Coming of age in Second Life

Caroline Takeda

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Residents

I finally decided to upgrade Caroline to a non-noob and more sophisticated look. Readers of my blog know, that the original idea was not to spend any money on her to show noobs how to make your way in Second Life without money, without friends or landmarks.

I did that now for about two years with my ALT Caroline Resident and enough is enough. I mean after a while most noobs will eventually spend some money on their avatar too.

Here is the result
http://www.second-life-adventures.com/coming-age-life/

Please comment on the blog.

I also thought it might be a fun idea if we share here pics from our very first avatars and how they developed over time. 

Do you dare?

An interesting experiment, Caroline.

I've been trying something rather similar, in large measure to determine how well and quickly students coming into SL could de-noobify themselves.

My own experience suggests that it's not difficult to find nice freebie clothes via group gifts, but that this can actually require a fair amount of work and time. I'm fairly choosy about what I wear (I now have folders full of garbage my avatar wouldn't be caught de-rezzed in), so it took about a month of freebie hunting to put together a reasonably sufficient collection of decent outfits. Mostly it's mesh, but there are a few nice outfits comprised primarily of old-style system and prim clothing. 

The real challenge, in terms of clothing, has been finding nice shoes. Not boots: I have some very nice pairs of those (thank you Coco!!!), but nice versions of basic pumps, wedges, and Mary Janes have been (surprisingly) harder to find. Perhaps, however, I haven't spent enough time looking for those, it being boot season and all.

On the other hand, there are three items that I think are absolutely vital to one's look for which I ultimately decided I couldn't rely upon freebies: skins, hair, and animations.

Possibly, again, I am being picky, or maybe the importance I accord these three items just reflects my own personal predilections, but I finally broke down and bought all of these.

I also spent countless hours tweaking my shape, but that's another story.

Your new avatar looks, I think, really lovely. :-)

It occurs to me you asked for "old" pics. Here's an all-freebie one of me: mesh sweater, system jeans (not shown!), freebie hair and skin.

I should have mentioned that I got some terrific help at Caledon Oxbridge from a very sweet mentor by the name of Lemuria. Most of the clothes she gave me were frankly unwearable, but I think the hair is from her.

Nothing but freebie!

carolinestravels wrote:

I also thought it might be a fun idea if we share here pics from our very first avatars and how they developed over time.

Newbie2007_Oldbie2014.jpg

That underfed newbie was one of the worst "complete" avatars in the Library when I came to SL.

All what were available in the Library were rather horrible - especially the no-definition skins.

LaskyaClaren wrote:

On the other hand, there are three items that I think are absolutely vital to one's look for which I ultimately decided I couldn't rely upon freebies: skins, hair, and animations.

Possibly, again, I am being picky, or maybe the importance I accord these three items just reflects my own personal predilections, but I finally broke down and bought all of these.

I also spent countless hours tweaking my shape, but that's another story.

I completely agree.

In the last 6 months I've spent less than an hour in game so the transformation of my avi hasn't progressed much since then.

I started with the standard red headed fashion designer avi and after freebie shopping the first thing I got was an LAQ skin (notice she's still got the stubby arms that LL favors.):

DianeSummersSL_001_420.png

I quickly got an Oracul AO since some of the standard LL animations irritated me.

I replaced my free flexie hair with mesh.  Although I liked the flexie hair it was too long and when dancing passed through both my body and my dance partner's.

Diane4.png

I love the skin, and the hair! I've heard of LAQ, but never looked for myself. I should.

Preferences for hair are interesting. I decided that I didn't like mesh hair, precisely because it doesn't move; someone here in another thread I read referred to it as a lump of plastiscene sitting on your head, which about captures my own feelings.

So, I consciously went for flexi, which is becoming harder to find. 

But I like shorter hair, so billowing clouds of it on the dance floor aren't so much of an issue with me. :-)

Coby Foden wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

What an absolutely gorgeous avatar, Coby. :-)

Some Photoshop magic was done. Inworld the lighting is not so good and gentle for the skin.  :matte-motes-wink:

Coby

still an extremely nice avatar. 

Here is Caroline in May 2010. The first Freebie based avatar for Carol shortly after leaving Orientation Island:

http://www.second-life-adventures.com/i-am-pretty-now/

Thats the one I started with and a funny story about it:

http://www.second-life-adventures.com/ugly-avatar-second-life/

If I ever get back into the game I will be customizing my AO and looking for new hair, and off cource always tweaking the shape.  I did like the free flexi hair I had except it was too long.  I'm not completely happy with mesh hair either so it could be difficult to find something.

I love seeing all the before and after pictures.  Everybody is looking pretty good now.  Great idea for a thread.

first_001.png

This is the very first photo I took in game, and it's this picture that got me hooked. I thought I looked so cool <3 (someone directed me to freebie galaxy when i first started, so credit for this look goes there)

christmascrow_002.png

then I figured out how to use the marketplace/fashion blogs to find freebies & group gifts. New hair, new skin, new everything. I'm only 4 months old, I can't wait to see how a look after a few years!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.