DID YOU SAVE THE DAY? DR. WHO 50th

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Allow me to illuminate ya if I might! :P

http://www.whosdw.com/docwhat.html

Dr. Who was created in early 1963 by Sydney Newman and Donald Wilson. Intended as a children's show, which would combine "an exciting adventure in time and space" with educational content about science and history, it soon became popular with adults as well. When the program debuted, on Saturday, November 23, 1963, it starred William Hartnell as The Doctor, a mysterious traveler in time and space. Hartnell was known for his tough sergeant roles in films and on TV, including a long-running role in the popular series The Army Game. He'd also played the sad old man who befriended Richard Harris's football player in Lindsay Anderson's film, This Sporting Life, and it was this part which won him the role of The Doctor. As played by Hartnell, The Doctor was a crotchety old man who'd been stranded in 1963 while trying to repair his time machine, the TARDIS. Susan, his granddaughter, was attending school, and two of her teachers became curious about her extensive knowledge of some subjects and her total ignorance of others. They followed her one evening and found her "home" was a police telephone call box sitting in a junkyard, a police box which was bigger inside than out. They were further alarmed when The Doctor, fearing that they'd tell their friends about the amazing things they'd seen, decided they could not be allowed to leave, and set his TARDIS in motion. The four travelers landed on prehistoric Earth and became involved with a tribe which had lost the secret of fire. From these humble beginnings a legend was born. The second story introduced the Daleks, an alien menace which came back to haunt The Doctor throughout his lives, and whose instant popularity ensured the show's early success. The First Doctor's stories alternated between costume
dramas set in Earth's past, and science fiction stories, which usually took place on alien worlds.

William Hartnell's co-stars: Carole Ann
Ford as Susan Foreman, William Russell as Ian Chesterton, Jacqueline Hill as
Barbara Wright, Maureen O'Brien as Vicki, Peter Purves as Steven Taylor,
Adrienne Hill as Katarina, Jean Marsh as Sara Kingdom, Jackie Lane as Dodo
Chaplet, Anneke Wills as Polly, and Michael Craze as Ben Jackson

The First Doctor: A Citizen of the Universe
hartnell.jpgWhen schoolteachers Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright meet the grandfather of student Susan Foreman, they see him as a crotchety old man with secrets to hide. While they gradually learn more about The Doctor, neither he nor Susan tells them the truth of their origins, and on occasion, The Doctor actually misleads them into believing that he's human (The Keys of Marinus, The Sensorites). At this stage The Doctor seems concerned with getting home (primarily for Susan's sake, since he rarely mentions it after she leaves). The Doctor never completely loses the arrogance that he initially displays to his new companions, but as their adventures continue his attitude gradually mellows as he learns what Susan already knows, that even ordinary humans have admirable qualities. He learns to respect and admire both teachers, and they come to consider him a friend. Many of their early adventures are the result of The Doctor's desire for knowledge, and it's only later, as he is influenced by his human companions, that he begins to act for more compassionate reasons. After Susan leaves, he welcomes the orphaned Vicki warmly, and treats her as a surrogate granddaughter. When Barbara and Ian finally find a way home he's reluctant to let them leave, and attempts to hide his feelings, but though he realizes that he'll miss them, he's happy that they return safely. More companions join and leave The Doctor through the rest of this incarnation, and he treats them all with this same mixture of bluster and compassion. Two companions die during an attempted Dalek conquest, and for a time he seems reluctant to interfere further in the course of history, but events convince him that he cannot stand by when there is evil to be defeated. After this his resolve seems firm again, even when the actions he takes against the Cybermen exhaust him, and force him to regenerate for the first time.

This trite, politically correct nonsense is in no way reminiscent of the original Dr WHo, and what it was all about.   However, the british public - the largest herd of sheep in the enitire world, possibly even  bypassing the americans - ignore what really matters and do what they are told by the publicity machines of the media, and in this case the BBC state sponsored broadcaster par excellence.

Les francaise have their intellectuals and phillosophers, we have Katie Price, David Beckham, Strictly Dancing, and X factor and Dr Who; where all male consorts of the doctors followers are not as strong, brave, clever as their female partners...unless they happen to be homosexual.

Give me the real Star Trek, anyday, and Bill Shatner! :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

I had a small Doctor party for the 50th, we ate Jammie Dodgers along with Fish Fingers and Custard, then marched over to the theatre for the screening in our best outfits (I wore a bowtie and fez of course, in honor of 11 as he's leaving us all too soon). It was a blast, and the episode was spectacular! :D

Happy 50th to the show!

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

OMG - Am I going to get in trouble? When I typed out "[spelling it out ]D o c t o r Who" in the above post and try to post it, I received the forum error message "D o c t o r Who" is not allowed in this forum!

Is Linden Lab afraid of Time Lords?

OMG - Who Knew?

That's because the cognoscenti - there must be one in LL - know that you don't call him that. He's "The Doctor".

© The Judge

jujmental wrote:

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

OMG - Am I going to get in trouble? When I typed out "[spelling it out ]D o c t o r Who" in the above post and try to post it, I received the forum error message "D o c t o r Who" is not allowed in this forum!

Is Linden Lab afraid of Time Lords?

OMG - Who Knew?

That's because the cognoscenti - there must be one in LL - know that you don't call him that. He's "The Doctor".

© The Jude

I just went through this exercise on my feed and in a few SLF posts regarding Brooklyn vernacular ... some people will never get it; and some just know.  

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Was it good for you?

Have I mentioned that I don't even have a TV?

You'll remember "custard" longer, I promise you (if you watched it)

basking in the afterglow of an orgy of Dr. Who visual titillation last night, Karen muses too herself while smacking her lips...

"finally, I can think of custard again as just a dessert !"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.