THIS NEW SL LIFE?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Vivienne Schell wrote:

This sounds more like an attempt to develop a more mainstream and therefore stripped down, simplified, limited and regulated and basically different environment.

In post:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Linden-Lab-is-building-a-NEW-virtual-world/m-p/2758334#M185698

Ebbe Linden wrote:

... several areas will have radical improvements ...

... Animations will change (major mprovements as we don't currently do it the way it should be done) ...

Avatars will be radically improved as well ...

Haha, sure, so you expect an interactive Maya, yes? Or "Avatar"? Get real.

"Improvement" in business terminology is something which backs up reasonable usability for a defined target customer group and a specified harware configuration. Super detailed polygon monsters certainly are not an improvement in the context of a real time multiple user online environment. As i mentioned elsewhere, Cameron did not render "Avatar" on a home PC with a DSL connection.

You hit the nail on the head, toally agree with you,  I understand that they will say this and that, my concern is all those that will loose all thier stuff /land ect   will LL compersate I think they should if sl were to close for the SL2

thats it in a nutshell

greek Wingtips wrote:

You hit the nail on the head, toally agree with you,  I understand that they will say this and that, my concern is all those that will loose all thier stuff /land ect   will LL compersate I think they should if sl were to close for the SL2

thats it in a nutshell

Losing all your stuff is inevitable, whether LL is able to create another world or not.  News flash for the naive, Second Life will close one day, no matter what else happens.  You will some day lose your stuff.  If you spent money in Second Life and thought it would last forever, you were spending foolishly and only have yourself to blame.

greek Wingtips wrote:

...  I understand that they will say this and that, my concern is all those that will loose all thier stuff /land ect   will LL compersate I think they should if sl were to close for the SL2

thats it in a nutshell

If...

• if Linden Lab builds a new better world

• and if people will go in masses to that new world

• and if Second Life will be closed due to lack of people

I will demand full compensation from Linden Lab for everything what I have spent in Second Life.

Because Linden Lab killed Second Life. :smileymad:

• if Philip Rosendale builds a new better world

I will demand full compensation from Philip Rosendale for everything what I have spent in Second Life.

Because Philip Rosendale killed Second Life. :smileymad:

• if Utopia Inc. builds a new better world

I will demand full compensation from Utopia Inc. for everything what I have spent in Second Life.

Because Utopia Inc. killed Second Life. :smileymad:

Erm... wait... wait...   ashamed.gif   :matte-motes-bashful:   shh.gif

Embarrassed.jpg

Linden Lab hasn't totally ruled out the possibility that Second Life might be merged with the new world.  But even if it can't be, the new world could still have the Linden Dollar as its currency, in which case people could transfer money between the two worlds

Coby Foden wrote:

greek Wingtips wrote:

...  I understand that they will say this and that, my concern is all those that will loose all thier stuff /land ect   will LL compersate I think they should if sl were to close for the SL2

thats it in a nutshell

If...

• if
Linden Lab
builds a new better world

I will demand full compensation from Linden Lab for everything what I have spent in Second Life.

Because
Linden Lab
killed Second Life. :smileymad:

• if
Philip Rosendale

I will demand full compensation from Philip Rosendale for everything what I have spent in Second Life.

Because
Philip Rosendale

• if
Utopia Inc.

I will demand full compensation from Utopia Inc. for everything what I have spent in Second Life.

Because
Utopia Inc.

Erm... wait... wait...

ashamed.gif
  :matte-motes-bashful:  
shh.gif

Embarrassed.jpg

• If I lose my SL Girlfriend because she discovers Real Life is better

I will demand full compensation from The Real World for everything what I have spent in Second Life.

Because The Real World killed Second Life.

Plus I want a date with this girl:

brown.jpg

Conifer Dada wrote:

..., the new world could still have the Linden Dollar as its currency, in which case people could transfer money between the two worlds

Yes, that has been already stated by Ebbe. The money in the new world and in Second Life will the same L$. We can keep also our same avatar names in both worlds.

Ebbe already said that the new grid will use L's just like SL does, so you will lose no L's.

As far as compensation, forget it,  The TOS has ALWAYS said they can pull the plug for any reason and owe you  nothing, and you agreed to that.

That is not to say some inventory won't carry over, but it is too soon to know yet exactly what or if you have to be the creator to have it in your inventory there if anything does carry over.

Don't expect merchants to replace content there for free either, as a lot will have to be reworked to exist on the grid and that takes time and time is money.  You can't expect them to spend time on something that brings no money in, as many depend on the income. Many will start fresh and offer none of their products from SL there, and some may rework their latest stuff only.  Some may offer free replacement, but I suspect there will be limitations, such as you bought it in the last year, or offer it at a special price if you owned it in SL.

greek Wingtips wrote:

thats it in a nutshell

Linden Lab has never promised anything conserning user content. It's always been "temporary" - subject to dissappear at any time, for any reason or no reason at all.

