Thinking about getting a mesh avatar

MissBegotten

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Mesh avatars entirely replace your skin. Mesh attachments are sometimes shaped a little bit based on your shape (such as your height), but your shape is no longer 'in control' of how you look. Mesh avatars will have their own generic shape.

Some skin suppliers may sell skin appliers - but check compatibility before you buy. There are no refunds. :)

You are not getting accurate information. 

There are different types of mesh bodies. There are the Linden bodies for new users. They are a bit of a problem with a limited ability to modify them. Then there are user made bodies. They vary in what you can do with them. The one I've played with the most is made by Slink.

Mesh bodies come as either fitted mesh or rigged mesh. Slink is fitted. With it you can mostly keep your shape. The body has no head, hands, or feet. You can use your SL Avatar's head and have an animated face. Or get a Slink head and change expression via a HUD. You can use your avatars feet and hands or get Slink hands and feet.

The fitted mesh body will be a close match for your existing shape. When you adjust your shape you will see the body adjust too. Also, the Avatar Physics will affect the body, not the case with rigged (non-fitted) mesh bodies. How well fitted mesh bodies handle shape changes and Avatar Physics is a matter of how the maker made them. TRY THE DEMO before buying.

Look at the body after pressing Ctrl-Shift-R (wire frame mode). It should have about the same polygon count as the standard SL avatar. A few more polygons is OK. High density bodies just lag your viewer.

You cannot use a system skin with most fitted or rigged mesh bodies. You may be able to use some Mod-OK skins, don't count on it. But, many skin makers are making appliers for the mesh bodies.

I have the wowmeh mesh body. I am not into mesh clothes myself so i am prefectly happy with wearing applier clothing. at the moment though, wowmeh was forced to take their item off the market and remake it. so, until then, i would suggest just to wait it out and stick with what you got, or maybe think about getting the slink body if you really want it. however, the wowmeh body is the most supported one at the moment.

It is posted a lot of reviews on blogs and on youtube. So I am lazy and just link here instead of blah, blah, blah. ;) Most of the reviews include tasteful nudes and lingerie pictures. The whole point of reviewing a body is to show it.  I own a lot of mesh body replacement parts. But for bodies, I have only WowMeh, Slink and The Shops. There are more. The key word here is compatibility.  Will the mesh body creator allow others to make content like skins, tattoos and clothes for it? This pretty much leaves The Shops mesh body out of it, because they do not let others design for it, and they (The Shops) release new items... eh... not very fast. I still recommend you to test The Shops mesh body because it is free, it is excellent quality and a good way to test mesh bodies without investing money. It is only made 2 clothing items for it, a dress and shoes that cost 1L each, but you don't have to buy it. Link to all the details here: http://omgdrubreezealdaine.wordpress.com/2014/06/21/the-shops-mesh-body/ 

Edited to add a new link that shows how the body looks on a thin shape. Most buy mesh bodies because they like to be voluptous. http://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.no/2014/06/the-mesh-project-full-body-mesh.html

So to the two leading brands. I had already purchased the WowMeh mesh body before it was taken down a little over a month ago. It is said that things are worked out and it will be released again... but no one knows when. The information part could have been handled better. It is really good, so if you aren't sure yet I would wait at least one or two weeks more and see if it is sorted out. Even if it's not for sale now, it is made lots of stuff for it. It has the most clothes and skin appliers. This review is a bit old, but it is very detailed. http://sohawtsl.wordpress.com/2014/05/17/wowmeh-review/ But for every day, the Slink mesh body is getting more content made for it. It is new, but they sell a lot. It fits the existing Slink feet and hands really well, a bonus for us who already have them in our inventory. Slink is a big name in SL and I trust that the brand will be here and deliver customer service and updates in the future. Link to a review here: http://cozeysl.com/2014/06/25/curves-and-edges/ This one compares Slink and Wowmeh: http://thenewestwrinkles.wordpress.com/2014/06/29/slink-physique-mesh-figure-my-review/ 

In short: Your shape will be much the same as before, but smoother. It will have much better curves, nice breasts and genitalia.  Knees and the butt will look much better when you bend and sit - not a flat butt anymore. The body will have much less breaks overall when you dance and pose. 

You will need to add in the purchase of a new skin with appliers to the total cost, or buy appliers if your current skin creator makes them. Almost all reviews show the bodies with mesh hands and feet, this makes them look better but you have to add in the cost of those, or stick to the default hands. Dressing will take more time and for everyday use you will probably find it easier without a mesh body.

