeans
  • Venus anime head
  • A sweater (seems to be taking up most of my complexity, but I LOVE this sweater)
  • 2 sneakers
  • Mononobe no futo hair
  • And kemono default shape.

My complexity is currently 72859 wearing that full outfit.  Naked (with no hair, AO, typer, or clothes) I am 36150 complexity.  And I'm pretty sure that even completely naked (though I wouldn't walk around that way unless I want to get banned from the sim) I'd still appear as a jellydoll or jelly baby because the complexity is just so high! But I love the kemono avatar and I want to keep it... But my friend keeps seeing me as a blue color without a head.  Some people see me correctly, but some people don't.  

Is there a way to lower avatar complexity while still keeping the outfit, hair, AO, typer, and kemono shape? 

72859 really isn't that high - it could be lower but it's not extreme by any means. I'd guess as many as half of all avatars wearing anything other than the most basic human avatars are going to be higher than that number. People who can't see you couldn't see large numbers of avatars, and it's only the Linden Lab viewer that even uses that feature right now anyway. Your friend can either raise the limit in their viewer or right click you and select "always render fully." Being seen without a head isn't from the jellydoll code; it would be a delay in loading the head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you both! I've even tried changing the pants and shoes and it hasn't worked.  I do get notifications on the top of the screen that say that my avatar can't be seen by anyone, or sometimes it says I can't be seen by half of people.  I'll make sure to let my friend know about the setting to be able to rez me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Kibz1995 wrote:

Thank you both! I've even tried changing the pants and shoes and it hasn't worked.  I do get notifications on the top of the screen that say that my avatar can't be seen by anyone, or sometimes it says I can't be seen by half of people.  I'll make sure to let my friend know about the setting to be able to rez me.

The numbers the official viewer gives you (along with those warnings) are...silly. Everyone with a halfway decent computer will turn up the numbers, because the standart level of 80.000 is ridicoulusly low compared to how the avatar market really looks like.

On top of that, one can be sure that people with potato-computers always had a different experiance than you, with lower graphics and mesh not loading. So your own experiance should always be a priority to you, as you have very little control over what other people see. At least thats how I handle it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Syo Emerald wrote:

 

The numbers the official viewer gives you (along with those warnings) are...silly. Everyone with a halfway decent computer will turn up the numbers, because the standart level of 80.000 is ridicoulusly low compared to how the avatar market really looks like.

Checks computer specs. Looks like you're wrong. :matte-motes-smile:

The market for just about everything to do with avatars is highly fragmented these days. I'm all for keeping the default low and turning it up if desired. From what I've seen, you can do a lot with 80,000 and efficiency in building/creating benefits all of us. Why waste resources if we don't need to?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been turning on the Avatar render weight display when I go to clubs lately (advanced menu>performance tools>show  render weight for avatars, in FireStorm).  Usually about half the avatars in a club have >80,000,  and `150 -250 k is not at all unusual.

Its clear that gummy limit value effects frame rate, but likely in a very machine dependant way. When I go to a busy place, monitor my frame rate, and play with the limit value, I only see a small increase in frame rate. And making half the people in the room invisible is a ridiculous price to pay to move my FR from 25 to 28. But I have a high end machine, so YMMV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I play around with the upper limit of what I see. But it depends on how bad some of the avatars are at the venue or where I am.

If all I need to do is drop off those as high as 150k and over that is what I do. But my computer is not top of the line and I get frame rates of 4 or 5 all to often. Limiting seeing avatars that are over 100k or more will get my frame rate up to 30 or more, a big difference. Being able to move is well worth not seeing half the people at a concert.

And OP, check your hair, I have found that is a big hit on complexity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Syo Emerald wrote:



The numbers the official viewer gives you (along with those warnings) are...silly. Everyone with a halfway decent computer will turn up the numbers, because the standart level of 80.000 is ridicoulusly low compared to how the avatar market really looks like.


I have to respectfully disagee. 80,000 is adequate although I have the limit set at a more reasonable 100,000. Anyone going over that will have to be a friend I want rendered or I won't individually render them. I don't care how beautiful they think they look, I won't see them.

I have quite easily adapted all my existing saved outfits to a complexity of between 30,000 - 40,000 and they all look great. Old jewellery was the main culprit in adding hugely to complexity values. My outfits include a mesh body, clothes, hair, shoes, jewellery and other minor adornments. There is absolutely no reason why others can't do the same, especially when clubbing or at other busy places. Just shop with complexity in mind and adapt to where you are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Syo Emerald wrote:


Kibz1995 wrote:

Thank you both! I've even tried changing the pants and shoes and it hasn't worked.  I do get notifications on the top of the screen that say that my avatar can't be seen by anyone, or sometimes it says I can't be seen by half of people.  I'll make sure to let my friend know about the setting to be able to rez me.

The numbers the official viewer gives you (along with those warnings) are...silly. Everyone with a halfway decent computer will turn up the numbers, because
the standart level of 80.000
is ridicoulusly low compared to how the avatar market really looks like.

