Returning, a world once well known, now an alien planet.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am Kamoba, I doubt many will remember me from the old days, but I was active and had a fair few experiences in Second Life.

I entered this world called Second Life and knew nothing, I learnt much and then used what is learnt to teach others, now I return after some 3 years, and it is true, Second Life is still evolving... And has evolved. This world is a new and I intend to immerse myself into it the same way I did before.

Make friends, make items, and maybe even look at this 'mesh' stuff.

Kamoba Ferraris wrote:

I am Kamoba, I doubt many will remember me from the old days, but I was active and had a fair few experiences in Second Life.

I entered this world called Second Life and knew nothing, I learnt much and then used what is learnt to teach others, now I return after some 3 years, and it is true, Second Life is still evolving... And has evolved. This world is a new and I intend to immerse myself into it the same way I did before.

Make friends, make items, and maybe even look at this 'mesh' stuff.

Welcome back, Kamoba.  Certainly enough has changed in the past few years to make coming back a new and exciting endeavor; and yet, enough has remained the same that it shouldn't take you very long to get back into the swing of things.  Regardless of where it might take you, may you enjoy your sojourn into this strange and wonderful world.

...Dres

Thanks Dres and Celestiall!

As for the returning trend:

For me there is a lack of anything to compare to SL.

All other multiplayer online games or multiverse's lack allot of creative freedom or adult maturity SL offers. (Yes Adults come with drama, but at least it is correctly spelt and intelligible drama, unlike the stuff kids come out with in many many online communities.....)

Kamoba Ferraris wrote:

All other multiplayer online games or multiverse's lack allot of creative freedom or adult maturity SL offers. (Yes Adults come with drama, but at least it is correctly spelt and intelligible drama, unlike the stuff kids come out with in many many online communities.....)

Can we quote you?

This is a wonderful post.

Hope you stick around the Forum too.

Perrie, it was a good post, but I'm afraid that bit about "...at least it is correctly spelt and intelligible drama..." is going to prove incorrect in some cases. We do get our fair share of horribly spelt and mightily unintelligible drama even here among the grown-ups.

Thank goodness, we also get our fair share of reasoned and often humorous commentary.

To use one of SL's most common expressions: wb, Kamoba. :-)

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Perrie, it
was
a good post, but I'm afraid that bit about "...at least it is correctly spelt and intelligible drama..." is going to prove incorrect in some cases. We do get our fair share of horribly spelt and mightily unintelligible drama even here among the grown-ups.

Thank goodness, we also get our fair share of reasoned and often humorous commentary.

To use one of SL's most common expressions: wb, Kamoba. :-)

This is true.  But I use it as an excellent screening test of who I would like to get to know better and hang out with.

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

Kamoba Ferraris wrote:

Hmm, I'm seeing a trend.  I've met half-dozen people inworld recently who have returned to SL after years of being away.

Yay!  Oldnewbies.  *smiles*

Newdbies?

My first login for more than an hour, and I had the pleasure of spending it with three friends who I have not seen in a very long time, their avatars may have changed, but they are the same crazy and wonderful people that I remember!

'Gotta love my hobo's!'

'My journey has begun, and it has not begun alone.'

Today's task, start the makings of a new avatar from scratch!

While watching videos and reading guides regarding this new 'mesh' thing.

Secondlife proves a world of wonder once again. :)

Also thanks to all you guys and girls here on the forums for your warm welcome! Feel free to chat in game if you want! :)

Kamoba Ferraris wrote:

My first login for more than an hour, and I had the pleasure of spending it with three friends who I have not seen in a very long time, their avatars may have changed, but they are the same crazy and wonderful people that I remember!

'Gotta love my hobo's!'

'My journey has begun, and it has not begun alone.'

Today's task, start the makings of a new avatar from scratch!

While watching videos and reading guides regarding this new 'mesh' thing.

Secondlife proves a world of wonder once again.
:)

Also thanks to all you guys and girls here on the forums for your warm welcome! Feel free to chat in game if you want!
:)

Wonderful, Kamoba.  Connecting with old acquaintances can be a most wonderful thing.

So can creating a new look for your avatar.  Along with the advent of mesh, you'll notice more demos being offered for clothing items.  I recommend using this to your advantage and always try a demo version before you make your final purchase... unless it's non-mesh clothing, in which case, you're pretty safe, at least where fit is concerned.  As has always been the case, try demos for skins and shapes before you buy them as well.

