Jump to content

What idiot in Linden announced SL is closing down?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts


Phil Deakins wrote:

We can only imagine at this stage, but I imagine that, unless there is some barrier, such as no free accounts, in SL2, people will flock over to look at it en masse, find that it's way better than SL, and make it their main place. They'll be frequent visitors to SL while some of their favourite places/people remain here, but, on the whole, SL2 will become their 'home' platform. That's the way I imagine it happening, and quite quickly.

I also imagine that all the serious SL businesses will set up over there, as you plan to do, believing, as I do, that the market (populatioon) will be allbut guaranteed.

In other words, I don't think it will be very long before SL is the minor platform of the two. That, as I said, assumes there is no barrier to everyone joining.

This is what I tend to expect as well. Not really happy about it but it is what it is, evolve or die. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

 

Well you don't understand my points at all, and I agree with some of yours.

But you said:

"1. It didn't backfire because, from what I read, most people are looking forward to the new platform."

And this generates revenue in the interim exactly how? The Beta is expected for the new platform in late '15 or '16? LL may be bankrupt by then.

1. Yes it did backfire, because SL's days are now numbered. Making light of the fact that anything you buy on SL will at some point be worthless has to upset some people. They have said now more than a few times that backwards compatabilty is not a priority for the new platform. In other words, what you buy and own in SL can't be brought over to the new platform. I am not a creator but my guess is that they can''t be thrilled by slowing sales due to this new information.

I know that people are gonna copybot to other places in the metaverse. Not my cup of tea. Not fair to the creators at all.

And you say:

"2. LL was always slow to do things with SL, so nothing has changed in that respect. It seems that the SL team is smaller than before but most people don't miond because most people are looking forward to the new one."(sic)

Sure people are all excited by the new platform, as I am! But you expect the economy to remain stable in SL after this announcement? Does this mean Linden Labs sales will go up or down in SL? Stay the same?

Cold hard common sense says revenue will go down.

Cautious/pissed/unsure consumers = less sales = weaker businesses folding = less land rentals = weaker estate sales = more bad = more bad = more bad= less revenue for Lnden Labs. Make sense?

As far as Inworldz- it is what it is. Just like all the other platforms that sprang up after Second Life became succesful, they just copy it. I never said they did not. But so far, I like it. Others may not. I still play SL everyday. I just don't buy much there any more. Am I the only one who thinks it is not wise to buy in SL now? I think not. Is it even wise to buy in Inworldz? Who knows? Probably not lol! Inworldz could pull the plug tomorrow.

Then you say this:

"5. LL manages its business very well indeed. What it does may not suit you personally, but you are just one among many."

Well then I am very glad I am not a Linden. They are really rolling the dice here as far as RIGHT NOW. Unless the Beta is a mere few months away, how can this announcement help Linden Labs? Can we buy beta keys yet or anything from the new platform??

no

Again, only my opinion. Peace and Love to everyone :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You may be right but:


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

What idiot believes rumours without checking facts?

SL is not going anywhere for several years even if LL's  secret goal is to shut it down asap.  It will be a minimum if two years before the new grid is ready for prime time.  Then it will be empty and take another year or so to have enough content to satisfy the masses.  Even then people won't migrate immediately.  I figure sl will be alive and kicking for six years at least, possibly longer.

 

 

 

I see no facts here, I see opinions.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The parts of my post that you quoted are in blue.

Your replies to them are in normal grey.

My replies to your replies are in brown.

:)


Stamango wrote: 

Well you don't understand my points at all, and I agree with some of yours.

But you said:

"1. It didn't backfire because, from what I read, most people are looking forward to the new platform."

And this generates revenue in the interim exactly how?
Just the same as always. Just the same as it's continuing tio do now.
 The Beta is expected for the new platform in late '15 or '16? LL may be bankrupt by then.
That's a really wild piece of imagination.