Here's link to the TOS from April 14, 2004 (yes 2004 not 2014):

https://web.archive.org/web/20040414173333/http://secondlife.com/corporate/terms.php 

4.3 All Data Is Temporary. When using the Service, you may accumulate treasure, experience points, equipment, or other value or status indicators and contribute to the environment ("Accumulated Status"). THIS DATA, AND ANY OTHER DATA RESIDING ON LINDEN'S SERVERS, MAY BE RESET AT ANY TIME FOR ANY OR NO REASON. ALL CHARACTER HISTORY AND DATA MAY BE ERASED IN WHICH CASE EACH CHARACTER MAY BE RESET TO NOVICE STATUS. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT, NOTWITHSTANDING ANY COPYRIGHT OR OTHER RIGHTS YOU MAY HAVE WITH RESPECT TO ITEMS YOU CREATE USING THE SERVICE, ALL OF YOUR CONTENT AND ACCUMULATED STATUS HAS NO INTRINSIC CASH VALUE AND THAT LINDEN DOES NOT ENDORSE, AND EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS (SUBJECT TO ANY UNDERLYING RIGHTS IN THE CONTENT), ANY VALUE, CASH OR OTHERWISE, ATTRIBUTED TO CONTENT OR ACCUMULATED STATUS.

6.1 Content. You acknowledge that: (i) by using the Service you may have access to graphics, sound effects, music, video, audio, animation, text and other creative output (collectively, "Content"), and (ii) Content may be provided under license by independent content providers, including contributions from other Participants (all such independent content providers, "Content Providers"). Linden does not pre-screen Content. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT LINDEN HAS THE RIGHT, BUT NOT THE OBLIGATION, TO REMOVE ANY CONTENT (INCLUDING YOURS) IN WHOLE OR IN PART AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON OR NO REASON, WITH OR WITHOUT NOTICE AND WITH NO LIABILITY OF ANY KIND.

greek Wingtips wrote:

PLEASE BECAREFUL LL AND I WOULD LIKE TOTALL TRANSPARENCY AS TO YOUR INTENSIONS AND SHARE THIS WITH ALL OF US, PLEASE DONT SAY YOU DONT KNOW YET, AS WE ALL KNOW  COMPANIES ALL HAVE THERE END GOAL IN SITE

THE LAST PART OF THIS STATEMENT  IS INTENDED FOR LL NOT YOU FOLK

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're not going to get "Total Transparency" in any new game development. They keep their plans and features hidden for a reason. All staff working on a game dev sign NDA's which basically means they cannot reveal anything about the game, artwork, plans, etc etc etc 
This is done to protect the game from being copied by competitors who might be building a similar game. 

I agree with you though, the way this information was "leaked" is sloppy and has raised more conjecture, panic and insecurity than had they just released and official announcement and put it in black and white what WILL and WON'T be happening in terms of the original SL.

So far it all seems to be copied and pasted from meetings and "He said she said" 

They need to address the masses. 

I find it ironic that so many people complain about certain elements in SL, then break into a panic when SL announces they are making moves to improve. People have voiced negative opinions of the "god awful" avatars, and how somethings in SL arn't as nice as they are in similar websites. SL opts to start the transition to a more modern "next gen" platform and now their is wide spread panic? You can't make an omlet unless you break an egg, and you can't have a shiny, nice high definition website if you are mired in the graphical capability of the 1980's.

Personally I have a ton of inventory, as well as land and more. If SL moves to a new platform I stand to loose a lot as well. Sadly progress comes at a price, and I have had similar looses with the new xbox and ps game systems came out. In most cases "next gen" is not backwards compatible.

It should be noted almost all that is being said is pure speculation. SL has not made any announcements regarding land ownership or transferal of linden assets to the new product. It is not known when this new platform will become available, no timeframe has been given and people might be losing sleep over something that could be 2-3 years away.

Myself I will just enjoy SL as it is now, and when this new platform finally arrives I will look it over and deal with it then.

"...announces they are making moves to improve."

They did not exactly announce an improvement of SL, but the development of a "next generation" platform. Content will - according to their CEO Ebbe Altmans  postings on this forum - most probably not be compatible . Due to the fact that content in SL is 99% user created, this new platform will be everything but an improvement of Second Life.

"People have voiced negative opinions of the "god awful" avatars..." ´

"People" have complained on these since 2004, most likely because they cant use the tools to create a good looking avatar. Or maybe because their avatars don´t look like these gorgeous Hollywood stars. Or like themselves in photorealistic high definition 3D (Not likely)? Whatever, avatars in SL are as user created as everything else is, so "People" complain on themselves. Stupid, eh?

"..you can't have a shiny, nice high definition website if you are mired in the graphical capability of the 1980's."

OpenGL is as high definition as something can be.

http://www.opengl.org/

One could debate on the alternatives, which are ActiveX or WebGL or some fringe engine, but it´s total rubbish to talk of "graphical capabilities of the 1980´s". The throttle for SL performance isn´t the graphics engine, it´s hardware capability, and hardware capability and hardware capability. And content, of course. Show mw any comparable, flawlessly working online platform where 40 superhighpoly avatars (which is the rule in SL) are real time rendered moving (not just standing still) in some superhighpoly 3D environment while running gazillions of scripts, media and voice streams and whatever else in the background, on any midrange PC - there is none, SL included.

And whatever the "next generation" thing will be, server and client hardware capabilities will not be any better. And this "next generation" toy is supposed to run on even more limited tablets and smartphones (maybe THAT`s the "next generation" thingy there).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.