What idiot in Linden announced SL is closing down?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Why ya guys keep calling it SL2?

Can't that have people getting mislead into thinking this is actually a second version of second life rather than another different virtual world made by the same company?

It was me who started calling it SL2. One or two have recently started calling it the NGP (Next Generation Platform).

SL2 may be a bit misleading but, if the new thing is anything like SL (a much better version of SL); i.e. user created content, and I believe that's the intention, then I do think that SL2 is good until LL comes up with an actual name for it.

That gives off the feeling of an expansion or an upgrade. Hope of keeping inventory,panic of this world going away.. This is a new world that will be around at the same time as the current world..

The New World
is much better and less confusing to those uninformed about it as of yet..Because that is exactly what it is..

SL2 is just making it related to SL in a clingy way, Rather than it being what it is, which is another of one of LL's babies..

people will be clinging to SL2 for 2 or 3 years and have a disapoint when all they can bring over is their name...

hehehe 

I actually think it will be an improved SL. This is how I'm envisioning it...

It will have land and sea that will look a lot like the land an sea we have in SL, although it may technically be different.

We'll be able to create, probably with improved tools.

What else is there? Better avatars, of course, and stuff like that.

I'm thinking something like a manufacturer of a petrol-driven car making the next generation car - an electric one. Different technology, and with better features, such as GPS, but still looks like, and is, a car.

'SL2' fits the way I imagine the next generation will be.

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Can't that have people getting mislead into thinking this is actually a second version of second life rather than another different virtual world made by the same company?

It was me who started calling it SL2. 

Phil! You need spanking. 
Hammer-head.gif
   There!  :smileyhappy:

I know. And I'll accept my punishment because I deserve it. When shall we do it? :(

Coby Foden wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

That seriously looks more like a knock on the head than a spanking.

I had to use that one because (for some weird reason :smileyindifferent:) all the animated spanking GIFs were about a man spanking a woman.

Ermm.gif

If that's my punishment - me spanking you - then, because I have no defense for my crime, I feel forced to accept it :(

Kenbro Utu wrote:

kiramanell wrote:

I stand to lose it all.

And this was always the case.  Did you really think SL would stay open indefinitely?  If you did, then you spent foolishly.

A bizarre way of thinking, along the lines of "You're not losing anything, because you already had your enjoyment out of it."

To answer your question, though, indefinitely is precisely how long I thought SL would stay open, LOL. Because that's precisely what indefinite means: "not definite; without fixed or specified limit." (You probably thought it meant 'always', right?)

Actually, pretty much all businesses operate under the 'indefinite' paradigm: they are open until you hear otherwise. For instance, no MMO could ever get ppl to spend money on the game if ppl knew, today, that tomorrow the company went bankrupt. The whole precept of continued spending only works *precisely* because ppl do NOT know when their business will shut down.

It's no different for SL. Now that SL has all but lost its 'indefinite' jacket, ppl will start spending less on it (especially towards the end). Try and look upon this fact without judgement, please. Yes, ironically, by spending less, some ppl will accelerate the very downfall of SL they decry; but the reality remains, that if you don't want ppl to spend less, don't tell them you're planning on closing down!

And allow me to immediately debunk the faux rebuttal of saying LL said they had no plans to close SL down. Because Ebbe also (indirectly) said SL's continued existence is predicated upon the success of SL2 (as they are necessarily competing products, whatever name you give the new incarnation). Ebbe pretty much said that, if at that time, when SL2 has drawn away too much from SL, thus making the latter no longer economically viable, our current virtual world may shut down. So, while that doesn't technically constitute a direct plan for shutting SL down (semantics, really), it's nonetheless a plan to start planning for SL's demise, should SL2 become too popular at its expense.

kiramanell wrote:

Kenbro Utu wrote:

kiramanell wrote:

I stand to lose it all.

And this was always the case.  Did you really think SL would stay open indefinitely?  If you did, then you spent foolishly.

