The Bogeyman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3907 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A bogeyman (also spelled bogieman, or boogeyman) is a mythical creature in many cultures used by adults to frighten children into compliant behaviour. The monster has no specific appearance, and conceptions about it can vary drastically from household to household within the same community; in many cases, he has no set appearance in the mind of an adult or child, but is simply a non-specific embodiment of terror. (wiki)

Below is a list of 'bogeyman' that you may know from your own cultural experiences:

Japan = Namahage

Russia = Babayka

Spain = El Orgo

Quebec = Bonhomme Sept-Heures

New Jersey = The Jersey Devil

Oregon = The Green Fog

Serbia = Bauk

Second Life = Pep

Nepal = Hau-guji

Iran = Lulu

Did I miss any?

ETA, but of course... In Welsh, the bogeyman is called a mwduratyr

No! Not the mwduratyr!

The only other one I can think of is the Haitian tonton macoute ("Uncle Knapsack") who was said to take away bad children in his bag. His reputation was used by the Papa Doc regime as the name of their secret police.

The Australian bunyip is equally as varied in description as the bogeyman, but I don't think it has a specific reputation as threatening to kids. I'm think it's likely that Aboriginal children have been told to behave or the bunyip would get them, all the same.

Legend has it that the mwduratyr can be repelled by chanting ib-tul! ib-tul! and making offerings of popcorn.

Kelli May wrote:

The only other one I can think of is the Haitian tonton macoute ("Uncle Knapsack") who was said to take away bad children in his bag. His reputation was used by the Papa Doc regime as the name of their secret police.

When I was pre-school growing up in Huston, Tx there was a homeless man who supposedly lived under one of the bridges.  He carried a sack when he rummaged through the garbage cans at the garage apartment complex where we lived and the nearby trailer park.  Local mothers threatened their kids with the "sack man".

In Second Life, would "Pep" really qualify?

By no means an "embodiment of terror" and not exactly "mythical". I can see how some children could be scared by this bogeyman, most adults will see the bogeyman is a load of nonsense.

I do like the comparison. The bogeyman is a character with no development at all and he's a single trick creature.

ETA Maybe he will reply by to prove it?

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

ETA Maybe he will reply by to prove it?

I can guarantee you one thing, Pep will not respond here.

Like I wrote in the OP, the bogeyman varies from household to household...

If you don't think Pep qualifies, then I suggest you just ask Rhonda, Phil, Madelaine (either of the two) and few others.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Ohhnoes wrote:

The Recreational Area of the Nursing Home = Phil

I stopped going round the nursing homes and scaring the people in them a long time ago. These days I just scare forum trolls, and it's nice to see I have that effect
:)

ya we saw why you stopped messing with old people like you did..

1 shotted!!

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

In today's society, it wouldn't at all surprise me that there are some people who honestly believe that a person can be mocked to death.

...Dres

Could that be the person trying to do so?

Then Pep was ahead of his time, unless a couple of years ago (when maybe a small fraction of his posts could be interpreted as funny) is "today's society" as well.

Could a bogeyman mock himself to death?

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Ohhnoes wrote:

The Recreational Area of the Nursing Home = Phil

I stopped going round the nursing homes and scaring the people in them a long time ago. These days I just scare forum trolls, and it's nice to see I have that effect
:)

ya we saw why you stopped messing with old people like you did..

1 shotted!!

Yep. Those old people really can be dangerous - too dangerous for me, anyway. It's much safer scaring forum trolls :)

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

In today's society, it wouldn't at all surprise me that there are some people who honestly believe that a person can be mocked to death.

...Dres

Could that be the person trying to do so?

Then Pep was ahead of his time, unless a couple of years ago (when
maybe
a
small
fraction of his posts
could
be interpreted as funny) is "today's society" as well.

Could a bogeyman mock himself to death?

I must be missing your point... Pep hasn't posted here in a very long time.

...Dres

The word could also be linked to many similar words in other European languages: bogle (Scots), boeman (Dutch), busemann (Norwegian), bøhmand (Danish), bòcan, púca, pooka or pookha (Irish), pwca, bwga or bwgan (Welsh), puki (Old Norse), pixie or piskie (Cornish), puck (English), lidérc or mumus (Hungarian), bogu (Slavonic), buka (Russian, бука), bauk (Serbian), baubas (Lithuanian), baubau (Romanian), babau (Italian), bida (Polish), papão or sarronco (Portuguese), torbalan (Bulgarian), Μπαμπούλας (Greek).[1]

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Scary, ain't it!  

The legacy continues...

In a child's tale kind of way....

But that's the entire point!  My purpose for writing the OP; tales we tell our children. 

I, as a person of reason, do not believe in the bogeyman, or the devil; nor his upstairs nemesis.  However, I can only imagine (my OP, my imagination) some of the forum posters I have read over the past several years telling stories of "Pep" just to scare their kiddies into compliance. 

PS  I have references, too. 

As I said, the comparison has some things going for it, Pep just isn't "terrifying" or "mythical" enough to be considered a bogeyman. I don't think any parents will scare their kids with tales about Pep. He's destined to be forgotten, no matter how hard he tries to stay in the spotlights. Hell, even Dres didn't notice him, while he's still (s)trolling the forums as we speak.

Storm Clarence wrote:

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

...Dres

Maybe "Pep" hasn't,
but his identical twins certainly have.

Scary, ain't it!  

The legacy continues... 

Pep and his alts scare you? A childlike person scaring grownups? Wow! Just wow! I think you watch too many movies ;)

ETA: "childlike" because trolling is a childish activity.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

...Dres

Maybe "Pep" hasn't,
but his identical twins certainly have.

Scary, ain't it!  

The legacy continues... 

Pep and his alts scare you? A childlike person scaring grownups? Wow! Just wow!
I think you watch too many movies
;)

No, Phil. I have been reading too much of 'you' lately.  And I am laughing.

Like I wrote, I don't believe in bogeymen; any of them including the "Pep" monster. But I like that Pep is the focus of what some are reading.  I am laughing.

However, Phil, your credibility is at the lowest right now, and over the past 4 days I have read 'fear' in your words.  I am still reading that fear.  And I am still laughing.

Let's talk about Lulu... your opinion? 

Heh! You do have a strange way of seeing things, Storm. And, if my credibility is at a low ebb in your eyes, then I'm very proud :) The last thing I want is to be thought highly of by trolls and supporters of trolls.

However, you did cite pep as being the SL bogeyman, and you did state that his continued presence, in the guise of at least two other accounts, is scary. It's true that trolling is a childish activity, and he is a troll, so it sounds to me like you are scared of childish behaviour. I can only go by what you wrote, Storm. If you now say that it's untrue, I'll accept that.

ETA: In all honesty, I know he doesn't scare you because I know that you are his friend and that you support his trolling - which speaks badly of you, of course. As pep himself put it, back in the RA discussions of the 'cancer' thing, "The friend of my enemy is my enemy". I don't agree with him, though. I think he's wrong. It should be, "The supporter of my enemy is my enemy". Trolls are enemies of forums, and anyone reading this can draw their own conclusions.

ETA (again): For the record, the recent posts between pep and myself did have an effect on me. Not the effect that you wish was true though. Before it, I almost always skipped by his posts without reading them, simply because they rarely contained anything of any value to the discussions. I've now changed. It's now my intention to read his posts when I come across them and, if they contain insults or barbs (any trolling), I'll report them, and I hope others will do the same. I've no idea if it will do any good by way of getting him out of the place, as many forum users want, or by causing him to stop trolling, but I do know that doing nothing allows him to continue almost unabated, and that's always been bad for the forum as a whole.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3907 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.