Something all Second Life users should consider

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am working on a project for Second Life and have come across a question that I feel there is more than one answer to. What was your process once you joined the Virtual World. For me it was choosing an interest (starting a business), setting goals to exectue this interest, once I completed these goals I would maintain my level of accomplishment by setting other goals and now its maintaining an "in world image/status" by associating with other avatar in this "Echelon". 

I am curious to know your story if you dont mind sharing. I look forward to what this posts replies will be! 

Perfect! This is what I found to be one of the many answers. I am interetsed in what your initial thoughts were when you joined SL. Were they just to come into a world to "get away" or was it more of a curiosity that you had and wanted to just explore. If you dont mind elaborating, on this, I would appreciate it! 

What it has been for me:

• Joined out of curiosity when I saw an article about Second Life - I was really excited about it
• The very first things for me to learn were how to navigate and how to use the camera in SL - effectively
• Learned how to use building tools
• Lots of exploring the grid to see what it's all about (I still do that after being over seven years in SL)
• Learned how to make mesh and how to import mesh to SL (still lots to learn there)
• As I like photography in RL the same applies to SL
• I use SL mostly for fun
• I never use SL as an escape from real life, it's just an interesting fun pastime for me
• One fascinating thing for me in SL is that there are people from all over the world there. That's cool. :smileyhappy:

Cameleon Lethecus wrote:

Perfect! This is what I found to be one of the many answers. I am interetsed in what your initial thoughts were when you joined SL. Were they just to come into a world to "get away" or was it more of a curiosity that you had and wanted to just explore. If you dont mind elaborating, on this, I would appreciate it! 

Really really? There were occasional write-ups on Second Life, in breathless tones about THE FUTURE! and 3D Web replacement and other lofty proclamations, accompanied by screen shots and occasionally some video full of stiffly animated claymation people in a LEGO world. This was a train wreck that had to be seen, and it even derailed on Macs! And an epic train wreck it is, it delivers year after year. It's a cartoon world with cartoon logic and it's real, what's not to love about that?

Senobia Xenga wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

So what is the "
" ? Or was that just a lie to get people to read your post?

^^^^^^^^^^^This

And here Phil goes breaking the dam.   ;)

I love discussing many ideas, issues, etc, etc.

And because this Forum is public anything we say is available to be scrutinized.  Comes with the territory.

But here we were again, the OP stating, "I'm working on a project...," under a microscope.  Another dang survey. 

And then maybe it was a poor word choice.  I was going to give credit for telling us a little about him/her/itself, but then I also read the word "Echelon,"  a level of command, authority, or rank

We are all equal as Residents here.

If the OP wants our help, perhaps they should be more forthcoming with what this project is.

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

So what is the "

Now, now Phil!  Be nice, this could be a camouflaged
survey
. :matte-motes-big-grin: :smileywink:

hehe. If it's a survey and the title was a lie, there's no need to be nice :)

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

So what is the "

survey

It may bring out the 'nasty' in some of us.

And a TY to Cerise for pointing out the profile!

Phil Deakins wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

So what is the "

survey

hehe. If it's a survey and the title was a lie, there's no need to be nice
:)

Aw...come on Phil. Can't we all just be nice and ignore these things instead of jumping down the poor OP's throat over yet another survey...:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

*looks for his virtual bullhorn*

'Doorbell ordinance' was not a term I was familiar with ... now I know I fully support

the idea :) Mind you, as its 5 flights of stairs to my front door and the bell doesn't

work (really must seriously consider wiring it back in) probably a moot point.

Still wondering how the OPs penny stock idea worked out.

Oh and in answer to the original, I came to SL initially to sculpt. Seven years later

I might get around to it.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

So what is the "

survey

Perhaps Cam simply decided to try a different approach to finding research subjects.

...Dres *guesses his last attempt didn't go too well*

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

So what is the "

survey

Perhaps Cam simply decided to try a different approach to finding research subjects.

...Dres *guesses his
didn't go too well*

He should have taken me up on my offer of sex.  More secrets get revealed during the hormone driven stupor of afterglow than probably any other time. 

No organized echolon, but within a circle who loosly agrees they may feel they have a command of certain things. Maybe not people, but a greater command of language, building skills or maybe money making skills. Maybe they can't explain what it is, although they think they can explain it and that is good enough for them. "Echelon" is qouted by him, so I assume he may not use it as a word that has to keep it's pure definition. He is possibly using the outes not to qoute an actual person or text, but to indicate it is a word some may think or use, and maybe it unsure it accuratly describes it but either way they are likened unto this.

All residents are equalish, premium members have more features or places available lol. Plus, some are better at some things, m00bs are better at being n00bs...beleive it or not, there is a value in that, so people sometimes survey n00bs for thier "echeloness" of n00biness! They n00b better than older members, we just can't beat them at that!

Poenald Palen wrote:

No organized echolon, but within a circle who loosly agrees they may feel they have a command of certain things. Maybe not people, but a greater command of language, building skills or maybe money making skills. Maybe they can't explain what it is, although they think they can explain it and that is good enough for them. "Echelon" is qouted by him, so I assume he may not use it as a word that has to keep it's pure definition. He is possibly using the outes not to qoute an actual person or text, but to indicate it is a word some may think or use, and maybe it unsure it accuratly describes it but either way they are likened unto this.

All residents are equalish, premium members have more features or places available lol. Plus, some are better at some things, m00bs are better at being n00bs...beleive it or not, there is a value in that, so people sometimes survey n00bs for thier "echeloness" of n00biness! They n00b better than older members, we just can't beat them at that!

like i said, possibly a poor word choice.

Something we should consider? Yeah - what DID we do when we came to SL?

I didn't have any set goals because I wasn't sure what SL had to offer. But once I started seeing stuff comparable to real life like shopping, owning a residence, fashion, modeling, businesses, blogging,  etc., my goals changed to reflect that.

For me, working on some sort of goal helps make SL fun and gives me a sense of purpose. I guess because I can't just sit around twiddling my thumbs when so many people create and accomplish wonderful things that contribute to this world.

You guys are hilarious - jumping on the OP for every little thing from the title of his post to his choice of words. Perhaps he hasn't come back since no one else has answered what he had to say, but derailed it to a degree trying to analyze his motives. Some people simply don't have the patience or the time to agrue/debate with people who clearly are out for some excitment or drama.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.