A bizarre way of thinking, along the lines of "You're not losing anything, because you already had your enjoyment out of it."

When SL finally shuts down, you will have had your enjoyment out of what you bought, won't you?

To answer your question, though,
indefinitely
is precisely how long I thought SL would stay open, LOL. Because that's precisely what indefinite means: "not definite; without fixed or specified limit." (You probably thought it meant 'always', right?)

Actually, pretty much all businesses operate under the 'indefinite' paradigm: they are open until you hear otherwise. For instance, no MMO could ever get ppl to spend money on the game if ppl knew, today, that tomorrow the company went bankrupt. The whole precept of continued spending only works *precisely* because ppl do NOT know when their business will shut down.

It's no different for SL. Now that SL has all but lost its 'indefinite' jacket, ppl will start spending less on it (especially towards the end). Try and look upon this fact without judgement, please. Yes, ironically, by spending less, some ppl will accelerate the very downfall of SL they decry; but the reality remains, that if you don't want ppl to spend less, don't tell them you're planning on closing down!

That's expected - less spending as SL2 approaches. And I agree that it will help SL1 to close sooner rather than later.A few people are expecting SL1 to continue longer than I think it will. I can't see it continuing for much more than a year after SL2 is launched. I'll be very surprised if it continues for 2 years. But that's just my guess.

Phil Deakins wrote:

That's expected - less spending as SL2 approaches. And I agree that it will help SL1 to close sooner rather than later.A few people are expecting SL1 to continue longer than I think it will. I can't see it continuing for much more than a year after SL2 is launched. I'll be very surprised if it continues for 2 years. But that's just my guess.

Pretty much what I expect too. I predict 2-3 years ere SL2 becomes live. Then 2 years, tops, before SL will fall below the 'viable' threshold. Which is still ca. 5 years. :)

Vivienne Schell wrote:

"The New World is much better and less confusing to those uninformed about it as of yet..Because that is exactly what it is.."

The last time I heard that was when they came up with Viewer 2. I bet that you are one of the 10 percent users who use this much better and  less confusing hell of a Linden made user interface cause you have faith in Linden Lab software design, right?

Oh darn it!! Caught me red handed.

I give up, cuff me and give me my time. I was a fool to think i could pull a fast one over on you.

hehehehe

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Vivienne Schell wrote:

"The New World is much better and less confusing to those uninformed about it as of yet..Because that is exactly what it is.."

The last time I heard that was when they came up with Viewer 2. I bet that you are one of the 10 percent users who use this much better and  less confusing hell of a Linden made user interface cause you have faith in Linden Lab software design, right?

If I recall correctly, the complaint at the time V2 was introduced was that
, the outside design company brought in to make the viewer,  had made something far more confusing and far less user-friendly than the old and familiar viewer made by Linden Lab.

I started on Viewer 2 and found it very easy to use - when I tried a "classic" viewer I found its interface a baffling ball of fetid suck. Just sayin'...

Phil Deakins wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

It was me who started calling it SL2. One or two have recently started calling it the NGP (Next Generation Platform).

SL2 may be a bit misleading but, if the new thing is anything like SL (a much better version of SL); i.e. user created content, and I believe that's the intention, then I do think that SL2 is good until LL comes up with an actual name for it.

That gives off the feeling of an expansion or an upgrade. Hope of keeping inventory,panic of this world going away.. This is a new world that will be around at the same time as the current world..

The New World
is much better and less confusing to those uninformed about it as of yet..Because that is exactly what it is..

SL2 is just making it related to SL in a clingy way, Rather than it being what it is, which is another of one of LL's babies..

people will be clinging to SL2 for 2 or 3 years and have a disapoint when all they can bring over is their name...

hehehe 

I actually think it will be an improved SL. This is how I'm envisioning it...

It will have land and sea that will look a lot like the land an sea we have in SL, although it may technically be different.

We'll be able to create, probably with improved tools.

What else is there? Better avatars, of course, and stuff like that.