What you're trying to say is that the announcement backfired because LL's income will be affected so badly that they might even go bankrupt by the time they are ready with SL2. There is only one answer to that - nonsense. Now, if the time for SL2 arrives but LL has gone bankrupt, you'd be right to say that something backfired, but you can't say it in advance, at a time when the announcement has changed nothing. You can say that it might backfire, but that's the best you can do at this stage.

1. Yes it did backfire, because SL's days are now numbered.
SL's days were always numbered. That goes without saying.
 Making light of the fact that anything you buy on SL will at some point be worthless has to upset some people.
Only those who thought that SL would last forever.
They have said now more than a few times that backwards compatabilty is not a priority for the new platform.
And rightly so.
In other words, what you buy and own in SL can't be brought over to the new platform.
For much of it, that is correct.
 I am not a creator but my guess is that they can''t be thrilled by slowing sales due to this new information.
There is no slowing down of sales. I am a creator and I agree with other creators who have posted about it, that there is no noticeable slowing down of sales that isn't normal and expected at this time of year.

I know that people are gonna copybot to other places in the metaverse. Not my cup of tea. Not fair to the creators at all.

And you say:

"2. LL was always slow to do things with SL, so nothing has changed in that respect. It seems that the SL team is smaller than before but most people don't mind because most people are looking forward to the new one."
(sic)

Sure people are all excited by the new platform, as I am! But you expect the economy to remain stable in SL after this announcement? Does this mean Linden Labs sales will go up or down in SL? Stay the same?
What Linden Lab sales? They only deal in land and nothing is changing with that because they weren't selling any sims anyway. If you mean tier, then there hasn't been an effect so far that could be put down to the announcement. People are not giving up their land in droves or anything like that. Even right up to the last minute people aren't going dump land just to get rid of tier because tier is only rent and rent is 100% used. What will happen is that buying stuff will go into decline when SL2 approaches, and those who sell inworld will have to relinquish land. But that's a long way off yet. Not only that, but it's something that had to happen anyway for LL's continued success..

Cold hard common sense says revenue will go down.
No it doesn't. Not yet anyway. Only as SL2 approaches, as my "cool hard common sense" said in the previous paragraph. AND, it has to happen as LL moves to the next generation, and that is essential for the company's wellbeing in the future. It's what has to happen.

Cautious/pissed/unsure consumers = less sales = weaker businesses folding = less land rentals = weaker estate sales = more bad = more bad = more bad= less revenue for Lnden Labs. Make sense?
Of course that makes sense. What's wrong with it is that we don't have "Cautious/pissed/unsure consumers". We have consumers who are looking forward to the next generation, and who are sensible enough to realise that it's not going to happen for at least 2 years. A year and a half from now, we may have "Cautious/pissed/unsure consumers", but not for a long time yet.

As far as Inworldz- it is what it is. Just like all the other platforms that sprang up after Second Life became succesful, they just copy it. I never said they did not. But so far, I like it. Others may not. I still play SL everyday. I just don't buy much there any more. Am I the only one who thinks it is not wise to buy in SL now?
Probably not, but you are in a very small minority. I suppose it depends what you mean by "buy into SL". Rent in SL if you mean land. That way you'll only get exactly what you pay for, and you'll get 100% of it, losing absolutely nothing. If you mean goods, then don't buy anything that you think you'll want to use for more than 2 or 3 years. Buy everything else.
 I think not. Is it even wise to buy in Inworldz? Who knows? Probably not lol! Inworldz could pull the plug tomorrow.
Inworldz must be crossing their fingers now, hoping that SL2 will fail because, if it doesn't fail, then Inworldz could go out of business because it'll be a dinosaur.

Then you say this:

"5. LL manages its business very well indeed. What it does may not suit you personally, but you are just one among many."

