Changing name with diff types of fonts

StilettoSara

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Sara here.

Today I wanted to add some second name after my first name and chosen: TᕮⓂPᕮᔕT

This shows just perfect on the page I log in to, among other things reach my 2nd Life or like MP.

But when I logged inside to the world it shows like this:

T "a standing rectangel"ⓂP"a standing rectangel" "The S is lying down"T

Even if I rip the name, of how it's shown in world, it will get correct here as I paste it....

What is wrong? I used the font style: Wavy text generator (for the E's and the S)..

Is that font not working fully with 2nd Life? Anyone that knows?

So what to do? Well I had to set my Display Name as my account Username, bc it looked awful bad.

I dunno when it will take place but if as long as before like 10 min plus some re log in.........

Hugs Sara

Characters like that use a special font system called "Unicode" Second Life supports Unicode to a certain level which allows it to do things like display characters from Asian languages, etc. However, there's a newer, more complicated level of Unicode that isn't supported and in fact will cause serious problems if its used in something like a group title. This is probably what you're running into.

PLEASE go easy on the decorative text effects. Not only does it annoy many people but it can cause problems, and if for some reason Linden Lab ever DOES support high-level Unicode it will mean the amount of data that has to be sent for every letter used in Second LIfe will balloon.

I find it annoying when I can't read a name either....very annoying in fact.

But there are people able to read the most obscure looking text.

And it's kind of like l3375p34k.

The people who could read and write it tended to have other commonalities so they got a long really good.

n07 70  54y 7h47 fl4m3 w4r5 d1dn\'7 3rup7 1n l337 4l50..

๔єς๏гคՇє๔ ՇєאՇ เรภ'Շ ร๏ ς๏๏ɭ คร ๏ภє ๓เﻮђՇ Շђเภк ŦเгรՇ

∂є¢σяαтє∂ тєχт ιѕη'т ѕσ ¢σσℓ αѕ σηє мιﻭнт тнιηк ƒιяѕт

:smileywink:

Just use ordinary - readable, clear - text in your Display Name and everybody will be happy.  :smileyhappy:

Coby Foden wrote:

๔єς๏гคՇє๔ ՇєאՇ เรภ'Շ ร๏ ς๏๏ɭ คร ๏ภє ๓เﻮђՇ Շђเภк ŦเгรՇ

∂є¢σяαтє∂ тєχт ιѕη'т ѕσ ¢σσℓ αѕ σηє мιﻭнт тнιηк ƒιяѕт

:smileywink:

Just use ordinary - readable, clear - text in your Display Name and everybody will be happy.  :smileyhappy:

wh3n 3v3n 4 m4r714n c4n\'7 r34d 17 y0u kn0w 17 h45 70 b3 b4d!

As a host in-world, I can tell you names with highly decorated fonts are a bish because I have to go to their profile, copy and paste their name, and then greet them.  It adds extra steps and keeps me from paying attention to other guests in the club.

Kat Clifton wrote:

As a host in-world, I can tell you names with highly decorated fonts are a bish because I have to go to their profile, copy and paste their name, and then greet them.  It adds extra steps and keeps me from paying attention to other guests in the club.

This is commendable but rare and the OP should not expect this in other venues or with other hosts.  Mostly people will call her by her user name if they can't read her display name.  Even if they can, they are only going to type it out in plain text.  She should not expect extraordinary steps like this just because she chooses to overdecorate her name.

Those funny unreadable names is why I have never turned on display names. I don't RP so I have no use for temp names that change so often. I always laugh when I am out and about and see, so and so is now known as what ever. I like my name and feel so sad for the people with the newer names in SL. But disposable names are not for me, but that's one of the great parts of SL, you can do it how ever you like, you just can't get a real name any more, so sad, so very sad.

About a year after LL switched to the Resident last name, they claim they took a poll and that most people didn't want proper last names to come back. Funny though, everyone I talked to wanted them back. With no last names, we really are running out of first names unless you start adding numbers. We also lost the ability for witty names. In my personal circle of friends I have Pepperment Twist, Sinfuldelight Fiul, Gavyn Wolfhunter who RP hunting lycans, Demented Idlemind, Haydn(pronounced hidin) Eternal, Variably Silent for just a few examples. Personally, I think it's just laziness on LL part not wanting to have to come up with last names. All they have to do is recycle the list of surnames. They had lists for 5 years. Many of the original surnames no longer even have anyone with that name. It's not that hard to see if with the older ones from the beginning, if there are still active players around with that name to take it off the list....won't happen, but I can dream.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.