Sometimes when i am walking i find i can not stop for ages and loose control. How do i stop this?

Loki Eliot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4802 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

It happens randomly when i am walking along. Suddenly i can not stop and i just keep walking for ages not able to control or stop. Eventually i will get control back but sometimes i end up in a corner of some place and cant move. What did i do wrong?

9 answers to this question

Loki Eliot wrote:

It happens randomly when i am walking along. Suddenly i can not stop and i just keep walking for ages not able to control or stop. Eventually i will get control back but sometimes i end up in a corner of some place and cant move. What did i do wrong?

Sounds like major lag to me. Have you tried lowering your draw distance and other graphics settings?

This sounds like a classic lag situation. If I'm not mistaken, this happens either because of server lag, or because of connection issues.

If it is server lag, there is not much you can do about it. If it is on your own land, you can have a look at the number of scripts you have running, and how many processor cycles they are using (I think that's it...), but if it is on other peoples land, you really can not do much except notifying the owner of the land that you experience lag issues.

If it is connection lag it tends to be because of packet loss in my experience. This can be because of a poor quality internet connection, or from to high max bandwidth. You can try to reset the router and moden by unplugging them for a minute or so, then plug them in again, let a connection establish, and then see if the issue went away. As for the connection quality, you can try the test at http://www.pingtest.net/ a few times to see whether there are issues.

Finally, check the max bandwidth setting in Me->Preferences->Setup (I think - in viewer 2). Try lowering this number and see if it helps.

Hope some of this helps.

- Luc -

Loki you did nothing wrong that is just called LAG, if the island is really full of people, busy or has many prims it causes lag now and then.

The best thing is to have a good graphics card and plenty of  memory.

Try using another island and see if the same happens there.

Also your draw distance should not be set to ultra if you have an old graphics card.

Are you crossing a sim wall?

When you walk or fly across a sim wall (depending on the lag levels) it can take some time for your avatar to be handed over to the new sim and during that time you can appear to walking or flying endlessly. When you do officially arrive on the new sim you could be anywhere on the sim if you hadn`t stopped pressing the arrow keys.

Ideally you should stop trying to move your avatar as soon as you cross the sim wall and that way when you do stabilise you should still be standing somewhere near where you started.

Hi Loki, you didn't do anything wrong.  This problem is actually as old as SL itself.  Note that it can also happen while you are flying.  If the SIM you are moving around in is experiencing lag, OR if your internet connection slows a little, then SL gets confused.  Other causes are when your avatar is crossing sim boundaries because your avatar data has to transfer from one sim to the next.  Some things you can to:  immediately when you see your avatar doing this, stop trying to move.  Just let the viewer catch up.  Another trick is to try and move slowly, especially in areas where there are a lot of other avatars or laggy places on the grid.  Of course it's harder to cure, but a faster internet connection also helps.  

A little additional info to my previous post.

If you press ctrl-shift-1, you get the performance panel up. This panel will show whether your issues is because of server, and to some extent, network lag.

Close to the top of the panel is a number for packet loss. If this is more or less constantly above 0.0%, it is likely that the problems are because of network lag. Often, when this is the case, you will experience being logged out of SL.

Further down in the panel - and you may have to expand the different sections to see it - is a few numbers telling what is happening on the servers; the lower 'time dilation' is (below 0.99) the more lag you will experience, the lower sim and physics fps are, the more lag you will experience and the higher pending downloads and pending uploads are (above 0) the more issues you will have. Some of these will also affect how easy it is for you to teleport.

The graphics card and amount of memory on your pc, as others mention above, is in my experience more likely to affect the viewers framerate (which you can also see at the top in the performance panel) and make things go 'choppy'. It is less likely to make your avi walk on after you stop, or walk on the spot, like you describe. So if your avi is walking off into the distance by itself, but does it relatively smoothly, chances are it is not because of lack of memory or a poor graphics card. (I could be wrong, tho...)

- Luc -

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4802 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.