About the IP

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

IP addresses are like underwear. Everyone has one [or more :P] - Yes, it is possible to identify a avatar's service IP address.  DJ's can see them when looking at the map of where in the world there listeners come from since the music relay service we need needs to know them. Same goes for people & companies streaming media such as movies from media servers. I guess you can write a JS

so that when someone looks at your media on a prim their IP address is captured. And so on and so on.

Posting it - is an A.R. Offence. File an Abuse Report.

Legal doesn't come into play in any way shape or form.

OK, so now the IP Address your ISP assigned to you is out there. That only exposes your general location unless you own a range of IP addresses directly from ICANN. The last time I checked mine, it was 55 miles wrong - :D

thanks for the information,  you say, is ilegal put a ip from any player in the second life public chat? i am play in a sandbox and a guy put my real ip in there. i make a report about this guy in this moment:matte-motes-angry:

note , i report this guy, he have a tons of ilegal griefer tools, he have a video card computer real crash tool attack, he have a copybot attacks, he have a track ip attack, he have a server down attacks, and more, i cant say the name, but i recomended to a linden check my report, we need herradicate this inescrupolous persons from second life, :matte-motes-angry:

Reporting him will help....I hope. Remember, report only the facts you can support. So many A.R.s end up in the trash by people over reaching.

My point is that Statute Law [thus issues of legality] does not apply in SecondLife. The Linden Lab Terms of Service is the governing document here. IP Addresses are not a protected morsel of information.  Sharing any personal [real world] information about any Avatar Account is a violation of the LL TOS.

Whenever someone says they have your IP and tries to tell you where you are, simply deny it and say you are going through a VPN service for business reasons entirely unrelated to SL. There you go. Plausible deniability. It's only true if you verify it.

Your IP is used everytime you use the internet and it doesn't really give out sensitive informations about yourself. It gives a hint from where in the world you are logging in, but that does not identifiy you as an individual. For example, where I live, I'm one person of over a milion others who live in the same area.

As KarenMichelle Lane said, it is not illegal in the US. It is only against the LL TOS. They can kick someone out of SL, but no more.

As others have pointed out, the IP address may or may not identify the general area you are in. It is assigned to your internet service provider. In some cases, that is a local company so your IP address will show (using a "whois" ip lookup service) what town you are in. In some cases the address location may be the headquarters city of the service provider. I have used (not for SL) internet from some coffee shops where the IP address location was the headquarters location for the chain. (another state miles from the one where I was). In one case someone using an office computer on the east coast had a west coast IP address (the company IT department was located on the west coast).

Marybeth

WordPress     Facebook

FWIW, it's my recollection that IP address disclosure got to be against the Second Life ToS solely because it could be used to identify alt accounts (subject to the usual caveats that this only worked most of the time and could be defeated with only reasonable effort). I don't think geolocation was much a concern. Of course it, too, can be spoofed with no rocket science required.

In any case, it was never really a "security" issue but rather a simple business decision: Lab's customers didn't want their alts identified, and this was a broad enough concern to outweigh the ability of a few RedZone fans to spy on their friends and other victims, however much fun that was for them.

Nova Convair wrote:

All said, but one. Why do you give out your IP to everyone?

Switch off automatic playing/viewing of media and dont click any links - at least in a sandbox.

The only thing left that can handout your IP then is voice - if that still has the old security hole.

and your crazy? i dont make nothing about this. you dont know  really how the griefers can get your ip with the attack tools?, they can get your ip with a simple tools, and you dont need make nothing about click in medias, or links or what ever, they can get your ip very easy and they can get just only using your large key in the profile and can track yours, the problem is, he cant put my ip in a public chat with out my permission and say my real country, and i dont give my permission for this :matte-motes-angry:

http://www.shellshock.ws/

very interseting hmm, this link speak about this

This tools is a defense againts the grifers, so we need a protections tools to evade the exploids in second life grid, that use the griefers agains the residents of second life and to make impossible life to a residenrs, this is very questionable,

in my personal opinion why i need a tool for protect my area? , or my playing time  buying a defense tools? the sims and servers are not free, thats is not a works from linden labs?  for protect to a comunity?, some people say, ah but if your recieve attack you can report, but the report do not respond efective,

the answer to this, is very simple, linden labs make a tons of money, alot money with a defense weapons and attack weapons? ,,or o i am wrong? :matte-motes-angry:

the answer to this, is very simple, linden labs make a tons of money, alot money with a defense weapons and attack weapons? ,,or o i am wrong? :matte-motes-angry:

You're going to make yourself miserable worrying about these lame griefers. They just don't matter. Ignore them.

Or go ahead and make yourself miserable, if that's your thing. Just don't expect others to get all exercised about the same dopey crap that's been around for as long as there's been a Second Life, and appeals exclusively to newbies and underage players.

I can mute a person, but why i cannot stop the person that hit me, no reason,, hmmm is strange, so, give me the posibility to stop animation comming from someone i do not like, i can block his mouth but not his acts?, so i cannot hear i cant stop the same people when i am offended?

Its totally not compatible with the half of the TOS,, for example, only because it is said you cannot griefer,, how some grief is conisered a lulsz think, where is the difference between luls and not luls,, some hud let you share the perms of people between friends, i can lool with you , so not with gods for example, when you are in a pg area and one make you doing some xxx acts acts is is a lulz?

