SL 32 bit and 64 bit

steph Arnott

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

That's a question I wondered about myself earlier today, having read a comment here somewhere about Havok and 32 bit. I've always installed 64-bit Firestorm, and I wondered if I'm missing something important. This is what I've found out so far with some searching...

First, as KarenMichelle said, 64-bit gives the advantage of being able to use more memory, and (theoretically at least) use any amount more efficiently. Assuming of course you are running 64-bit Windows (or Linux???). Usually it's a no-brainer to use 64-bit software on a 64-bit system. But...

Since LL only uses the 32-bit Havok library, we don't get that in the 64-bit viewers. Apparently the 64-bit library costs extra.

It seems it is only of significance if one designs pathfinding things, or uploads mesh. Now, I've been uploading a *lot* of mesh recently and I've not realised that I was missing anything at all. I think it matters if one lets the viewer auto-generate the physics shapes. Without the Havok engine, that apparently does not work well. I don't do that, I make specific triangle-based physics shapes so maybe that's why I've not noticed anything lacking.

That's what I've found so far, and might not be right given the Internet's (lack of) factual reliability. Perhaps this is a question more fitting for the mesh forum, thinking about it.

the 64 bit viewers need to rely on an open source library for making automatic LoD models for mesh uploads. also they do not have the complete set of pathfinding development tools.

if you are not using those features, the missing Havok won't make any difference to you.

you can have both 32- and 64-bit viewers installed at the same time, just launch the one that works best for you at the moment.

steph Arnott wrote:

So phsics wise it seems the same inworld?

The question make no sense.  It's all relative - all of it - from bandwidth to NIC to cpu to ram to 32/64 bit processing.  It's all relative and if you don't know what to look for then you will never see. 

steph Arnott wrote:

OK, watched them, so how does it use physics as Havok is only on the 32 bit?

It's the uploading that matters there. The viewer needs some libraries to generate physics models correctly and those libraries are not available as 64 bit. Once the mesh is uploaded, it doesn't matter what kind of viewer you use since it's not involved in the physics part of SL anyway - the server takes care of that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.