Why do people insist on doing this??? (a rant)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok..so I was going through my old forum posts to clean them up a bit...get rid of some of the older ones that have tons of unread messages...when I came across this...

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Building-and-Texturing-Forum/Newbie-join-here/m-p/2111157#U2111157

If you look, the last post (from me) was done in December. Someone decided to respond to it TODAY!!

WHY?

I realize most of the times, they're newbies who don't know any better, but wouldn't they figure that the thread is long since dead? And how do they even FIND these things?? I have to go through 20 + pages just to get to it!! I just don't understand..

(Feel free to wait 6-8 months before responding...thank you....:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:)

A sensible answer from me for a change.

It's probably a spambot.

It has been programmed to look for forum threads with "newbie" or similar in the title.

Programmed badly, because it does not take thread date into account.

Then it has been programmed to post vacuous text that is sufficiently anodyne that it can be used for just about any forum.

If it receives any sort of response it will level up and probably post an irrelevant lolcat.

Further responses will invoke its "commercial" mode and it will praise the virtues of a certain brand of brake fluid.

Suggesting that it presents less of a health risk to drink than vodka.

Because it is easier to stop.

Or it may be a clueless newbie.

*That* probably WAS a bot, as most have said.  However, honestly, you can't win for losing here.  If I am a true newbie, and start a thread asking a question, and receive 10 responses yelling at me " THERE ARE ALREADY A ZILLION THREADS ANSWERING THAT!!! WHY WOULD YOU BE SO IGNORANT AS TO START A NEW ONE, STUPID?"   Well, yeah, I might think maybe I should do a search for an already existing thread before asking something that God Forbid has already been asked and answered.  *shrug*  Could be real or memorex. 

Treasure Ballinger wrote:

*That* probably WAS a bot, as most have said.  However, honestly, you can't win for losing here.  If I am a true newbie, and start a thread asking a question, and receive 10 responses yelling at me " THERE ARE ALREADY A ZILLION THREADS ANSWERING THAT!!! WHY WOULD YOU BE SO IGNORANT AS TO START A NEW ONE, STUPID?"   Well, yeah, I might think maybe I should do a search for an already existing thread before asking something that God Forbid has already been asked and answered.  *shrug*  Could be real or memorex. 

No kidding and what a way to welcome someone to the forums by making them feel stupid.

The thing is not about not knowing something, its not general hate against newbies, that is coming to life in such cases. First: Its the necropost itself, because people don't like to be fooled (and thats what it basically, even if not intendet, happening) also it often hits threads with more than one page, which requires a bit reading.

The next thing is, everytime its NOT an aditional question to a certian topic but the exact same question the necromanced thread is about or a completely different question, which has no connection to the thread it got posted in. Usually the reply is also short like "I have that too." or something similar.

The first case annoys people because that problem was already solved. And the second one because its confusing. None of this has to do with a general unfriendly attitude towards newbies.

If I am a true newbie, and start a thread asking a question, and receive 10 responses yelling at me " THERE ARE ALREADY A ZILLION THREADS ANSWERING THAT!!! WHY WOULD YOU BE SO IGNORANT AS TO START A NEW ONE, STUPID?"   Well, yeah, I might think maybe I should do a search for an already existing thread before asking something that God Forbid has already been asked and answered.  *shrug*  Could be real or memorex. 

OMG you people...

Seriously...

THERE ARE ALREADY THREADS ASKING WHY PEOPLE POST IN OLD THREADS !!!!  :smileymad:

:P

As has already been said, it's a programme that automatically posts to threads and not a person at the keyboard. The text shows that very clearly.

Such posts are all about getting links to other sites in search engine databases, and there are various ways of doing it. The most obvious is what we are now seeing daily - bulk. The programme operator doesn't expect forum users to actually click on the links. Instead, they want the links in place when search engine spiders come calling. Nobody in their right mind would expect forum users to click on links when they've aggravated them with a multiple threads.

Another way is bound to be generally more successful, because the links will often remain and not be deleted like the bulk posts are. The idea is to make a post that is part of an existing thread. Even though the text is irrelevant to the thread, it has a good chance of not being deleted, especially because it doesn't contain any links and is not obvious spam. Some time later, the programme logs the 'user' in again and edits the post so that it now contains spam links, but nobody notices the change and the post is not removed. Then search engine spiders index the link, which helps the page at the other end of the link enormously in the rankings.

Tex's example may well be that second type of spam. Or it could, of course, be someone who is writing a programme, and using this and other forums to test it as s/he goes along, but there is very good chance that the post will be edited to contain a link in the not too distant future.

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.