Well then I am very glad I am not a Linden. They are really rolling the dice here as far as RIGHT NOW. 
RIGHT NOW is continuing as it always has - no problem there.
 Unless the Beta is a mere few months away, how can this announcement help Linden Labs?
Who cares how it can help them. It doesn't affect we users.
 Can we buy beta keys yet or anything from the new platform??
Not to my knowledge. Heck, LL can't buy beta keys yet
:D

no

Again, only my opinion. Peace and Love to everyone
:)
 



Link to post
Share on other sites


Coby Foden wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:

The parts of my post that you quoted are in blue.

Your replies to them are in normal grey.

My replies to your replies are in brown.

 

 

This is brown.
BROWN
.

:smileywink:

 

this is pink

and this is INGRID PINK (:

Link to post
Share on other sites


Coby Foden wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:

The parts of my post that you quoted are in blue.

Your replies to them are in normal grey.

My replies to your replies are in brown.

 

 

This is brown.
BROWN
.

:smileywink:

 

Yours is a yellow brown and mine is a red brown, AND mine is a much warmer and nicer brown than your brown. In other words, my brown is better then your brown :)

Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Coby Foden wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:

The parts of my post that you quoted are in blue.

Your replies to them are in normal grey.

My replies to your replies are in brown.

 

 

This is brown.
BROWN
.

:smileywink:

 

Yours is a yellow brown and mine is a red brown, AND mine is a
much
warmer and nicer brown than your brown. In other words, my brown is better then your brown
:)

Your brown has too much iron in it's diet.

As far as where my Brown is, she is taking care of my package.  ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:

 

That brown could do a LOT for me today. Where is she?

Umm...  I replied to your post telling where you can find her. Unfortunately it appears that telling where to find her is not allowed in this forum - my post got nuked.

Sorry Phil, you have to find her yourself.  Good luck.  :smileyhappy:

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Secondlife the first stayed open it would be competing with Secondlife the second. Ebbe said their goal was not to close SL but to make everyone want to move to the new world. So if they achieve their goal of selling most people on this new world there would be little point in SL remaining open. I think the OPs alarm is waranted and not misguided. In the meantime with an uncertain future it does have a huge impact.

Link to post
Share on other sites


JessieStiles1 wrote:

If Secondlife the first stayed open it would be competing with Secondlife the second. Ebbe said their goal was not to close SL but to make everyone want to move to the new world. So if they achieve their goal of selling most people on this new world there would be little point in SL remaining open. I think the OPs alarm is waranted and not misguided. In the meantime with an uncertain future it does have a huge impact.

That's not right. If LL succeeds in making everyone want to move to SL2 then nobody will want SL1, therefore the OP's alarm is unwarranted.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Coby Foden wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:

 

That brown could do a LOT for me today. Where is she?

Umm...  I replied to your post telling where you can find her. Unfortunately it appears that telling where to find her is not allowed in this forum - my post got nuked.

Sorry Phil, you have to find her yourself.  Good luck.  :smileyhappy:

Do you think you could stand in for her then?

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Most people". There's those who have invested much time and  thousands of dollars, are attached to this secondlife and their avartars and don't just use it as a glorified chatroom. People who invested heavily in land and business. The immediate reaction of many people was I won't spend money in SL anymore. That's what I said. Everyone i've spoken to had the same reaction and my store sales dropped 3/4 almost immediately after this announcement. So yes it is warranted and is going to have a huge impact.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Coby Foden wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:

 

That brown could do a LOT for me today. Where is she?

Umm...  I replied to your post telling where you can find her. Unfortunately it appears that telling where to find her is not allowed in this forum - my post got nuked.

Sorry Phil, you have to find her yourself.  Good luck.  :smileyhappy:

Do you think you could stand in for her then?

Thanks Phil for the kind compliment. :smileyhappy: :heart:

/me makes a happy dance. Yay!  :matte-motes-big-grin: :smileyvery-happy:

 

Psst... to answer your question: Unfortunately, due to my complicated situation, I cannot do it. So sorry. :smileysad:

 

:smileywink:

Link to post
Share on other sites


JessieStiles1 wrote:

"Most people". There's those who have invested much time and  thousands of dollars, are attached to this secondlife and their avartars and don't just use it as a glorified chatroom. People who invested heavily in land and business. The immediate reaction of many people was I won't spend money in SL anymore. That's what I said. Everyone i've spoken to had the same reaction and my store sales dropped 3/4 almost immediately after this announcement. So yes it is warranted and is going to have a huge impact.

