One prim rental system?

Jo Yardley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3919 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been using the Hippo rental system for over 4 years now and I am thinking about replacing it.

For every house in our sim Hippo needs a rental box, that is over 100 prims with scripts scattered over our sim, and not light scripts either.

I like all the other options Hippo has but so many laggy scripts in one region is something I'd rather avoid.

So I was wondering if there is a rental system out there with plenty of functionalities but it only uses 1 prim.

One single prim is rezzed in the sim and tenants go there to pay their rent.

I've seen one once so I know it is possible.

Jo Yardley wrote:

One single prim is rezzed in the sim and tenants go there to pay their rent.

I've seen one once so I know it is possible.

I've seen those too but only in use by larger land companies that have outside websites.  The one's that I have used to pay tier with connect you to a payment system on their web site.  You don't have to open a web page but can go to their web site anytime to see your payment history and when your next rent payment is due.  Basically they are custom made.  I've never seen a system like that in SL sold at retail.

Jo, I don't normally do custom work for other people but your sim is something special.  If you can't find what you need please IM/PM me and I'll script this for you.  Web-side development in PHP is not a problem if you have a host already and there are several free services if you don't.

*Wink* no charge for friends.

There's always the zero-prim approach of visiting your tenants around the time they need to pay their next installment and talking with them.

It's not as convenient if you have a lot of tenants of course, and requires you to actually do your bookkeeping, but it works.

Jo Yardley wrote:

I love that idea, especially as the avatar that keeps all the money looks like a proper evil land lord.

But I fear it just wouldn't be practical.

We have over 100 tenants in one region.

Actually, it is quite practical. I did it on my own with over 60 tenants, and you used the word "we" so I assume there is more than one of you. Even so, it's much better to it in the way you wrote about, but doing it by hand isn't a bad method.

That's the thing: If he's a bot, he don't need no steekin' Pathfinding.

Or, one could turn him into a standalone mesh object and have him move around the sim by Pathfinding -- except that Mesh is singularly crippled compared to every other object type for any kind of prim animation, so that's perhaps the lamest possible technology for making NPVs.

Qie Niangao wrote:

That's the thing: If he's a bot, he don't need no steekin' Pathfinding.

Or, one could turn him into a standalone mesh object and have him move around the sim by Pathfinding -- except that Mesh is singularly crippled compared to every other object type for any kind of prim animation, so that's perhaps the lamest possible technology for making NPVs.

Gee, and I thought I had come across a redeeming use for Pathfinding.  :(

Perrie Juran wrote:

Profaitchikenz Haiku wrote:

You could turn him into a bot and script him to go door to door...

An actual practical use for Pathfinding!

I'm in awe.

Hmmmm......can you set a bot up to follow a 'path?'

you can have a pathfinding object follow a set of coordinates, sure.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3919 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.