Know I've not all the words , but the point is , in each social network, the rules are to respect people and not to offend

why in sl you can do it stealing perms? i say never,

This has nothing to with being miserable in second life, or be miserable , these points I mention them by this leads many years going out of control and someone has its to talk although many people do not agree why my points, :matte-motes-angry:

IvanTwin Rogers wrote:

This tools is a defense againts the grifers, so we need a protections tools to evade the exploids in second life grid, that use the griefers agains the residents of second life and to make impossible life to a residenrs, this is very questionable,

in my personal opinion why i need a tool for protect my area? , or my playing time  buying a defense tools? the sims and servers are not free, thats is not a works from linden labs?  for protect to a comunity?, some people say, ah but if your recieve attack you can report, but the report do not respond efective,

Okay - let's see. You're a Lifetime Member, which means you have free land. And you've obviously been around long enough to know that there are many alternatives to the public sandboxes griefers hang out at even if you need more space for what you want to do. But you always hang out at the sandboxes and always complain about griefers, and in fact confront them, so they just grief you more.

So, basically, you're getting griefed because you WANT to be griefed, or at least want to complain about it.  In other words, you enjoy playing the martyr. Well, I'm sure we're all glad you're so fulfilled in SL but that doesn't mean anyone else is going to listen to you.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

IvanTwin Rogers wrote:

Okay - let's see. You're a Lifetime Member, which means you have free land. And you've obviously been around long enough to know that there are many alternatives to the public sandboxes griefers hang out at even if you need more space for what you want to do. But you always hang out at the sandboxes and always complain about griefers, and in fact confront them, so they just grief you more.

So, basically, you're getting griefed because you WANT to be griefed, or at least want to complain about it.  In other words, you enjoy playing the martyr. Well, I'm sure we're all glad you're so fulfilled in SL but that doesn't mean anyone else is going to listen to you.

uff  i have a free membership i cant say nothing about the quality os second life, and the OTHERS PLAYERS?  tell me about all people . tell me about others players who pay all time their lands and are contantly attacked, let me say that is not only in sandbox, there is in private areas in the grid.

Linden labs has to tighten their security in honor to a good cominity, if i make a mute to a griefer, this mute is a half mute, becuse this mute only block the message and the clothes, thats is completly stupid really, we need a full and complete mute in all aspect, no more hits, not more stolen permission etc no more attack directly to a players,

Its amazin how people come here ans say to me, you member ship is free shut up you mouth, haha, you post here is very pathetic, and horrible :matte-motes-angry:

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

IvanTwin Rogers wrote:

This.

It's really simple: The best way to avoid griefer attacks is to avoid the griefers. This is as simple as staying away from where they hang out. I have never, in my 5+ years in SL, had any noteworthy issue with griefers - at least nothing that a simple TP out of there couldn't cure.

Katheryne Helendale wrote:

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

IvanTwin Rogers wrote:

This.

It's really simple: The best way to avoid griefer attacks is to avoid the griefers. This is as simple as staying away from where they hang out. I have never, in my 5+ years in SL, had any noteworthy issue with griefers - at least nothing that a simple TP out of there couldn't cure.

sorry, but thats is not a soluction, I am sure many people do not dare to talk here in the forums bye fear, and i bet everything thats linden labs recieve is thousands and thousands of report of complain on this issue of the grifers, linden labs can improve excelent MUTE system towards individuals and not to make it loose just to only block the text and the person clothes.

Its very easy to attack to me in person, criticizin me, and say to me close my mouth because i have a free acoount, when a people cant respond back with inteligent mode, because they cant, is to easy attack me., yes is more easy, so as is Linden Labs the giant, vs a Ivantwin Rogers who is this little guy?  There are many people supporting me in my approach, but they say to me the dont expose nothing in the forums because thats is a losing time, well I have the losing, but this is very pathetic, just patetic:matte-motes-angry:

IvanTwin Rogers wrote:

Katheryne Helendale wrote:

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

IvanTwin Rogers wrote:

This.

sorry, but thats is not a soluction, I am sure many people do not dare to talk here in the forums bye fear, and i bet everything thats linden labs recieve is thousands and thousands of report of complain on this issue of the grifers, linden labs can improve excelent MUTE system towards individuals and not to make it loose just to only block the text and the person clothes.

Its very easy to attack to me in person, criticizin me, and say to me close my mouth because i have a free acoount, when a people cant respond back with inteligent mode, because they cant, is to easy attack me., yes is more easy, so as is Linden Labs the giant, vs a Ivantwin Rogers who is this little guy?  There are many people supporting me in my approach, but they say to me the dont expose nothing in the forums because thats is a losing time, well I have the losing, but this is very pathetic, just patetic:matte-motes-angry:

Bears live in the woods.

So you have to learn to deal with that.

If you live near the woods and leave your garbage out, the bears will come and dig through it, because it has food that they want.

If they can't get the food? They'll stop trying.

So when new people move to bear country they need to learn about how to store their garbage - I understand that. They're new to the area. So they might have bear problems for a while, but then they'll learn. And after a while, the bears will go back into the woods.

Now, if someone who lives in bear country all their life intentionally leaves meat on their porch to bring the bears out and then calls the sheriff every night to try to get them to do something about the bears instead of doing all the other things they need to do? All they're doing is making things worse for everyone because they're FEEDING THE BEARS.

For a griefer, attention and people getting upset are food - it's what they crave. And if you give them it, they'll just keep coming back for more. And if they DON'T get it? Eventually they'll get bored.

There certainly was a landowner who had a lot of problems with one particular griefer. So what did he do?

HE MADE YOUTUBE VIDEOS SAYING WHAT AN AWFUL PERSON THIS GRIEFER WAS!

In other words, he did exactly what the griefer wanted. And the griefer kept coming back. See how that works?

And that's what you do too. Over and over again.

STOP FEEDING THE BEARS.

Of course, I'm just as guilty as you are because in my saying this to you it'll just make you feel more like a martyr and complain even more. I need to stop writing posts like this.

SO I WILL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.