Why Singularity Viewer is 12% faster

Maxim Ouachita

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

arton Rotaru wrote:

12% faster than what? No offense, but that video looks pretty much like a Stop Motion movie still.

FPS Tests in same conditions with different viewers ended in a
minimum 12% performance jump
with Singularity which is the reason for smooth videos. Stop motion effects can be caused by old computer technique that results in a slow playback.

arton Rotaru wrote:

LOL

Well honestly, judging on the distance where even larger objects like the caravans are switching to lower LODs, your settings on singularity may be different than with the other viewers in your tests.

But don't you know, 99% of Doctors surveyed preferred......................

Maxim Ouachita wrote:

SodaGnome wrote:

I filmed this with second life's viewer. Seems pretty good.

"Seems pretty good"

Now imagine how much faster it would be with Singularity Viewer

12% ???

Faster?  What in that video needs to be faster?

Both your video and his are very nice.

But his actually has better resolution.  Faces have less pixelation, etc, etc.  And his is no more jerky (as in jumpy) than yours. 

Don't make the mistake of mixing quantity with quality.

The subject of which is the Best Viewer has been debated to death on this Forum.  The answer to that is the Best Viewer is the one that runs best on your computer.  Everyone's experience varies.  Period.

The only true statement that you could make is that from your tests you get the best performance from Singularity.  You can not conclude that would be true for anyone or everyone else.

The Singularity viewer may well "be faster" simply because it has fewer bells and whistles. I have a RL friend who races and EVERYONE ON THEIR TEAM uses Singularity because "it is faster". I don't because it is missing way too many things I feel that I NEED!

But for folks with a slower machine, 12% (yes we all know this can change from minute to minute and getting a DOCUMENTED result would be very very hard) may be what they need in order to make machinima.

If you don't have the RAM and the fancy video card, you need to do what you can.

Enjoying the process is key.

Dora Gustafson wrote:

That's a beautiful video, thank you:)

The question remains unanswered: why is it faster? Compared to what is it faster? How does the tests show it?

:smileysurprised:
:)
:smileyvery-happy:

And the light shineth in darkness [...]

Thank you and arton Rotaru, Perrie Juran, Soda Gnome & Chic Aoen for replying.

Why Singularity Viewer is 12% faster? In which circumstances? There are many unanswered questions.

In fact one of the reasons of this posting is to show what you can make possible with worse or the most worst hardware composition :matte-motes-nerdy: you can use for Second Life; and so people would usually not think about starting with machinima videos. I want to show there is a possibility. The first step should be, to start analyzing your hardware.

Hardware we used for this test:

A Laptop with Intel Pentium T3400 / 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Intel GMA X3100 Graphics

Software we used for the test:

Windows 7, Fraps, Firestorm Viewer, Singularity Viewer

Imagine the viewer setup in these circumstances: low, very low, but in fact for each the same graphics and network settings.

So what we discovered is a 12% advantage in Singularity Viewer against Firestorm Viewer in "Phoenix Mode" (Firestorm Surface even a little bit slower).

So what we can say is, everyone who is interested in producing machinima videos, should try the different Viewer's on the market, try a setup that fits to the working conditions & start with your videos :catwink:

This is for sure not "THE TRUTH" but maybe it can help you and give on one or other less or more hope, seeing that all is possible even in bad conditions.

Maxim Ouachita wrote:

So what we discovered is a 12% ad
vantage in S
ingularity Viewer
against Firestorm Viewer in "Phoenix Mode"
(F
irestorm Surface even a little bit slower).

Still, what does it mean? What do you measure?

I don't think that you walk and drive faster.

Is the bit rate higher?

Do you teleport faster?

Do you rez faster?

Do you download faster?

How do you measure 'advantage'?