One thing you should take into account when buying a skin, is the fact that there are now tattoo layers, which enable you to add layers to your entire skin.  This makes the need for having more than one skin in order to accommodate make-up, hair base and facial hair variations a thing of the past.

For your shape, since you're starting from scratch, you might want to consider following the specific shape numbers used for one of the standard sizes.  Standard sizing came about because, when mesh clothing first came out, making them so that they conform to your avatar was not possible.  So a set of mesh clothiers got together and, with information gathered through a small survey, came up with this system of measurements, which they hoped would become standard.  It's used by a lot, but not all, mesh clothing creators.  So, even if you base your avatar shape on this, you'll still want to demo everything first.

The main reason why I recommend you use a standard size for the basis of your shape, is simply because it will be much, much easier for you to fit into mesh clothing without having to make adjustments to your shape for every outfit you wear. The easiest way to accomplish this would be to purchase this set of shapes (link) and base upon it a shape which you create yourself.  Just be careful not to change the settings that are the basis for these shapes.  These settings are listed on the page to which I just linked, but for your convenience, I shall repost them here...

FEMALE

-----------------------

-XXS

Body Fat: 0

Torso Muscle: 21

Breast Size: 32

Love Handles: 22

Belly Size: 0

Leg Muscle: 40

Butt Size: 24

Saddle Bags: 22

Knee Angle: 50

-XS

Body Fat: 5

Torso Muscle: 31

Breast Size: 48

Love Handles: 25

Belly Size: 2

Leg Muscle: 45

Butt Size: 34

Saddle Bags: 30

-S

Body Fat: 7

Torso Muscle: 35

Breast Size: 52

Love Handles: 28

Belly Size: 3

Leg Muscle: 50

Butt Size: 38

Saddle Bags: 33

-M

Body Fat: 11

Torso Muscle: 38

Breast Size: 58

Love Handles: 31

Belly Size: 6

Leg Muscle: 56

Butt Size: 44

Saddle Bags: 36

-L

Body Fat: 24

Torso Muscle: 48

Breast Size: 71

Love Handles: 39

Belly Size: 14

Leg Muscle: 69

Butt Size: 62

Saddle Bags: 45

MALE

-----------------------

-XS

Body Fat: 0

Torso Muscle: 28

Love Handles: 11

Leg Muscle: 43

Butt Size: 30

Saddle Bags: 11

Package: 6

Pectorals: 50

-S

Body Fat: 1

Torso Muscle: 37

Love Handles: 19

Leg Muscle: 49

Butt Size: 41

Saddle Bags: 16

Package: 16

Pectorals: 40

-M

Body Fat: 5

Belly Size: 3

Torso Muscle: 51

Love Handles: 28

Leg Muscle: 61

Butt Size: 55

Saddle Bags: 31

Package: 31

Pectorals: 27

-L

Body Fat: 13

Belly Size: 9

Torso Muscle: 72

Love Handles: 35

Leg Muscle: 76

Butt Size: 65

Saddle Bags: 49

Package: 49

Pectorals: 10

-XL

Body Fat: 22

Belly Size: 14

Torso Muscle: 88

Love Handles: 42

Leg Muscle: 85

Butt Size: 73

Saddle Bags: 56

Package: 56

Pectorals: 1

Here is another tool that will help you create a well proportioned avatar shape... link.  Here's is more in-depth information about this process, which you might find helpful... link.  If you prefer to buy a shape already made, all you have to do is (well first, make sure it's modifiable... then) change the specific shape numbers of the pre-made shape to conform to those in one of the choices above.

I do hope this has helped and that you enjoy the process of creating a new you, as much as you do the final product.

...Dres

Perrie Juran wrote:

Kamoba Ferraris wrote:

Can we quote you?

This is a wonderful post.

Hope you stick around the Forum too.

I second that!!!

Blue Voix wrote:

I came back too after a bit of a break. I really enjoy the mesh and looks like you have already been given some excellent advice.

Welcome back, Blue.  I quite enjoyed looking through your tumblr... so many strange and beautiful images.  I had to force myself to stop, so I can finally get some sleep... lol.

...Dres

I develop and run an online game that is 15 years old, so in that I have seen countless players returning from the older days. They're always interested in seeing the new stuff as well as getting hit with nostalgia since there is a fair bit of old stuff mixed in. New and old members of the community mix well.

The game is still active (with players and updates) today. It is not as large as SL; smaller world and much less users.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.