Camping banned in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is a good read on the matter: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Land-and-Sea-General/Further-Clarification-on-Bots-and-Camping/ba-p/643765

And no, camping is not banned, gaming traffic is. If the parcel the activity occurs on has show place in search enabled in their about land, than that is a violation. However, if the land is not set to show up in search, I honestly can't see how they're trying to game traffic if they do not even show up in search, so it wouldn't be a violation. Someone correct me on this if I overlooked something crucial.

iCade wrote:

This is a good read on the matter: 

And no, camping is not banned, gaming traffic is. If the parcel the activity occurs on has show place in search enabled in their about land, than that is a violation. However, if the land is not set to show up in search, I honestly can't see how they're trying to game traffic if they do not even show up in search, so it wouldn't be a violation. Someone correct me on this if I overlooked something crucial.

exactly.

It's along the same lines as fishing for outfits. Whether you spend hours camping or fishing doesn't it still game traffic? Not that anyone uses inworld search anymore.

Sassy Romano wrote:

You can ask people, you can randomly fly around, look in people's profiles, find places listed on web sites. Go and hunt around on the zindra continent for popular adult locations on mainland

Just some examples.

Or you can just use search and save yourself a lot of time :)

Phil Deakins wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

It's along the same lines as fishing for outfits. Whether you spend hours camping or fishing doesn't it still game traffic?
Not that anyone uses inworld search anymore.

You're totally wrong about that
;)

if i am looking for a new mens clothing store, you can bet i will not be using inworld search. too many keyword gamers.

What you do is irrelevant. You said, "Not that anyone uses inworld search any more". You are totally wrong about that, and I can prove it.

When i want to find something, I always use the inworld search, and I never use any other search. That's complete proof that what you said is wrong. And I've no doubt that there are masses of other people who also use the inworld search.

Aethelwine wrote:

how do you search for places and people without using inworld search?

Automagically and with zen like powers also known as "I didn't already know about it, so LLs is broken for not personally driving up to my block and telling me because I refuse to use a search bar that I thought was broken in 2009 and NOTHING HAS EVER CHANGED IN SL SINCE 2009 so its still up and done broke."

Or you just type what you're looking for in the search bar and go there. :P

Phil Deakins wrote:

What you do is irrelevant. You said, "
Not that anyone uses inworld search any more
". You are totally wrong about that, and I can prove it.

When i want to find something, I always use the inworld search, and I never use any other search. That's complete proof that what you said is wrong. And I've no doubt that there are masses of other people who also use the inworld search.

I think what Drake meant to say is that traffic scores aren't as important to many people as those who try to game them believe. Personally I use in-world search to find a SPECIFIC thing that I know at least part of the name of, (including people and places), and occasionally a very specific category that would have few entries - say, "World War I uniforms."

I would never search for vague terms like "Dance Club" or "Women's Clothing" because it's too easy to game your listing order by measures that have nothing to do with the quality of service, especially back when traffic was the big factor - it would be the same as calling Acme Plumbers in real life because they were the first ones listed in the phone book.

Phil Deakins wrote:

To be fair, I think what Drake was actually trying to say is that nobody uses inworld search any more. Just like he said
:)

And what you said was you never use any other search than in-world search. Exactly how many sets of car keys have you lost so far, then?

Phil Deakins wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

You can ask people, you can randomly fly around, look in people's profiles, find places listed on web sites. Go and hunt around on the zindra continent for popular adult locations on mainland

Just some examples.

Or you can just use search and save yourself a lot of time

Phil... pay attention! :matte-motes-silly: I was replying to this question from the poster prior to my answer:-

"how do you search for places and people without using inworld search?"

Should i be looking for lingerie? It doesnt really matter what kind of item i am looking for, i search the MP and then see if they have an inworld store. I have found inworld search to be heavily gamed and useless. Sorry for my opinion. I didnt realize we all had to follow Phil like sheep.

Nobody cares how you do your searching. And nobody said that people should search the way I do, or the way anyone else does. You made a statement that was absolutely wrong, and it was proved to be absolutely wrong. I'm sorry that you feel the need to defend your statement. We all get things wrong sometimes, and it was your turn this time, that's all :) People do use the inworld search.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

To be fair, I think what Drake was actually trying to say is that nobody uses inworld search any more. Just like he said

And what you said was you never use any other search than in-world search. Exactly how many sets of car keys have you lost so far, then?

You've lost me there, Theresa. Perhaps i should have been more specific by saying that, for anything to do with SL, I only ever use the inworld search, but that went without saying.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

Just some examples.

Or you can just use search and save yourself a lot of time

Phil... pay attention! :matte-motes-silly: I was replying to this question from the poster prior to my answer:-

"how do you search for places and people without using inworld search?"

Ah, sorry. I thought the question wasn't aimed at you specifically, and I'm certain that your reply wasn't about you, I liked my reply, so I'll stick with it :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.