When you tell me what you are measuring also tell me how you do it and tell me the test results please

Having said that I do sympathize

I appreciate very much the purpose of your effort, sharing knowledge about good ways to do things

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

Maxim Ouachita wrote:

S
oftware we used for th
e test:

Windows 7
, Fraps, Firestorm V
iewer, Singularity Viewe
r

Imagine
t
he
v
iewer setup
in these circumstances:
l
ow, very low, but in fact
for each
the same graphics and network settings.

vantage in S
ingularity Viewer
(F

And that's the question, are the settings really the same? I do know that the default RenderVolumeLODFactor on Firestorm is set higher than the default value of that setting in the official viewer. Where it is 1.125 on the LL viewer, it's 2.0 on Firestorm. Where it's 2.0 on the official viewer, it's 3.0 on Firestorm. That value changes with the graphics quality slider.  Also, it changes that value with the Mesh Detail: Objects: Slider. And it can be set in the Debug Settings, to any value you prefer.

I don't know which values Singularity sets by default, but like I said, from your video, that number looks like it's set very low. On poor hardware, like in your test, the RenderVolumeLODFactor may have a significant impact on your framerate.

Maxim Ouachita wrote:

<SNIP>

In fact one of the reasons of this posting is to show what you can make possible with worse or the most worst hardware composition :matte-motes-nerdy: you can use for Second Life
; and so
people would usually not think about
star
ting with machinima videos
. I want to show there is
a
possibility

</SNIP>

This is the only factual statement in your post.  You have demonstrated that it MAY be possible for people who have trouble with other Viewers to do Machinima with Singularity.

Your demonstration however IS NOT proof that any one else will get you results.  There may be others who have or who will, but it is still not PROOF.

As to the rest of what you said that I clipped out there is a good phrase to describe it, nothing more than a lot of derp.

Maxim Ouachita wrote:

Dora Gustafson wrote:

That's a beautiful video, thank you:)

The question remains unanswered: why is it faster? Compared to what is it faster? How does the tests show it?

:smileysurprised:
:)
:smileyvery-happy:

And the light shineth in darkness [...]

Thank you and
a
rton
R
otaru,
Perr
ie
Juran, Soda Gnome & Chic Aoen
for replying.

Why Singularity Viewer is 12% faster? In which circumstances? There are many unanswered questions.

In fact one of the reasons of this posting is to show what you can make possible with worse or the most worst hardware composition :matte-motes-nerdy: you can use for Second Life
; and so
people would usually not think about
star
ting with machinima videos
. I want to show there is
a
possibility
The first step should be, to start
analyzing your hardware.

Hardware we used for this
test:

A Laptop w
ith Intel Pentium T3400 / 2.16 GHz
2 GB R
AM,
Intel GMA X3100 Graphics

S
oftware we used for th
e test:

Windows 7
, Fraps, Firestorm V
iewer, Singularity Viewe
r

Imagine
t
he
v
iewer setup
in these circumstances:
l
ow, very low, but in fact
for each
the same graphics and network settings.

vantage in S
ingularity Viewer
(F

So what we can say is, everyone who is interested in producing machinima videos,
should try the different Viewer's on the market
try a setup that fits to the working conditions
& start with
your
videos :catwink:

This is
for sure not "THE TRUTH"
but maybe it can help you and
give on one or other less or more hope,
seeing that all is possible even i
n bad conditions.

But, you only tested against one viewer... The SL official viewer may be faster than Singularity. You can't say it's not because you DIDN'T TEST IT!!! All you have proven is that on your Laptop Singularity is a bit faster than Firestorm.. Which Firestorm BTW? The beta release, the alpha 64 bit release or the older one? Personally I use a desktop PC, alpha and beta versions of Firestorm on ultra and have Fps of 40+ in busy sims AND all of the bells and whistles that Singularity doesn't have. What is your point?

• 1 month later...

The fact that it is moving slower generally entails recording at a higher frame rate to make it look smoother. This doesn't exactly look smooth though maybe a comparison video would be in order from a standard viewer recording the same or a similar thing?

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.