On top of that, one can be sure that people with potato-computers always had a different experiance than you, with lower graphics and mesh not loading. So your own experiance should always be a priority to you, as you have very little control over what other people see. At least thats how I handle it.

80,000 isn't the standard cutoff level for the viewer - that was a miscommunication and/or a bug in the initial release. Using the current Maintenance viewer a computer that defaults to high graphics will have a cutoff of 350,000.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


entity0x wrote:

Basically it means you can't wear anything cool.

If I have any sci-fi pieces on my avatar, it skyrockets too.

Do you read these threads you dig up before posting too them? Because it looks like you just read the title so you can post something that seems like it adds something to the discussion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I have not logged into SL in many years. When I did what a rude surprise with this new jelly doll feature. Pretty much anyone wearing a mesh avatar is now a colored blob for me.

Any thing that I wear that is mesh causes me to get the people cannot see you message. If I wear my old system clothing and hair I am fine. I also hear others saying the same thing in group chats so this is just not an issue that I am having. So much for a uniform experiance in SL.

No more buying mesh clothing for me since I will be basically the only one that can see it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Hiker Losangeles wrote:

I have not logged into SL in many years. When I did what a rude surprise with this new jelly doll feature. Pretty much anyone wearing a mesh avatar is now a colored blob for me.

Any thing that I wear that is mesh causes me to get the people cannot see you message. If I wear my old system clothing and hair I am fine. I also hear others saying the same thing in group chats so this is just not an issue that I am having. So much for a uniform experiance in SL.

No more buying mesh clothing for me since I will be basically the only one that can see it.

If you "haven't logged into Second Life in many years." how do you have any mesh at all?

In general, mesh is usually not the culprit for high render weight. It's pretty routine to have a completely meshed-out avatar with lower draw weight than a pair of moderately complex sculpted shoes.

Numbers or it didn't happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Nyll Bergbahn wrote:

Syo Emerald wrote:



The numbers the official viewer gives you (along with those warnings) are...silly. Everyone with a halfway decent computer will turn up the numbers, because the standart level of 80.000 is ridicoulusly low compared to how the avatar market really looks like.

I have to respectfully disagee. 80,000 is adequate although I have the limit set at a more reasonable 100,000. Anyone going over that will have to be a friend I want rendered or I won't individually render them. I don't care how beautiful they think they look, I won't see them.

I have quite easily adapted all my existing saved outfits to a complexity of between 30,000 - 40,000 and they all look great. Old jewellery was the main culprit in adding hugely to complexity values. My outfits include a mesh body, clothes, hair, shoes, jewellery and other minor adornments. There is absolutely no reason why others can't do the same, especially when clubbing or at other busy places.
Just shop with complexity in mind
and adapt to where you are.

Well, seeing as there is no way to currently find out what an item will do to your ARC prior to purchase, how do you shop with complexity in mind? clothing varies so much is not even believable anymore. So, whats your secret?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:


 

Well, seeing as there is no way to currently find out what an item will do to your ARC prior to purchase, how do you shop with complexity in mind? clothing varies so much is not even believable anymore. So, whats your secret?


Simple, I try the demos and check. Black Dragon has had Complexity for ages and I'm used to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only mesh that I am wearing is a SMS ballcap and a pair of sneakers made by the same builder. The rest is system clothing a flight suit also made by SMS.

People do buy new clothing and avatars when they log in after a long time to keep up with the rest of the grid's improvements. I see people are still snarkey out here.

The numbers that keep popping up saying that people cannot see me is 34512. That is for a small ball cap,a pair of sneakers older system type skin and shape, along with  a system type flight suit that is not made of mesh only textures.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The message that comes up gives a number that merely says not all residents may see you (this message seems to appear even with low numbers) but if you're complexity is only 34512 with that outfit, you can pretty much guarantee everyone will see you under normal circumstances. I go down to 10,000 at busy fairs so I can shop without lag but 150,000 for most times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Hiker Losangeles wrote:

The only mesh that I am wearing is a SMS ballcap and a pair of sneakers made by the same builder. The rest is system clothing a flight suit also made by SMS.

People do buy new clothing and avatars when they log in after a long time to keep up with the rest of the grid's improvements. I see people are still snarkey out here.

The numbers that keep popping up saying that people cannot see me is 34512. That is for a small ball cap,a pair of sneakers older system type skin and shape, along with  a system type flight suit that is not made of mesh only textures.

 

 

If that hat and those shoes are actually mesh they're not made well - they're giving you higher complexity higher than most complete mesh bodies on the market. Those numbers are closer to what I'd expect from sculpted prims. Still, there's plenty of spotty mesh out there so I'm not saying they aren't.

However, that number is below the lowest default preset for Firestorm and if the Linden Lab viewer has a preset below that it would be the absolute lowest one. The only people who won't be able to see you are deliberately setting their values very low. Those same people will be seeing almost everyone as jellydolls, including many people who aren't wearing any mesh at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...