Jump to content

What idiot in Linden announced SL is closing down?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Pompous asses often have better brains that some people ;)

But, as it happens, it IS gospel :) It's pure, unadulterated, common sense, but, if you think differently, which part(d) don't you agree with? Even asses know that posting an objection without saying what they are is... well..... silly - and well beneath the intelligence of we clever asses. No wonder we become pompous :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why ya guys keep calling it SL2?

Can't that have people getting mislead into thinking this is actually a second version of second life rather than another different virtual world made by the same company?

Link to post
Share on other sites


Ceka Cianci wrote:

Why ya guys keep calling it SL2?

Can't that have people getting mislead into thinking this is actually a second version of second life rather than another different virtual world made by the same company?

I wonder that that too. When Ebbe made the announcement in the TPV meeting he didn't say SL2.

He was talking in general terms and he referred to the new world as Next Generation Platform.

 

Surely they will come up with some definite name later on. Hopefully they invent some cool name which is clearly different from Second Life.

(Calling the new world SL2 is indeed misleading. Many people might draw wrong conclusions from it.)

Link to post
Share on other sites


Coby Foden wrote:


Ceka Cianci wrote:

Why ya guys keep calling it SL2?

Can't that have people getting mislead into thinking this is actually a second version of second life rather than another different virtual world made by the same company?

I wonder that that too. When Ebbe made the announcement in the TPV meeting he didn't say SL2.

He was talking in general terms and he referred to the new world as
Next Generation Platform
.

 

Surely they will come up with some definite name later on. Hopefully they invent some cool name which is clearly different from Second Life.

(Calling the new world SL2 is indeed misleading. Many people might draw wrong conclusions from it.)

 

Ack! I hope they lose the "Next Generation" bit soon. Wesley Crusher, gahh. At least go with Deep Space Nine. I liked Captain Sisko.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Coby Foden wrote:


Ceka Cianci wrote:

Why ya guys keep calling it SL2?

Can't that have people getting mislead into thinking this is actually a second version of second life rather than another different virtual world made by the same company?

I wonder that that too. When Ebbe made the announcement in the TPV meeting he didn't say SL2.

He was talking in general terms and he referred to the new world as
Next Generation Platform
.

 

Surely they will come up with some definite name later on. Hopefully they invent some cool name which is clearly different from Second Life.

(Calling the new world SL2 is indeed misleading. Many people might draw wrong conclusions from it.)

I guess we could call it, "Second Life: The Next Generation."  ;)

Or "NGP" for short.  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well from the inside scoop as i was getting my Ebbe bear, that i had ask from teh start, Finally!

He say too me,spect to see much more Ceka in deece worl versions!

Then he show me teh preview of teh new worl  so far and it go like deece :matte-motes-evil-invert:

an i wus heppy to see more Ceka in et

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:

Nobody will lose anything when SL2 comes along.

 

When SL2 comes along...

Those who put a lot of money in through the years, just for enjoyment, had their enjoyment from it. No loss.

Those who put time and money into creating a business, made money from it. No loss.

Those who rely on income from SL, knew from the start that it wasn't reliable for the long term. They've made money, so no loss.

Those who have large amounts of land have it for business purposes, or they wouldn't have such large amounts of land. They've made money on it. No loss.

Nobody will lose anything that they haven't already had their money's worth for.

As I relpied to you in your other thread:

 

"This is your own personal costs/benefits analysis.  It is how you see things as they apply to you.

Personally speaking, I am looking forward to the NGP (Next Generation Platform).

But just because our personal costs/benefits analysis says it's a good thing for us that still does not give me a right to impose my personal situation, because that is really what it is, a personal situation, upon some one else.

I do believe that in the long run people will find that the benefits are going to out weigh the losses.  But that does not mean that there will not be any losses as you are trying to claim.

(I had the same bicycle for almost 20 years in RL until someone stole it.  I certainly got my "money's worth" out of it.  From that perspective you could say I didn't lose anything.  But from my perspective I lost future enjoyment from it.)"

Link to post
Share on other sites

From that point of view, there are no solution that does not include a "loss" for somebody at some point.

