SL 32 bit and 64 bit

steph Arnott

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 2/16/2016 at 4:33 PM, DejaHo said:

Yes, especially with all the poor scripters (female?) in SL.

Excusez-moi?  May I inquire as to what you wish to indicate by poor 'female' scripters? Of course, there are female scripter just as skilled and professionally 'at the fore' as the male scripters! An close family acquaintance of mine is one and she's a highly talented at all aspects of 3D and animation, including scripting....I just joined and this was the first thing I read. Oh, how I loathe meaningless conflict....I do apologize, I wanted to ignore it, honestly I wanted to....but I just couldn't.....

6 minutes ago, YiniksaSSerpyne said:

Excusez-moi?  May I inquire as to what you wish to indicate by poor 'female' scripters? Of course, there are female scripter just as skilled and professionally 'at the fore' as the male scripters! An close family acquaintance of mine is one and she's a highly talented at all aspects of 3D and animation, including scripting....I just joined and this was the first thing I read. Oh, how I loathe meaningless conflict....I do apologize, I wanted to ignore it, honestly I wanted to....but I just couldn't.....

That post was made 4 years ago... in case you hadn't noticed.

13 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

That post was made 4 years ago... in case you hadn't noticed.

Yes, I did notice, but be it 4 years past or 4 centuries...I couldn't not say anything....It's just me. Yes, I do know, it does sound quite foolish to respond in such an active manner to such an old post. It is nonsensical to bother with something so trifling. No one pointed it out 4 years ago, or since though I'm sure people have viewed it....so I did now. I'm a bit touchy on the matter, but anywhoo, I didn't expect anyone to really bother or reply...It was more for my own...It was written then, but I read it now. I actually came here to learn about which viewer I should install, 32 or 64...as I just joined, but I suddenly read that and went ugh....grew up around 'girls can't do this and they're inferior' , and so I'm a bit passionate about it. I just react occasionally, not always. I try not to, but I still prefer to point out things that I see are off...regardless of when the errors are made....it's just quirky li'l me. :--) Sorry, I must seem like an idiot in the latter regard, and I don't blame y'all....

I joined Second Life, withal and forbye, as it seems to be medium in which I hope my art might thrive....but my SL viewer kept crashing and getting stuck upon loading, so I unistalled it and  it was mentioned elsewhere that Firestorm was another viewer and a good one, but their website was quite confusing as to which one (32 or 64) was better or the details of it....Unfortunately, I'm still a teensy bit confuzzled....

1 hour ago, YiniksaSSerpyne said:

my SL viewer kept crashing and getting stuck upon loading, so I unistalled it and  it was mentioned elsewhere that Firestorm was another viewer and a good one, but their website was quite confusing as to which one (32 or 64) was better or the details of it....Unfortunately, I'm still a teensy bit confuzzled....

go with the 64-bit version

to lower the graphics settings to lessen the strain on your computer

Firestorm viewer: menu: Avatar \ Preferences \ Graphics \ Quality and speed slider

Linden viewer: menu: Me \ Preferences \ Graphics \ Quality & speed slider

move the slider to your left (towards Low | Faster)

Edited by Mollymews

3 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

go with the 64-bit version

to lower the graphics settings to lessen the strain on your computer

menu: Avatar \ Preferences \ Graphics \ Quality and speed Performance

move the Performance slider to your left (towards Low)

Oh, thank you so much, 64-bit it is. Of course, attempting my utmost to adjust and hence, avoid crashing, is all one can do....

Anywhoo, you're very kind to help me, and so now I shall proceed to do exactly that....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YiniksaSSerpyne said:

No one pointed it out 4 years ago

I can't remember the details but I think we all decided that comment simply was too stupid to respond to. There was no need to make the poster look like a fool - he managed to do that all by himself. ;)

Does the 32 bit viewer even exist anymore btw?

Edited by ChinRey

8 hours ago, YiniksaSSerpyne said:

Yes, I did notice, but be it 4 years past or 4 centuries...I couldn't not say anything....It's just me. Yes, I do know, it does sound quite foolish to respond in such an active manner to such an old post. It is nonsensical to bother with something so trifling. No one pointed it out 4 years ago, or since though I'm sure people have viewed it....so I did now. I'm a bit touchy on the matter, but anywhoo, I didn't expect anyone to really bother or reply...It was more for my own...It was written then, but I read it now. I actually came here to learn about which viewer I should install, 32 or 64...as I just joined, but I suddenly read that and went ugh....grew up around 'girls can't do this and they're inferior' , and so I'm a bit passionate about it. I just react occasionally, not always. I try not to, but I still prefer to point out things that I see are off...regardless of when the errors are made....it's just quirky li'l me. :--) Sorry, I must seem like an idiot in the latter regard, and I don't blame y'all....

I joined Second Life, withal and forbye, as it seems to be medium in which I hope my art might thrive....but my SL viewer kept crashing and getting stuck upon loading, so I unistalled it and  it was mentioned elsewhere that Firestorm was another viewer and a good one, but their website was quite confusing as to which one (32 or 64) was better or the details of it....Unfortunately, I'm still a teensy bit confuzzled....

Since 32 bit is being phased out worldwide seems to me it would be wise to go with the 64 bit unless your pc isn't capable of running 64 bit.

Just be glad you didn't grow up with my two older brothers. 

Not sure what is confusing about this:

image.png.7efaa71c09f4f318fb3119a1cca5d38a.png

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_system_requirements

As a former member of the FS support team I highly recommend joining the inworld support group in the language of your choice. https://www.firestormviewer.org/support/

Edited by Selene Gregoire

6 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I can't remember the details but I think we all decided that comment simply was too stupid to respond to. There was no need to make the poster look like a fool - he managed to do that all by himself. ;)

Exactly, and I believe that neither of the verbal combatants is still in SL.

As told, I did download the 64-bit one....my computer is 64-bit as well. I was only confused as it was mentioned elsewhere that even if the computer does run upon 64-bit, some things on SL only function with 32-bit....And aye, sometimes some things are too foolish to respond to, without sounding daft yourself. I've got to keep that in mind, and I admit, to be a tad more pragmatic. Regardless, everybody here and SL society has hitherto been fairly complaisant, and I am grateful for that. A bunch of thanks to ya, and I honestly do hope you're all spiffing.... :--)  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YiniksaSSerpyne said:

I was only confused as it was mentioned elsewhere that even if the computer does run upon 64-bit, some things on SL only function with 32-bit...

That's the four years old part.

What happened was that Firestorm released a 64 bit viewer long before LL did. Without going into details, there were certain parts of the code they couldn't implement in that viewer themselves so they had to wait for LL's official 64 bit viewer to arrive before they could add full functionality to their 64 bit version. That was years ago though and there are no such issues today.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.