Can A Marketplace Store Be Shared?

Lucas Scarborough

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3838 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My wife and I both create. On the Marketplace, the store is owned by me (as I couldn't find a way for us both to own it), but in-world, it is both of ours as we both put out items.  Is there a way for her to upload her creations onto the marketplace store without me having to get them from her full perm, change the permissions, and then upload them as my own?  Wouldn't that also be in violation of some terms of use for me to take ownership of her items full perm even if just to put on the marketplace?

There is no rule against giving things to someone full perm. The marketplace is full of people selling full perm. 

There is no provision for two accounts to be able to upload to one MP store.  But you could just use her account to upload things to the MP, if you have that level of trust. 

When I read your post I immediately  thought of The Looking Glass which is "owned" (I don't know any particulars) by two folks.  They solved the problem by having the same store name and then their name following. That is most likely the easiest method and seems to have been working for them for years.

Screenshot_2.png

The way which my partner and I do it is that I list the item and I sell a prim with a script in.

The script itself just happens to be an updater script which is part of the Hippo Update server product and is deliberately an "old version number" inside the script.

The actual product is owned by my partner, I don't have to handle it, he pops his product in his Update server and then when the customer buys the item i've listed and rezzes it, the script contacts his update server, notes that it's out of date (old version) and then immediately requests the correct product from his delivery server.

Works fine.  As ever, i'll take this opportunity to say that due to horrendous customer service, while I use the Hippo product, the product itself works but the customer service that I received from Hippo is among the worst that I have ever received.

I just like to share that :)

The whole concept of the marketplace is a result of rigid and narrow minded thinking. It is build on the supposition: 'one avatar is one shop'.

In the phase where they were rebuilding Xstreet to the current marketplace we have made it clear often enough to the developpers, that we need more options.

We have people who cooperate in a way that does not fit the marketplace. It must be possible for a shop to be operated by several owners, or at least the owner of the shop should be able to give permission to an assistant to acces the listings. Co-creators should be able to see their own sales reports, and so on.

We also have people who have build up several brands on one avatar. For those it is not possible to split their brands among several shops in the marketplace. There are not even tabs where you can subdivide your merchandise into categories...an option that is handy for big brands as well. In world you can organise your shop in departments, but in marketplace it all cluthers up in one shop.

Those early developpers at least heard our needs, but they were not able to program the marketplace after our needs, but more or less promised those would be future features once the basics were done.

What actually happened is that Marketplace was released full with bugs, developpers were fired, new develloper team came. Those started with the base that was layed, and focus on rebuilding for direct delivery. They have no clue about our needs anymore, because 'communicating with creators and merchants' seems to forbidden nowadays at LL.

We are stuck with a marketplace that completely ignores the social aspect of a social creative world.

Creators, who like to work in a cooperative brand, have to choose between trust and holding the brand together on the marketplace. In my brand I have to do with several co-creators. So far I have always been lucky that people trust me to be the seller for our brand. So we can keep the brand together in the marketplace and refer to each others related products. The minus though is I have to do all the work that none of us likes very much: marketplace listings in 6 languages.

Dora Gustafson wrote:

Elegant:smileysurprised:

And with no doubt the most flexible solution within the framework of the marketplace

:smileysurprised:
:)
:smileyvery-happy:

Not really.  It lets them be found in search but misses the opportunity of having "Related Items" since you cannot create a relationship to any product which is not in your own store.

Related items are at least one of the main benefits of MP over Xstreet.  Other than that, these days i'm struggling to find any others.  Oh yeah, Direct Delivery, that thing we never needed in the first place that still isn't finished 2 years later.

Lindens employees come and Linden employees go. We, the long time merchants, are the stable factor in this market, Pamela. We know the whole history and we have a lot a valuable knowlegde about how the marketplace can be improved for the use is has: serve both merchants and customers in SL. Still we have zero power or influence...

Chic Aeon wrote:

When I read your post I immediately  thought of The Looking Glass which is "owned" (I don't know any particulars) by two folks.  They solved the problem by having the same store name and then their name following. That is most likely the easiest method and seems to have been working for them for years.

Screenshot_2.png

My problem when I see that is I ask myself what is going on?  As in, is this a copycat store?

I can see what you are saying Perrie. Not so much for THIS store as a huge number of folks know the owners of The Looking Glass, one of the better known sims for many years.

BUT if you were wondering a simple bit of sleuthing would tell you that both stores are set up on the same sim and indeed in the same set of buildings. So, IF you were worrying it would be easy enough to check.

There is indeed another store UNDER these two that seems to be trying to capitalize on the name. That can happen.  It is always a buyer beware situation. I buy very little but when I do I always go to the inworld shop to see the item in real life if that is an option. If it isn't an option, I have a tendency not to purchase. That is just me :D.   

Lucas Scarborough wrote:

My wife and I both create. On the Marketplace, the store is owned by me (as I couldn't find a way for us both to own it), but in-world, it is both of ours as we both put out items.  Is there a way for her to upload her creations onto the marketplace store without me having to get them from her full perm, change the permissions, and then upload them as my own?  Wouldn't that also be in violation of some terms of use for me to take ownership of her items full perm even if just to put on the marketplace?

One way to do this is to have an avatar that does nothing but exist as a store "owner".  The creators all have the password and log on as that avatar for packaging and uploading.

There may not be a LL rule against giving things to someone full perm, but creators who buy full perm items to make their own items often have to agree to a "you may not transfer your items to another avatar full perm, not even an alt" condition.  In that case, transferring items to an alt or partner to sell could create issues.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3838 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.