Also in that case, LL is not stealing your bike, in fact they will be offering you a whole new and better bike, while allowing you to keep your old one.

If and when you will switch from the old to the new one is entirely up to you and the users as a whole, not LL.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Jenny Siddeley wrote:

From that point of view, there are no solution that does not include a "loss" for somebody at some point.


Absolutely.  The question is whether or not the "gains exceed the losses?"

The losses are not always a bad thing per se but that is kind of how life works.  If you trade in an old car for a new you lose the use of the old.  Hopefully the new run runs better.

 


Jenny Siddeley wrote:

 

Also in that case, LL is not stealing your bike, in fact they will be offering you a whole new and better bike, while allowing you to keep your old one.

 

It's not a perfect analogy, I know that.  At the moment I get to have both.  I take the phrase "as long as it remains profitable" with a grain of salt.  They get to define what "profitable" is to them. 

Similarly when they said they have "no plans to shut SL down."  If you look at the primary definition of the word "plan," asking them if they have "plans" is really not the correct question.  The correct question is, "Do you have intentions."  You can have intentions with out yet having "plans."   I know, fine line semantics, but there is a difference.

 


Jenny Siddeley wrote:

 

If and when you will switch from the old to the new one is entirely up to you and the users as a whole, not LL.

Whether or not any one migrates from the old to the new will be a matter of individual choice.  LL has never forced me to use SL to begin with.

 

 

My main point is that some people may count the losses greater than the gains.  In some cases I may think their math is faulty.  And I might question them whether or not their reasoning is sound.  But I don't think that I am in a position to make that judgment (that their math is wrong) for everyone.

Anshe Chung has a huge holding in SL.  What, if after the New Platform goes live, would be her position if she had only half of the land holdings she currently has?  I'd certainly consider that a huge loss for her.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Ceka Cianci wrote:

Why ya guys keep calling it SL2?

Can't that have people getting mislead into thinking this is actually a second version of second life rather than another different virtual world made by the same company?

It was me who started calling it SL2. One or two have recently started calling it the NGP (Next Generation Platform).

SL2 may be a bit misleading but, if the new thing is anything like SL (a much better version of SL); i.e. user created content, and I believe that's the intention, then I do think that SL2 is good until LL comes up with an actual name for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perrie Juran wrote:

As I relpied to you in your other thread: 

"This is your own personal costs/benefits analysis.  It is how you see things as they apply to you.

And, as I've just replied to you in the other thread, it's how I see things as they apply to everyone, Perrie.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:

Nobody will lose anything when SL2 comes along.

 

When SL2 comes along...

Those who put a lot of money in through the years, just for enjoyment, had their enjoyment from it. No loss.

Those who put time and money into creating a business, made money from it. No loss.

Those who rely on income from SL, knew from the start that it wasn't reliable for the long term. They've made money, so no loss.

Those who have large amounts of land have it for business purposes, or they wouldn't have such large amounts of land. They've made money on it. No loss.

Nobody will lose anything that they haven't already had their money's worth for.

You keep saying that like it's gospel, Phil.. That is your opinion. Not everyone looks at it the same way you do. Every time you have posted this you come across as a pompous ass. Thats my opinion anyway.

Well said!

I am actually with JessieStiles1 on this. Whilst some ppl continually rather rudely try and dismiss any negative aspects of the announcement, JessieStiles1 nevertheless is absolutely right in saying not everyone uses SL as a 'glorified chatroom.' Those, like me, who spent thousands of rl dollars on SL, building up my sim, ever modding and decorating my various homes, I stand to lose it all.

And some argument are forced to the point of being uebersilly, like:

"Nobody will lose anything that they haven't already had their money's worth for."

Phil, I guess the bank should just foreclose your home then, saying you already got your money's worth out of it?! No loss. In fact, with that silly argument, no one could ever be said to have lost anything.

Some folks stand to lose a lot. Having to re-buy and/or rebuild everything from scratch doesn't equate to 'No loss.'

Link to post
Share on other sites


kiramanell wrote:


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:

Nobody will lose anything when SL2 comes along.