I'm thinking something like a manufacturer of a petrol-driven car making the next generation car - an electric one. Different technology, and with better features, such as GPS, but still looks like, and is, a car.

'SL2' fits the way I imagine the next generation will be.

I'm just excited thinking it may be using Philips High Fidelity.

The reason why i think telling people it is SL2 is not such a good idea, is because  it will cause confusion and panic ,anger.

it's not like we haven't seen how panic gets going  over the years here hehehe

People will call it what they want, i was putting an idea out there.

If it sticks to nothing then it sticks to nothing,no biggy no loss

hehehe

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Vivienne Schell wrote:

If I recall correctly, the complaint at the time V2 was introduced was that
, the outside design company brought in to make the viewer,  had made something far more confusing and far less user-friendly than the old and familiar viewer made by Linden Lab.

I started on Viewer 2 and found it very easy to use - when I tried a "classic" viewer I found its interface a baffling ball of fetid suck. Just sayin'...

Maybe that was the mistake.     I would be astonished if "I found the viewer difficult to operate" wasn't, back then, a major cause of people trying SL once or twice and then dropping it.   So asking an outside design agency to look at the viewer with completely free eyes may well, in principle, have been a good idea.   However, they didn't think of the likely response of existing users, who were already used to, and comfortable with, the old UI.   And, to be fair, there were a lot of things wrong with V2, rather than just unfamiliar to the existing user (the sidebar permanently took up too much screen space, to my mind, for no good reason,).   

Be that as it may, I was just suggesting to Vivienne that her example was, in fact, one of users overwhelmingly preferring the Linden-made user interface to one produced by a third party.   That was one of the reasons for the popularity of Emerald, and later Phoenix -- they allowed people to continue with something based on the familiar LL-created UI.   

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

It's possible that by the time you started some of the initial major problems were fixed.  They did get fixed very fast they were so glaring.

How those problems got past quality assurance further illustrates my continued contention.  The decision makers don't have Second Lives and are therefore clueless how we use SL.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

It's possible that by the time you started some of the initial major problems were fixed.  They did get fixed very fast they were so glaring.

How those problems got past quality assurance further illustrates my continued contention.  The decision makers don't have Second Lives and are therefore clueless how we use SL.

I tried V2 when it first came out and hated it.  

Then, just as I was deciding that I'd have to bite the bullet and learn to use it, so I would support our customers who used it, Kitty Barnett talked me into using Catznip, which was, at the time, the Official Viewer 2.4 with RLVa and some tweaks.  

I found it remarkably easy to use, after a few hours' spent getting used to where things had moved to (like driving a new car you're not used to) and then, when I discovered outfits and multiple layers, I was sold completely.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

I tried V2 when it first came out and hated it.  

Then, just as I was deciding that I'd have to bite the bullet and learn to use it, so I would support our customers who used it, Kitty Barnett talked me into using Catznip, which was, at the time, the Official Viewer 2.4 with RLVa and some tweaks.  

I found it remarkably easy to use, after a few hours' spent getting used to where things had moved to (like driving a new car you're not used to) and then, when I discovered outfits and multiple layers, I was sold completely.

Oh i remember that,That's around when you told me about Kitty's viewer..

I still have that very first download  hehehehe

Heck i have all my viewer downloads all the way back to july 2006 LOL

3rd party and LL ones.

My Snow globe i think still works even..

• 6 months later...

Bouttime Whybrow wrote:

wow so second life is closing down? well it was only a matter of time.

Uhhhhh, Bouttime - you are late to that threads Pity Party of ironic and caustic comments. SL is not closing down.....yet. Will it be a footnote in history one of these days, of course. Soon the memes of the 2010's-2020's will be required study in History Classes because attention spans will have evolved to be no longer that 5 minutes.........Oh Look, a Squirrel!

imagesAJ8V37XX.jpg

Yup, SL will soon be remembered at the place to go to have an interactive 3D online, clean, no diseases exchanged relationship with a up and coming live musician! :P

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.