Anyone who put in thousands of real dollars to operate a business already knew that SL wouldn't last forever. AND, if they've put all that money in, they've made lots and lots of profit from it, so it's all good. Just one thing about those who put thousands of real dollars in for business - they must have bought sims. Tier doesn't count because it's just rent and they'll still get the full 100% of time for the rent they pay. So about sims, we have no idea yet whether or not LL will compensate sim owners in some way, such as offering them similar land mass without the need to buy. It's no good jumping to conclusions about it.

The time they (and everyone else) have put into it was their enjoyemnt of SL. Nothing was wasted - they used it all in enjoyment, and they lost none of it. If the time was spent operating a business, they've made lots of money from it. So that's all good too.

Anything else?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


johnboy Snoodle wrote:

Considering this topic is on every forum all over the web, in news report's and in magazine articles then don’t you think it is somewhat imperative that
Linden makes a formal announcement saying as such
, talk to anybody in SL and the opinion is the same (rightly or wrongly) I have heard people talking in shops saying that they will not buy anything now as it’s not worth it, go to other grids, Inworldz for one, and you will hear people talking about SL closing down, unless somebody gets their fingers out and does something about it like having a statement on all sign in screens, placing notices in all public communications then SL really will go to the wall.  If it’s not true THEN LET PEOPLE KNOW, tell them as such and stop all the rumours and also take note of some of the other points I made. 

This is the only thing you have said that i will agree with. I find it deplorable that Ebbe told TPV devs about it and let them spread the word, when he should have had something ready to go on the SL website at the same time. 3 weeks later, still nothing official from LL.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The people who spent 1000s is not just business owners. People who took advantage of what SecondLife had to offer. A chance a building a second life to enjoy. Only for the company to, in a round about equivocal way, state they are going to be making a new world where we start off from scratch. For some business owners SL is their primary income. Inworld stores will have to close. Some will barely make tier. And they are going to be hit now or in the near future. Further there is a whole world that has been built by users. It has culture, history, families, lives, people's second homes. This will all go down the gurgler because LL decided to make a new world. 

I guess land is a lesser issue in a way as judging by the way LL prices land its value will be cheaper. The current value of land has dropped dramatically. I've seen land for sale at less than LL value which i've not seen before. But those who own large amounts off land it's going to be a sting. If they decided to invest in more land in this new world it may gain in value eventually

Perhaps it is not a big deal for you and that's fine. Of those of us for whom it is a big deal saying "It's all good" isn't quite going to put our minds at ease.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody will lose anything when SL2 comes along.

 

When SL2 comes along...

Those who put a lot of money in through the years, just for enjoyment, had their enjoyment from it. No loss.

Those who put time and money into creating a business, made money from it. No loss.

Those who rely on income from SL, knew from the start that it wasn't reliable for the long term. They've made money, so no loss.

Those who have large amounts of land have it for business purposes, or they wouldn't have such large amounts of land. They've made money on it. No loss.

Nobody will lose anything that they haven't already had their money's worth for.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:

Nobody will lose anything when SL2 comes along.

 

When SL2 comes along...

Those who put a lot of money in through the years, just for enjoyment, had their enjoyment from it. No loss.

Those who put time and money into creating a business, made money from it. No loss.

Those who rely on income from SL, knew from the start that it wasn't reliable for the long term. They've made money, so no loss.

Those who have large amounts of land have it for business purposes, or they wouldn't have such large amounts of land. They've made money on it. No loss.

Nobody will lose anything that they haven't already had their money's worth for.

You keep saying that like it's gospel, Phil.. That is your opinion. Not everyone looks at it the same way you do. Every time you have posted this you come across as a pompous ass. Thats my opinion anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...