Music plays when you are near someone

Zoogin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am pretty new to SL and I find it really fun. I've been trying to find an answer for the following question.

For example. You are at some place where there is no music at all. Then some of the other people in there starts playing their own music. I just can't find out how to do that. I've been searching and searching but all I can find is how to stream music through your own land or as a DJ.

Those are typically scripted objects which play back short sound clips (though sometimes many sequenced to make a longer tune).

They're usually REALLY flipping annoying because some moronic turd has suddenly decided to inflict their usually unwanted taste in music on everyone else nearby.

It's not a problem though, that's what the mute function is for and it works very well.

I'm still waiting for a viewer add on though which will insta-mute gesturbators and sound spammers, that would be an awesome viewer feature :)

Thanks for the reply. What I'm looking for is this. Suppose that you are 7-8 people at some land and you all want to dance to some music. Well someone has to provide the music if there isn't any. I have seen people start playing different songs right away. So that is what I'm looking for. 

Here's another thread with a similar question.
https://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/How-do-you-stream-online-radio-on-your-Person-and-people-around/td-p/2223251

I have not tried this personally but it looks to be easyt enough to do; maybe look in the MP to see if something is already made that would work for your.

and just because I can't leave a line like this alone ...

Zoogin wrote:

Music plays when you are near someone

I know exactly what you mean.  Every time I am near Clover, I hear music.  My heart pounds with the base and strings sing in my ear.I hear a siren's call that would make an angel blush in shame until I realize it is my Pet saying "Hello, Mistress." Can it be?  I had given up hope that it existed.  But I feel it.  I hear it.  And I know it can't be true; but I think it is Love.

For the most part, those are a scripted gesture that the music has been loaded in to SL 10 secs at a time and then are combined into one long gesture. Not only are they annoying but they cause MASSIVE lag. Not only does the sim have to load it to those nearby, it also has to load the sound files to every single avi on the sim, even if they aren't withing hearing range. If one comes on sim while it's playing...the sounds have to sent to that avi as well....Massive, massive lag creators and drain on sim resources since it's a server-side action, not client side

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

a few looping sound clips is a very ineffecent way of playing music.

L$50  and take your radio with you.  Res in world (either on the gound or attached to the avatar) and everyone nerar can hear the music as well.

How do you convert a shoutcast link in to the flashplayer links it uses?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.