Forum Error

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is everyone else seeing this or is it just me?

On the front page of this GD sub-forum, the right column (Announcements, etc.) overwrites the end of the main (left) column, so that you can't actually read who wrote the latest post in any thread. You can see the first characters of the names but that's all. It was ok until a couple of days ago, but then it changed.to the error we have now.

I think what's happened is that someone has made a poor attempt at fixing the poor display when there's a long thread title. The fix being not to wrap a long title onto a new line but, instead, to have the right column overwrite part of the main column, which, imo, is a daft idea. Not wrapping long titles is a very good idea as long as the right column is pushed off the right edge.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firefox browser shows all pages ok.

Google Chrome browser shows all pages ok.

In IE browser I see the same error in the first page as you do, second page is ok.

(It's good to have many browsers installed. Then it's quick to check is some error a particular browser issue or is it affecting all browsers.)  :matte-motes-big-grin:

It sounds like it's browser specific. It only started a couple of days ago - maybe even yesterday - but I'm not aware of any Microsoft updates in the last couple of days. I don't think so, anyway. I get them automatically, but they don't install until I say ok or shut the computer down, so I always know when updates are being installed.

Can't repro on IE 5.5, 6 or 7 (which Lithium has exclusions for). Will be browser specific, always is with IE. Lithium stylesheets are a mess, I don't want to investigate before I'm sure I'm seeing what you're seeing.

IE 8, 9, 10 and 11 all use "Compatibility Mode" that brings IE into standards for every other browser. Can't repro through those either regardless of CM being on or off. Plenty of other compat issues, just not that one. :D

Recommend

1. Confirm page with faults is: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/bd-p/GeneralDiscussionForum
  2. Check IE settings for Compatibility Mode via Gear menu
  3. Get better browser. IE is not standards compliant and LL flat-out refuse to support it.

That's what I'd expect, too. I'm on the same build of IE 11.

Interestingly the page itself tries to render in a very old rendering mode - the default if no ideal IE version information is specified/detected. I assume Lithium just relies on CM to take over nowadays. (This cludgy detection mechanism on its own is a good reason to ditch IE.)

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Can't repro on IE 5.5, 6 or 7 (which Lithium has exclusions for). Will be browser specific, always is with IE. Lithium stylesheets are a mess, I don't want to investigate before I'm sure I'm seeing what you're seeing.

IE 8, 9, 10 and 11 all use "Compatibility Mode" that brings IE into standards for every other browser. Can't repro through those either regardless of CM being on or off. Plenty of other compat issues, just not that one.
:D

Recommend
  1. Confirm page with faults is: 
  3. Get better browser.
    IE is not standards compliant
    and LL flat-out refuse to support it.

I tried that. It stopped the right column from overwriting the main column. In fact it disposed of the right column altogether lol

The cure was worse than the disease. Not because it got rid of the right column, but because it wrapped every thread title, and it also moved the tabs at the top of the page so that they almost totally overwrote the breadcrumb links below them. So I'll stick with the error. The odd thing about it is that it's only the GD front page that's faulty. The next page displays fine.

There are no standards for browsers. I stick with the one that is shipped with Windows. That way, I am confident that any competant website designers will cater for it. Of course, website designers, who have a chip on their shoulders about Microsoft, and there are such people around, may not cater for IE, but that's their problem  not mine.

Sorry, not an argument. :)

You're using a website that has stylesheets coded in CSS. You can read the exceptions written specifically to bring IE into best-fit compliance yourself - they are plentiful.

I'd deal with diagnosis but likely pointless, Lithium is as Lithium does and you've been given a fix.

Next time!

Oh. I thought you'd want to argue about my statement that there are no standards for browsers.

I know CSS, and I know the hoops that have to be jumped through to cater for the various browsers. That's why I was delighted when Netscape folded, but, alas, some people couldn't leave it be, and they created more browsers, all of which implement their own sub-set of W3C recommendations. Hence the jumping through hoops. They could have done it more sensibly but they just had to do their own things and screw it up.

ETA: the fix didn't work. Or, more accurately, it only worked by removing the right column altogether, and wrapping every thread title. So really it didn't work, and I have no fix as yet.

browsers.JPG

SOURCE

Phil Deakins wrote:

Freya Mokusei wrote:

IE 8, 9, 10 and 11 all use "Compatibility Mode" that brings IE into standards for every other browser. Can't repro through those either regardless of CM being on or off. Plenty of other compat issues, just not that one.
:D

Recommend
  1. Confirm page with faults is: 
  3. Get better browser.
    IE is not standards compliant
    and LL flat-out refuse to support it.

