no rights in group or personally (really not!) and yet someone was able to return an item?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3133 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

we checked extensively about personal and group rights but this person should NOT have been able to return something from the land to me and yet she was able to. Does anybody know if *deeded* to group items somehow are treated differently and CAN be returned by group members even IF they do not have this ON in their allowed abilities?

What you describe sounds like it breaks the rules. I suggest you document this event the best you can then file a JIRA about it with everything you can provide. That includes the Region Name, Object Name, Object Owner, Returning Avatar Name and the Date / Time when the person returned the object. You should also include their Group Info (Roles they have, Abilities they are allowed, etc.).

It's possible they are in a higher ability Role but just had a lower ability Role active at the time Even though they are currently showing a lower ability Role, they will always have the abilities of the higher ability Role they possess.

You can File a JIRA Here

I tested this with an alt who is a member of my group but does not have return powers. I created three boxes:

- a box I owned

- a box I owned but shared with my group

- a box that was deeded to the group (therefore owned by the group)

My alt couldn't return the box I owned or the deeded box, but was able to return the one shared with the group. He could've taken the shared object as well. I almost never share items, but I believe that's the expected behavior. It's not something you'd normally set unless you wanted someone to take the item or take a copy.

ETA: Unfortunately, you have to share the object before you can deed it so it's quite possible to do the first step & forget the second.

LinnaeaBorealis wrote:

Does anybody know if *deeded* to group items somehow are treated differently and CAN be returned by group members even IF they do not have this ON in their allowed abilities?

They most certainly can and the same goes for objects shared with the group.  Which is why you should never share or deed objects to a group unless you absolutely have to in order for that object to function... such as a radio (which needs to be deeded to group-owned land in order to access the parcel music settings).

This is expected behavior and not a bug, as some have suggested.

...Dres

CheriColette wrote:

What is the problem with items going back to owner?  Is it just inconvience (and having to rez them again) or something more? 

When you return things that are deeded to a group, a warning pops up that tells you something about no copy items being lost instead of going back to their original owner (deeding something to a group essentially makes the group the owner).  Now, I've never had an issue with no copy items which I've deeded not being returned to my inventory, so I've no idea under which circumstances this might occur... but I suppose it does or else there wouldn't be that warning.

...Dres

Okay...thanks Dres. My partner and I have everything set to group, so thats why I asked. We not had problems that way. Something to look out for. 

One day I did find a jetski within our boundary and I got notice, like you said, when I clicked to return it to owner. So I didnt go through with it and looked her up and messaged her to come get it. 

CheriColette wrote:

Okay...thanks Dres. My partner and I have everything set to group, so thats why I asked. We not had problems that way. Something to look out for.

Setting something to group isn't the same as deeding it.  When deeding an object to a group, you're essentially transferring ownership of that object to that group.  When setting an object to a group, you're still the owner of that object.  Basically, having an object set to a land group, simply ensures that it will not be auto-returned.

CheriColette wrote:

One day I did find a jetski within our boundary and I got notice, like you said, when I clicked to return it to owner. So I didnt go through with it and looked her up and messaged her to come get it. 

I would've just returned it.  Most vehicles are copyable, which is often the reason they get left places like that.  Having them returned is probably a common occurrence for people that leave them where they shouldn't.  Regardless, if it wasn't copyable and, consequently, doesn't get returned to its owner's inventory upon being returned, that's their bad... after all, they are the one who decided to just leave it there in the first place, forcing you to have to deal with it.

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3133 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.