What Would It Take To DJ in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Oddly enough, I was about to suggest not talking much over the songs, because I found anoying when a friend of mine did it, so it surprised me that a club owner would require it. For me, I prefer to mostly listen to the music rather have the music as a backdrop for the DJ.

I state the same thing and I know the clubs he means. Ambrosia most probable oen of there's. Sadly I tried them out and left. I foudn it unprofessional, and the over talking making things up to fill in voice time was ridiculous and annoying. I mix live. I mix nonstop, I have real life experience to offer and while i great people I do so spanned out in a lum sum and then mix, make needed announcements. Voice is a requirement to be a good DJ, there is no doubt in that. Yet over doing it non stop is distracting and not entertainment. IF you are interrupting every song to speak, you are not mixing or entertaining. 

I have t cue songs, tkae reuests, fit them in a proper mix, prep prizes. What I did do is create a scripting that links my Jar request system to my real DJ equipment, so it will actually pre search for the various versions of a song to match my current BPM and auto highlight so i can fast drop into my on the fly list. that saves some time. But over speaking is not always time warranted with so much going on at once behind the scenes. 

5 hours ago, Robsguy said:

I state the same thing and I know the clubs he means. Ambrosia most probable oen of there's. Sadly I tried them out and left. I foudn it unprofessional, and the over talking making things up to fill in voice time was ridiculous and annoying. I mix live. I mix nonstop, I have real life experience to offer and while i great people I do so spanned out in a lum sum and then mix, make needed announcements. Voice is a requirement to be a good DJ, there is no doubt in that. Yet over doing it non stop is distracting and not entertainment. IF you are interrupting every song to speak, you are not mixing or entertaining. 

I have t cue songs, tkae reuests, fit them in a proper mix, prep prizes. What I did do is create a scripting that links my Jar request system to my real DJ equipment, so it will actually pre search for the various versions of a song to match my current BPM and auto highlight so i can fast drop into my on the fly list. that saves some time. But over speaking is not always time warranted with so much going on at once behind the scenes. 

I realize that talking over tracks isn't everyone's cuppa tea which is why it's so awesome that SL has such a variety of clubs.  There is literally something for everyone.  If I go to a club and dislike what I hear, I leave.  If I like it, I may remain awhile.  There is no right way of doing things.  Yes, the club is Ambrosia and it has been in SL since 2006. That is a record few clubs have.  I wish all the DJ-aspirants good luck!

There is definitely a difference between being a radio DJ (where you talk more), a Club DJ (where you mix more) and being an SL Event DJ where you have a host handling the people and most of your job is having an interesting basic playlist, fielding requests and helping draw guests to the venue.

All three roles have their own subtlety that has to be mastered.

Edited by AmandaKeen

• 1 year later...
On 8/10/2013 at 5:54 PM, Mitchell Indigo said:

Hello everyone:

I'm looking into possibly learning how to DJ in Second Life.  For those of you who are DJ's, I would like to know what all it takes to be a DJ.  You can IM me in world or reply to this thread with information.

Thank You

Mitchell Indigo

Chutzpah.

1 hour ago, CoffeeDujour said:

To be fair it comes up fairly often and the answers haven't really changed .. I was talking to someone in world about mixxx the other day.

Other half was a professional radio DJ in his younger days. He DJs in SL. 

Legally, not much has changed over the years. Otherwise... a lot has. I don't care what everyone else says, DJs are not MCs. For those who don't know or remember what an MC is (Master/Mistress of Ceremonies), they are the official host of a ceremony, staged event or similar performance.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

On 5/3/2019 at 2:38 AM, Selene Gregoire said:

Other half was a professional radio DJ in his younger days. He DJs in SL. 

Legally, not much has changed over the years. Otherwise... a lot has. I don't care what everyone else says, DJs are not MCs. For those who don't know or remember what an MC is (Master/Mistress of Ceremonies), they are the official host of a ceremony, staged event or similar performance.

Much confusion over the above point in SL. A clear indicator the individual has never participated in either role in real life. A "DJ" a couple of hosts and the venue itself all want tips making it touch and go as to perceived value for the amount of lindens "required" to be spent. Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.