I tried that. It stopped the right column from overwriting the main column. In fact it disposed of the right column altogether lol

The cure was worse than the disease. Not because it got rid of the right column, but because it wrapped every thread title, and it also moved the tabs at the top of the page so that they almost totally overwrote the breadcrumb links below them. So I'll stick with the error. The odd thing about it is that it's only the GD front page that's faulty. The next page displays fine.

There are no standards for browsers. I stick with the one that is shipped with Windows. That way, I am confident that any competant website designers will cater for it. Of course, website designers, who have a chip on their shoulders about Microsoft, and there are such people around, may not cater for IE, but that's their problem  not mine.

Actually, if you are going to do any optimizing you're going to focus on Chrome.

You're right, there are some people who "hate" anything Microsoft.

I use Firefox myself but not out of a "hate" for MS.

When it was introduced it had (and still has) Features I love.

The only reason I think MS is still so high on the list is all the "Grandmas" who just check their E Mail once a day.  And throw in Public Institutions (like my local library) who have no real reason to offer more options.

The only reason(s) I don't use Chrome is that there are a couple of things about it I don't like and because Google is so ubiquitous on the Web now I'm trying to keep them from completely monopolizing my life.

Not using any Google product other than the search engine is good, imo, so I approve of your reason for not using their browser.

I disagree with you about those who use IE. There was a lot of scaremongering some years ago, and Google were involved in that. Many people went off IE becuase of it, and they've stayed off. As a result Chrome later benefitted by word of mouth, as did Firefox at the time of the scaremongering.

The browser story is not dissimilar to the so-called popularity of 3rd party viewers. Most of those who use them do so because somebody told them such-and-such a viewer is better than the LL one. The result is that a great many people believe it, even though they never use the little bits that are actually better, and nobody's told them that their viewers are always in arrearts when something new is added. They just blindly believe what they've been told, and they don't have any reason to change their minds..

It's no different with browsers. In both cases, improvements have been made beause of other brands (IE improved because of other browsers, and LL's viewer improved because of 3rd party viewers), so others do have their uses

People get used to what they are familiar with, so a Firefox user who tries a different viewer will almost certainly prefer Firefox because s/he's used to it. It's no different with browsers.

Phil Deakins wrote:

ETA: the fix didn't work. Or, more accurately, it only worked by removing the right column altogether, and wrapping every thread title. So really it didn't work, and I have no fix as yet.

That's strange; on my computer the fix worked, but on your computer it did not work. What's going on?

My test environment for the fix was:

Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601).

Browser: IE, version 11.0.9600.17358

Phil Deakins wrote:

Not using any Google product other than the search engine is good, imo, so I approve of your reason for not using their browser.

I disagree with you about those who use IE. There was a lot of scaremongering some years ago, and Google were involved in that. Many people went off IE becuase of it, and they've stayed off. As a result Chrome later benefitted by word of mouth, as did Firefox at the time of the scaremongering.

The browser story is not dissimilar to the so-called popularity of 3rd party viewers. Most of those who use them do so because somebody told them such-and-such a viewer is better than the LL one. The result is that a great many people believe it, even though they never use the little bits that are actually better, and nobody's told them that their viewers are always in arrearts when something new is added. They just blindly believe what they've been told, and they don't have any reason to change their minds..

It's no different with browsers. In both cases, improvements have been made beause of other brands (IE improved because of other browsers, and LL's viewer improved because of 3rd party viewers), so others do have their uses

People get used to what they are familiar with, so a Firefox user who tries a different viewer will almost certainly prefer Firefox because s/he's used to it. It's no different with browsers.

You are right.  There are some people who use things with no real logic or thought.  Or even in response to "fear mongering."  Blindly following what soemone told them.

But are you 'blindly' following what MS does, assuming they are doing the best and most secure job?  Though I'll grant it can be very difficult for us lay people to really know sometimes.

As for me I have clear and tangible reasons I use Firefox for the Web and Firestorm for SL that I can clearly articulate.  And actually I think I am part of a majority, not a minority. 

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

That's strange; on my computer the fix worked, but on your computer it did not work. What's going on?

Well, on further study I noticed that there is another error in IE when the fix is applied. All the columns are ok, but now on the top the tabs (Answers, Forums, Blogs, Knowledge Base) have moved a bit downward covering text under them. This tab covering error appears to happen everywhere where the said tabs are present.

IE error.jpg

Ok, back to Firefox for error free forum browsing.  :smileyhappy:

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

My IE is the same as yours, so it's probably down to some setting or other. I also use Win7 but I don't know what service pack I have. I do know that it's bang up to date though; i.e. no updates are available.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.