Friend has just got a perm ban!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A friend of mine has received a perm ban for

"severe or repeated violations of the Second Life Terms of Service
or Community Standards. Your (account name) and alternate Second Life accounts have been
made permanently inaccessible.

Appeal Process: The decision to terminate your Second Life
access was reached after investigation of your use of the
Second Life software and service."

And I know ones here have often said theres no smoke..... she can not fathom what on earth she has done wrong

She does not give away or sell goods, she doesnt child play or abuse anyone all she does is hang around the adult areas as a submissive.

She will of course appeal, but what could she have done that would instigate such a ban is there anything new thats been added that she and anyone else with an adult lifestyle needs to know about. Has anyone else been banned without any other prior warning.

Thanks for any reply

I would suggest she reads the TOS line by line and finds the one she may have broken or could be interpreted that way, though I have never really understood why LL don`t just tell people what they did wrong, afterall how are you supposed to appeal it if you don`t know what "it" is?

There are too many for us to actually guess which one it might be :D

I know her well and she is not a person that would do anything wrong, or anything different from anyone with an adult RP lifestyle, no child play, kept only to adult sims when in RP, she had no notification at all just the ban. The only thing she had said to me is that she has used the word "daddy" in a sim that I don't know the name off but is a BDSM sim that uses daddy as a reference to a DOM.. I am myself not that familiar with the whole BDSM RP scene but as far as I know its not a child related term in this context. As you see she is really clutching at straws to think of anything that she could have been banned for.

Zen Muliaina wrote:

I know her well and she is not a person that would do anything wrong, or anything different from anyone with an adult RP lifestyle, no child play, kept only to adult sims when in RP, she had no notification at all just the ban. The only thing she had said to me is that she has used the word "daddy" in a sim that I don't know the name off but is a BDSM sim that uses daddy as a reference to a DOM.. I am myself not that familiar with the whole BDSM RP scene but as far as I know its not a child related term in this context. As you see she is really clutching at straws to think of anything that she could have been banned for.

And there you go. A third party or anyone new to that sim and the jargon they use may well have sent in a report. In many instances, Linden Lab doesn't care what the context is or how terms are used in a specific sim.

Linden Lab can ban (and has banned) people over things which are normal in the sims they frequent. All on the strength of a single, well worded report.

Zen Muliaina wrote:

errrr how do u make an appeal, there is no ticket option in the submit ticket support!! The information online points to the main support page

My account has been unfairly or incorrectly suspended or permanently closed by Linden Lab — how can I appeal this decision?

Linden Lab takes violations of the Second Life Terms of Service and Community Standards very seriously. The decision to apply a suspension or permanent closure for your Second Life account(s) is reached after investigation of your use of the Second Life software and service. Residents are not allowed to participate in the Second Life virtual world if their accounts have been suspended or disabled for violations of our Terms of Service.

However, if you can maintain in good faith that the violations were not due to your actions or negligence, or the actions or negligence of others working for you, you may appeal the suspension or closure of your account(s) in writing to the address below. Please provide any relevant information that you believe would explain the violations we detected. Linden Lab reserves sole discretion in considering whether to take any action on a written appeal. If you would like to appeal your warning or suspension, you may contact Second Life Support, in writing, at the address below:

Attn: Account Reviews: Appeals Linden Lab 945 Battery Street San Francisco, CA 94111

Or by fax: 415-651-9221

We also accept appeals filed electronically using the ticket submission process described above.

Not sure about that last bit, you can`t submit a ticket if your banned. :smileyindifferent:

Peewee Musytari wrote:

I would suggest she reads the TOS line by line and finds the one she may have broken or could be interpreted that way, though
I have never really understood why LL don`t just tell people what they did wrong, afterall how are you supposed to appeal it if you don`t know what "it" is?

There are too many for us to actually guess which one it might be
:D

Regarding the line I bolded above: This is a subject I have brought forward for discussion in many different instances ... and it applies throughout many of the SL and LL "properties" too.

An integral part of Moderation (and in this instance, Rules Enforcement) is the education of the offender to help prevent a repeat offense. Any breach of the rules, however it may be punished or corrected, should always include a complete and fully explained description of the offense. Without that reference, the "guilty" are left completely unable to amend their ways.

While it is true that for many instances the offense is readily apparent, there are also many times when it is not ... or worse when the accusations made are false (filed as a form of harassment or griefing for example).

I do not have any objection to LL taking the drastic step of permanently banning an account, however I do find it unforgivable that such action does not contain a complete description of the offense that brought on the punishment.

I also find it ... at least hard to believe, if not most likely incorrect .. that LL would permanently ban an account without at least one prior incident. I would suggest you speak very closely with your friend and push them on the point of prior offenses. Chances are good, IMO, that you are not quite hearing the whole story here.

With that said, my objection to the punishment and banning process stands ... without full disclosure of the exact offense and its particulars, nothing but anger and retribution will result. In my opinion, LL still has a ways to go yet before they get this critical part right.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

I also find it ... at least hard to believe, if not most likely incorrect .. that LL would permanently ban an account without at least one prior incident.

I agree with that unless the 'crime' is really bad. I also agree that the OP may not have been told the full story. If the person hadn't previously had a warning, then the reason for the ban must be really bad and she would know what it is. If the reason isn't really bad, and it's something she did, then I'm sure she would have previously received a warning or a shortish suspension for it.

So, assuming that the person who issued the ban didn't get out of bed on the wrong side that day, either she knows the reason and isn't saying, or it was caused by some vindictive or nasty ARs which descibed a really bad 'crime', imo. It could well be that the use of the word "daddy" was gone to town on by some stupid person who reported it as child sexplay.

The fact that LL doesn't provide the reason is a side issue, but is abominable.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

I also find it ... at least hard to believe, if not most likely incorrect .. that LL would permanently ban an account without at least one prior incident.

I agree with that unless the 'crime' is really bad. I also agree that the OP may not have been told the full story. If the person hadn't previously had a warning, then the reason for the ban must be really bad and she would know what it is. If the reason isn't really bad, and it's something she did, then I'm sure she would have previously received a warning or a shortish suspension for it.

So, assuming that the person who issued the ban didn't get out of bed on the wrong side that day, either she knows the reason and isn't saying, or it was caused by some vindictive or nasty ARs which descibed a really bad 'crime', imo. It could well be that the use of the word "daddy" was gone to town on by some stupid person who reported it as child sexplay.

The fact that LL doesn't provide the reason is a side issue, but is abominable.

There are a few things which Linden Lab bans for without any prior warning. Before the merge with the old Teen Grid, being underage was one of them. Filing such a report was a favored tactic of griefers in Role Playing areas. Using my prior post as a jumping off point, sexualized age-play is another insta-ban issue. That one is yet another favored tactic of griefers visiting RP areas.

It's also something that most users are utterly unaware of. The friends I do have who Role Play or who are into BDSM (both being groups I 'play' with regularly) used to ask me why one of my "Limits" and unstated rules concerned specific terms and words.

Crap like this? There's the reason.

• 3 months later...

well i for 1 can say. they dont give worning and the use of daddy words to LL is age play, I have full ban even IP ban from daddy rp. I know it was probly submitted by just a pic or somthing for non was done in public, Stupid people assume things.

Sadly LL wont give you any wornings and they wont give you the evadence on this offence so you can never deffend yourself or change your ways.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.