 

When SL2 comes along...

Those who put a lot of money in through the years, just for enjoyment, had their enjoyment from it. No loss.

Those who put time and money into creating a business, made money from it. No loss.

Those who rely on income from SL, knew from the start that it wasn't reliable for the long term. They've made money, so no loss.

Those who have large amounts of land have it for business purposes, or they wouldn't have such large amounts of land. They've made money on it. No loss.

Nobody will lose anything that they haven't already had their money's worth for.

You keep saying that like it's gospel, Phil.. That is your opinion. Not everyone looks at it the same way you do. Every time you have posted this you come across as a pompous ass. Thats my opinion anyway.

Well said!

I am actually with JessieStiles1 on this. Whilst some ppl continually rather rudely try and dismiss any negative aspects of the announcement, JessieStiles1 nevertheless is absolutely right in saying not everyone uses SL as a 'glorified chatroom.' Those, like me, who spent thousands of rl dollars on SL, building up my sim, ever modding and decorating my various homes, I stand to lose it all.

And some argument are forced to the point of being uebersilly, like:

"Nobody will lose anything that they haven't already had their money's worth for."

Phil, I guess the bank should just foreclose your home then, saying you already got your money's worth out of it?! No loss. In fact, with that silly argument, no one could ever be said to have lost anything.

Some folks stand to lose a lot. Having to re-buy and/or rebuild everything from scratch doesn't equate to 'No loss.'

It's nice to see someone who actually claims what you say, instead of people who post about the losses of others.

I own my house, so no bank can foreclose :) Of course, the mortgage on an RL house is no sort of analogy for what we're talking about. I assume you're not busy paying a mortgage or hire purchase on anything in SL. It would be different if you were doing that.

In your case, you paid for your sim up front. How long ago, I don't know, but you still have *at least* another 2 years of it. So the amount you paid for the sim, divided by the number of years you will have enjoyed it, is quite small. And it's given you so much pleasure for the years you've had it. That's no sort of financial loss.

The most costly aspect of owning a sim is the tier, which is nothing but rent, and you used every penny of it. As soon as the rent period (month) is over, the rent is money gone - not lost - willingly paid and gone. So you can't include that in your 'loss' calculations.

The rest that you mentioned didn't cost much for the time you've had pleasure from it. You enjoyed it all, and it was very cheap enjoyment for the amount of time you spent enjoying it.

I'm sorry, but I don't see, or accept, that having and enjoying a sim, and spending some money doing things in it, amounts to a loss of money when considering the number of years you will have had it and anjoyed it.

I fully understand the disappointment, but I never talked about disappointment. And I fully understand the strong desire not to start again, but I didn't talk about that either. I only talked about financial loss, and I don't see that you will end up with anything that could be considered financial loss, when you consider what you will have had for your money. You paid for the enjoyment through the years. That's all. Just like we pay just as much, and much more, for other enjoyments in life. We don't expect those to last forever. In RL, things we pay a lot for get worn out but we don't think that we lost money when they do. We used and enjoyed using them while they were good.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Ceka Cianci wrote:

Why ya guys keep calling it SL2?

Can't that have people getting mislead into thinking this is actually a second version of second life rather than another different virtual world made by the same company?

It was me who started calling it SL2. One or two have recently started calling it the NGP (Next Generation Platform).

SL2 may be a bit misleading but, if the new thing is anything like SL (a much better version of SL); i.e. user created content, and I believe that's the intention, then I do think that SL2 is good until LL comes up with an actual name for it.

That gives off the feeling of an expansion or an upgrade. Hope of keeping inventory,panic of this world going away.. This is a new world that will be around at the same time as the current world..

The New World is much better and less confusing to those uninformed about it as of yet..Because that is exactly what it is..

SL2 is just making it related to SL in a clingy way, Rather than it being what it is, which is another of one of LL's babies..

people will be clinging to SL2 for 2 or 3 years and have a disapoint when all they can bring over is their name...

hehehe

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Ceka Cianci wrote:

Why ya guys keep calling it SL2?

