Notecard crash

Ginger Pancake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I made the mistake of thinking I could view a notecard without accepting it and when I clicked on it, it crashed me. I deleted it from my inventory, emptied my trash, changed my SL password and my email password. I am currently doing a virus scan on my computer at the moment. I was wondering if there is any way someone can get any of my information through this notecard trick? Are there anymore precautions I should take? Thank you for all responses.

Adding information: It was clearly a threat. When I logged back in, the person who had given me then notecard began to threaten me, saying he was not done with me. They were also trying to make other people click on the notecard. I am pretty sure this was not a coincidence.

20 answers to this question

• Moles

Grab the creator's name from the notecard and submit an Abuse Report.  Attach a copy of the notecard if you can, or at least indicate that you have a copy that you can provide on demand.  If you cannot read the creator's name for some reason, use the name Governor Linden.

• Thanks 2

GingerPurr wrote:

I made the mistake of thinking I could view a notecard without accepting it and when I clicked on it, it crashed me. I deleted it from my inventory, emptied my trash, changed my SL password and my email password. I am currently doing a virus scan on my computer at the moment. I was wondering if there is any way someone can get any of my information through this notecard trick? Are there anymore precautions I should take? Thank you for all responses.

Personally I have in my 6 years in SL never heard of a notecard causing issues, but by all means it might be possible, I just have never heard of it..  (But I am sure if anyone have heard of it, then will let you know)

A notecard is just a 'letter' and there is no scripts or anything in them, so my guess is, that it was just a coincidence that you crashed same time you read the notecard. I think what you have done with virus scan and new pw etc is good, just in case, and it is better be safe than sorry.. I do think you have taken all the precautions that is needed :)

EDIT: With that added info I would (if it was me) most deffently AR that person so LL can get involved. I know they dont get into resident to resident despute, but when another threaten you, that is not okay nor allowed... AR the person and mute them, you can do both by going to their profile (I think... its been yrs since I did it myself and I am not inworld right now so I can not check it, but if you need me too, then send me a message and i will tell you when i get inworld in few hours) I do think you also can report the notecard if you still have it...

Since I have not before heard a notecard to be a threat, in itself, that can harm a computer, so I think he was trying to scare you (which is bad enough and not right to do). Only thing I can think of, would be if he had a harmful link inside the notecard, but then you would have to open the notecard and then also click that link, of which you thankfully did not.

So I think you are safe with what you have done.. But do AR the person and mute them so they no longer can bother you.

Hugsss

• Like 1

GingerPurr wrote:

Adding information: It was clearly a threat. When I logged back in, the person who had given me then notecard began to threaten me, saying he was not done with me. They were also trying to make other people click on the notecard. I am pretty sure this was not a coincidence.

There's a Firestorm JIRA that sounds similar to this situation - a notecard can contain an inventory object of an invalid type that the viewer can't recognize, which crashes the viewer. That particular situation shouldn't cause any information loss or any longterm danger. Firestorm has a fix for the issue scheduled for the next release.

http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-13558

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had this very problem yesterday!

1. After logging on I had a vertical line of single "@" going from top to bottom of my viewer. (I thought maybe it was just a glitch.)

2. Suddenly, what looked like a Dialog window opened up, (the right color and width but it went from top to bottom of my viewer) with only the word "Welcome" in the top line.

3. A minute or so later, I received about 30, what looked like little blue boxes, adding, from right to left across the top of my viewer.  They continued until I was able to click and "Delete All".

4. My Inventorys Notecard-Folder was filled with 30 new Notecards all named "Instructions (no modify)".

5. Opening one of them, it only had the word "loading..." at the top and my Viewer hung and eventually I was kicked out with a message saying my region may have had problems.

6. Before logging back on I did various Virus checks and all was ok.

7. I opened one of the new notecards and it had hundreds of lines of just a single "@" on each line.

8. I deleted all those new Notecards and then flushed my Trash of them, except one.

9. I clicked this one Notecard left in my Trash-Folder and my viewer hung again and after a few minutes I was kicked out again.
(This happens each time I try to open it.)

I remember seeing only one Avatar on the sim (a sandbox) flying above me as this problem started but sadly I didnt catch his name fast enough before my Viewer hung that first time. I think his name started with "you..." or "Yor...".

Who can I pass this information, and the mentioned Notecard to, for examination?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jak Scribe said:

Why use "Govenor Linden" instead of the unknown name?

Because that's always what you are advised to do if you can't identify the person.  LL has mysterious ways to figure out some missing details, and they may be able to correlate your AR with ones that other people have submitted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jak Scribe said:

That was the first place I looked but the Creator is unknown.

I am hoping that Linden can see more Information when they at the metadata for it.

Why use "Govenor Linden" instead of the unknown name?

Log in to secondlife.com go to L$ Transaction History and you will see their name there if you are curious.

but follow the procedure the way Mole told you.

nBAj1j0.png

Edited by Nick0678
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2014 at 7:29 AM, Theresa Tennyson said:

There's a Firestorm JIRA that sounds similar to this situation - a notecard can contain an inventory object of an invalid type that the viewer can't recognize, which crashes the viewer. That particular situation shouldn't cause any information loss or any longterm danger. Firestorm has a fix for the issue scheduled for the next release.

nvm

Edited by sandi Mexicola
erasing an embarrassingly incorrect comment as best i can

2 minutes ago, sandi Mexicola said:

seems the transaction history includes anything u were given or gave

Except for the name of the creator.  You can certainly get the name of the person who gave it to you, though. That could also be the creator, but still let LL sort it out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sandi Mexicola said:

uhm, tell me if i am correct: this issue was apparently fixed in April of 2014 in version 4.6.5?

6 minutes ago, jak Scribe said:

That would not be very transparent from LInden, and gives the impression that they don't care. 🙁

The Owner would like to know who the griefer is so they can block that person.

I agree with you but they won't

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jak Scribe said:

That would not be very transparent from LInden, and gives the impression that they don't care. 🙁

The Owner would like to know who the griefer is so they can block that person.

The Abuse Report process is NOT transparent, intentionally. LL is careful to protect the privacy of everyone, even when they are nasty bad griefer people. If you yourself were the subject of an AR, I'm sure you would appreciate this.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.