Threads against the spam

Ishtara

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As I understood it, the L$ spam'n'scam was one of the reasons for the platform change from Jive to Lithium. Now it's time for Lithium to work its magic.

LL can't possibly expect us to AR 24 threads each day. Besides, the moderators only seem to be around during LL's work hours. I'm really curious to see if Lithium came with a magic bullet for cases like this.

So far, I only see a huge disadvantage of the current forum settings, namely the sorting by thread date instead of the date of the last post. In other words, replying to threads is not enough to bury the spam. We'd have to start 24 new threads after the scammers have posted their daily drive-by spam.

The sort order also creates a problem with those epic social threads like "Please ignore and let this one die". It is already on page two of the thread overview, despite having had new replies today. Whereas some of the threads on page one didn't have any recent replies. It would be great if we could change the sort order somehow, instead of having to dig deep into the forum history in order to find all recent posts.

Ishtara wrote:

LL can't possibly expect us to AR 24 threads each day.

The spammer whose profile I'm looking at right now has so far posted 40 times since registering three hours ago. If LL can keep people from posting YouTube vids, one would think they could throttle that kind of posting. But that's too simple, I guess..

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Ishtara wrote:

LL can't possibly expect us to AR 24 threads each day.

The spammer whose profile I'm looking at right now has so far posted
times since
registering
three hours ago. If LL can keep people from posting YouTube vids, one would think they could throttle that kind of posting. But that's too simple, I guess..

I guess if LL enforced some sort of delay between posts or new threads, like the annoying two minute timer that we had to put up with in the old forums, the scammers would simply create several accounts and switch between them.

The only effective way to deal with this might be to restrict posting abilities to account-verified residents, i.e. residents with payment info on file. That was the case on the old vBulletin boards that we had before the Jive blogrum, and I didn't see too many complaints about it (probably because the people who would have wanted to complain couldn't post).

Opensource Obscure wrote:

I don't think this is a big deal.

They will be able to solve this and avoid it happens in the future. It's not rocket science.

Hi, welcome to Linden Labs. Over here we have a water fountain. It doesn't work, but we find that if you stare at it long enough you'll stop feeling thirsty and wander away.

Ishtara wrote:

... I didn't see too many complaints about it (probably because the people who would have wanted to complain couldn't post).

LOL! Yeah, that might have something to do with it..

I considered the possibility of LL restricting the ability to post to those with PIOF, but there are a lot of people with NPIOF who I'm sure have made, or might make, valuable contributions to the Forum. If they weren't able to, I feel we would all lose. Plus, there's that whole classist thing.

If the scammers have to switch between accounts to get their quota in, too bad. I think LL should make it as difficult as possible for them.

Does a legitimate resident with a
three-hours-old
account need to post 40 new threads in that space of time? I'd wager not.

So.. restricting new registrants to a fixed number of posts per day for say.. the first week wouldn't be so bad. If they're legitimate posts, all's good and you get a gold star and more privileges. It it's bot spam.. not so much.

Opensource Obscure wrote:

I don't think this is a big deal.

They will be able to solve this and avoid it happens in the future. It's not rocket science.

It shouldn't be a big deal. Agreed.

You yet strike a subtle but interesting issue here. Any decent webmaster should be able to contain this. After all .. the enemy is an almost anonymous website with a single yahoo mailaccount as contact info. Not a multi million dollar corporation.

Question remains : amongst all these moderators and Lindens controlling Lithium .. isn't  there one decent webcoder to prevent all this ?

Was at least not the case in Jive-software forumdays afaik. I'm afraid it still isn't.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

three-hours-old

So.. restricting new registrants to a fixed number of posts per day for say.. the first week wouldn't be so bad. If they're legitimate posts, all's good and you get a gold star and more privileges. It it's bot spam.. not so much.

I know plenty of message boards where your first handful of posts (never mind threads) are moderated until they decide you're OK.

I suspect our spammer is practically doing it out of principle now, laughing the whole way. Posting to abuse and griefing must have caused their sides to hurt. :)

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

If the scammers have to switch between accounts to get their quota in, too bad. I think LL should make it as difficult as possible for them.

three-hours-old

Threads? No. Posts? Perhaps.

This account that I'm posting with is relatively new too. The new moderation is quite draconic (and yet never around when we really need them, go figure), and I don't want to risk access to the blog and commerce forums with my main account. So I posted as Ishtara Resident for the first time today.

If there were severe restrictions, I might not have been able to post 18 times and start two new threads today. What's worse, a real newcomer might not be able to ask two questions in a row. I'm afraid that restrictions only hurt real newbies with legitimate questions in the end.

But a thread limit for new accounts still makes sense. If necessary, new residents could post a question to an existing thread. A post limit, on the other hand, does more harm than it might prevent, imho.

@Ishtara: We have been assured that the moderation team works 7x24. Presumably the spam outbreak means that they are not competent to deal with such things. I wonder if they have just sent the spammer lots of email warnings. Lithium's reputation is now on the line and they really need to look into using a Bayesian filter (I use POPfile and after one week of training I have had FIVE YEARS of NO SPAM and no false positives) to get rid of this stuff automatically.

Cato Badger wrote:

@Ishtara: We have been assured that the moderation team works 7x24. Presumably the spam outbreak means that they are not competent to deal with such things. I wonder if they have just sent the spammer lots of email warnings. Lithium's reputation is now on the line and they really need to look into using a Bayesian filter (I use POPfile and after one week of training I have had FIVE YEARS of NO SPAM and no false positives) to get rid of this stuff automatically.

That reads like something that could actually work. I've used Spam Bully for my email filtering in the past, which wasn't too bad either. Here's to hoping that LL find a filter that blocks the super spammers, which would currently be more useful than Lithium's superfan identification system.

Ishtara wrote:

As I understood it, the L$ spam'n'scam was one of the reasons for the platform change from Jive to Lithium. Now it's time for Lithium to work its magic.

LL can't possibly expect us to AR 24 threads each day. Besides, the moderators only seem to be around during LL's work hours. I'm really curious to see if Lithium came with a magic bullet for cases like this.

Ummmm, yeah...what happened to the 24/7 moderation we were told would happen? :smileysurprised:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.