Can't that have people getting mislead into thinking this is actually a second version of second life rather than another different virtual world made by the same company?

It was me who started calling it SL2. 

Phil! You need spanking.  Hammer-head.gif    There!  :smileyhappy:

Link to post
Share on other sites


Coby Foden wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:


Ceka Cianci wrote:

Why ya guys keep calling it SL2?

Can't that have people getting mislead into thinking this is actually a second version of second life rather than another different virtual world made by the same company?

It was me who started calling it SL2. 

Phil! You need spanking. 
Hammer-head.gif
   There!  :smileyhappy:

Sometimes i think he is just looking for those on purpose:matte-motes-evil-invert:

 

hehehe

Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Ceka Cianci wrote:


Coby Foden wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:


Ceka Cianci wrote:

Why ya guys keep calling it SL2?

Can't that have people getting mislead into thinking this is actually a second version of second life rather than another different virtual world made by the same company?

It was me who started calling it SL2. 

Phil! You need spanking. 
Hammer-head.gif
   There!  :smileyhappy:

Sometimes i think he is just looking for those on purpose:matte-motes-evil-invert:

 

hehehe

That seriously looks more like a knock on the head than a spanking.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"The New World is much better and less confusing to those uninformed about it as of yet..Because that is exactly what it is.."

The last time I heard that was when they came up with Viewer 2. I bet that you are one of the 10 percent users who use this much better and  less confusing hell of a Linden made user interface cause you have faith in Linden Lab software design, right?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Vivienne Schell wrote:

"The New World is much better and less confusing to those uninformed about it as of yet..Because that is exactly what it is.."

The last time I heard that was when they came up with Viewer 2. I bet that you are one of the 10 percent users who use this much better and  less confusing hell of a Linden made user interface cause you have faith in Linden Lab software design, right?

 

 

If I recall correctly, the complaint at the time V2 was introduced was that The Product Engine, the outside design company brought in to make the viewer,  had made something far more confusing and far less user-friendly than the old and familiar viewer made by Linden Lab.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:

 

That seriously looks more like a knock on the head than a spanking.

I had to use that one because (for some weird reason :smileyindifferent:) all the animated spanking GIFs were about a man spanking a woman.

Ermm.gif

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Coby Foden wrote:


Perrie Juran wrote:

 

That seriously looks more like a knock on the head than a spanking.

I had to use that one because (for some weird reason :smileyindifferent:) all the animated spanking GIFs were about a man spanking a woman.

Ermm.gif

 

Perhaps you should have just gone with one of those and turned it into some strange cross-dressing, BDSM, RP reference.

...Dres

Link to post
Share on other sites


Stamango wrote:

You may be right but:


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

What idiot believes rumours without checking facts?

SL is not going anywhere for several years even if LL's  secret goal is to shut it down asap.  It will be a minimum if two years before the new grid is ready for prime time.  Then it will be empty and take another year or so to have enough content to satisfy the masses.  Even then people won't migrate immediately.  I figure sl will be alive and kicking for six years at least, possibly longer.

 

 

 

I see no facts here, I see opinions.

 

I see no facts on this whole thread, except a new world is coming and people can decide to migrate, not migrate or use both worlds.  Everything else has all been opinion and speculation, including your posts.

Even those claiming sales have plummeted as a result of this announcement are blowing smoke.  A few weeks statistics are not enough to make this statement, particularly when this is a slow time anyway.  Personally i have seen no unusual slow down in my business.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Ceka Cianci wrote:

Why ya guys keep calling it SL2?

Can't that have people getting mislead into thinking this is actually a second version of second life rather than another different virtual world made by the same company?

It was me who started calling it SL2.
One or two have recently started calling it the NGP (Next Generation Platform).

SL2 may be a bit misleading but, if the new thing is anything like SL (a much better version of SL); i.e. user created content, and I believe that's the intention, then I do think that SL2 is good until LL comes up with an actual name for it.

The first time I found it used in this forum was by Drake http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Linden-Lab-is-building-a-NEW-virtual-world/td-p/2753476/highlight/true/page/2

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...