The more time you spend undressed in SL, the more you will want a mesh body. If you hang out on a beach most of the time, if you are a dancer in an adult club, if you wear a collar and not much more.... ;) And if you like to tinker with your avatar and make it "perfect".

slink body is amazing, but regarding clothes, limited, as there are not many appliers clothes for it, it does have alpha hud, where you can wear your mesh clothes, or some of them, but if you are going to cover your whole body in mesh clothes, then there is no point on having a mesh avatar, the appliers make the body look great and you can even wear boobs on it, Deliq at least fit perfect but again, i wish there was more appliers, I supposed there will be more in time

The Slink body has only been out a bit over a week, give it a little time. The developers kits went out and clothing is starting to appear for it. I've only had a little bit of trouble with some of my mesh clothes, but I'd say 95% I've not had to do a think to. Fitted mesh works like a dream.

Slink is designed to smooth out the rough spots in the SL avi, not necessarily to add curves. It will move and change with your avatar settings so you can get a more zaftig look.

Wowmeh was designed for a more Rubinesque look and is curvier.

You have to decide what you are looking for.

Many of the major skin makers have released the skin appliers that match their skins with more coming. Wowmeh has been out longer so there are more items available. With the kits going out as fast as they can, more Slink compatible will be there. Just need to be a bit patient. A week isn't a whole lot of time and the designers do have a RL too...smiles.

I have the Slink on 3 of my alts and have 3 more I'm planning on getting. They are avis I use for various RPs so worth the look for me.

Hi Everyone x

Can someone post a link to the alleged new Slink Physique/Body/Shape/Skin/Full Body Avatar(s) I keep hearing about in Marketplace.

I'm a little confused to be honest...

There are many appliers...most of which state ' Mesh Body Not Included' and I can't seem to find the actual Slink body in it's entirety....in order to apply the appliers....Am I missing something here?

I have purchased Slink feet and hands and they look ok on my Avi after some tinkering, but would now like to upgrade and/or update my entire avi to suit....I currently have a Noya 'Reese' Avatar.

Wowmeh mesh due out next week I believe...I could be wrong..just what I've heard.

Thanks in Advance xx

the SLink is from the neck down to the wrists and ankles. You can use the SL hand, feet and head or replace the feet with Slink feet or the shoes that have mesh feet. Slink has 3 different heights and there are a lot of shoes available for them. I do suggest you at least get the feet. SL feet suck. They are just paddles with line on them.

There are 12 hand positions available for the Slink hands.

Slink has 2 different mesh heads. Personally, though I have the body, hands and feet, I'll keep my SL head/face. I worked too hard to get it looking just the way I want it to.

Thanks again Bobbie :)

yes I have the hands and feet but now looking for the physique.

Finding it hard to find the Slink body inworld...so many stores in the search, and all carry some form of Slink items, appliers etc. Should I just try to walk around the store to find it? 

serotica wrote:

Thanks again Bobbie
:)

yes I have the hands and feet but now looking for the physique.

Finding it hard to find the Slink body inworld...so many stores in the search, and all carry some form of Slink items, appliers etc. Should I just try to walk around the store to find it? 

the store with the Slink parts themselves is http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Slink/45/124/24

walk straight down the red carpet into the store, it's on the back wall near the center.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks OAO :)

I think I'm over the whole 'mesh' avatar to be honest and will be staying with my exisiting physique. At least for the foreseeable future.

I sometimes wonder why the wowmeh and slink physiques aren't made in their entirety, as opposed to selling the hands and feet separately. 

For the feet, Slink has 3 different heights (flat, mid, high) for different shoes. The hands come in 12 different positions. Those you can wear a different one on each hand so you could wear the elegant on the left and the casual on the right to play a guitar and look like it. If your avi smokes, there's a position for smoking. If you RP, there's the Vulcan sign. There's a victory sign, a fist, one that made for holding a  purse/bag, just to mention a few. The Wowmeh works with the Slink feet and hands as well. If the body covered the hands and feet, you'd be stuck with one position for each.

• 4 weeks later...

I've bitten the bullet and purchased the Slink physique. head, hands and feet too.....

Can someone possibly post a guide, a blog or a link about the Slink physique. the Huds and the Alpha layers?

I found it quite daunting when trying to navigate around the Huds and the Alpha layers etc?

The information provided within the purchase notes/notecards is quite rudimentary. Thanks y'all :womanfrustrated:

Slink Info   That gives you a basic overview for the feet and hands. As for the hud...it's pretty straightforward. you have your tat, clothes and underclothes layer across the bottom with the option of turning on the arms, legs, torso etc. The center part shows the alpha cuts. The front and back of the torso are independent of each other so you can alpha the back for a corset without wiping out your cleavage. Hope that helps.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.