Am I really the only person that does not like mesh?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3943 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have no clue what you talking about, we talking about mesh, were scripting come in. I script, but this a different topic.

And pasting bits from two different comments is not cool.'hard' as 'elitist' The two words have two different meanings and were in two different paragraphs

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Czari I am not at all above purchasing mesh models and coloring them -- IF they are sold full perm and licensed for resale, as in SL. I often use these things as promos or gifts. Like this week's gift is a birdcage I bought -- I added a singing bird (which I also bought full perm), a bird feeder with birdseed, and a stand. 

What this store an others are doing is entirely different. They are procuring models from external 3D sites which specifically prohibit ANY kind of resale. 

I thought about that after I posted, BUT you still have taken the time to learn how to make sculpts and meshes while I know there are a lot of merchants out there that ONLY buy mesh and color them, thus the dozens upon dozens of look-alike products.  What I was trying to get at is you are the type of creator that "creates" - while you may use purchased mesh models, that is not the entirety of your line...by a long stretch.

I have to disagree with you there. Texturing mesh clothing properly is not easy. I have yet to see mesh that is just "colored" instead of full texturing. I have tried several times to use 3D mesh programs, can't wrap my head around it. However i can work wonders with GIMP. I hope mesh template creators never stop. Just like people have bought and used System layer templates, there are now mesh ones. no real difference.

I did as you said, the floor, ceiling and roundels are one structure, setting the curved hull reduced the prim count by 127, I originally had the roundels as mesh by was not happy at the lack of depth, I my try again and see how it goes, It may be the way I up loaded it. I built this for someone but they left SL.But i still see no reason to have done this in mesh at all.ConsolTyp50.jpg

steph Arnott wrote:

Have no clue what you talking about, we talking about mesh, were scripting come in. I script, but this a different topic.

And pasting bits from two different comments is not cool.'hard' as 'elitist' The two words have two different meanings and were in two different paragraphs

Have no clue what you're talking about either then.  You were saying mesh was elitist then I thought you said that was because it was hard.  My post was saying that what's hard for one person is not necessarily hard for another so I didn't take that as a measure of elitism.

Anyway, allowances for the fact that I'm only able to write in English, I think we've got our wires crossed.  One way or another I've said all I feel the need to on this: mesh is great, it's a pity so many people do it badly, I wish LL would let me do it at all.

I mean elitist in that the majority of mesh is done either by professional using work computers and software or people learning for a career in the industry with not much interest in SL and a small minority banging there heads trying to learn to do mesh properly. Hard i meant as in trying to even get say Blender to even make a box and wrap a uv with nothing but a manual written for someone that already know how to do it.

steph Arnott wrote:

I did as you said, the floor, ceiling and roundels are one structure, setting the curved hull reduced the prim count by 127, I originally had the roundels as mesh by was not happy at the lack of depth, I my try again and see how it goes, It may be the way I up loaded it. I built this for someone but they left SL.But i still see no reason to have done this in mesh at all.

As long as you don't get 'dropped through the floor or a wall' convex hull can be very efficient. Mesh is only efficient at a small scale (once you move over to mesh buildings, you are best served shrinking your avatar "to scale" as your furniture, when shrunk to match, will often shave off nearly half of its prim cost).

For some things, mesh just looks so much more amazing. LAQ Decor is an example of this, among several others. Most of my SL home furnishings have become mesh over the last two years.

- But the actual building, made by me, is prims set to convex hull to get that discount.

Oh and yeah on African avatar design. Mostly in skins though - skins that start as another ethnicity and then get 'color adjusted', or darkened with a tattoo layer - don't end up looking African or otherwise right. But as for my avatar's shape, that's just what I dialed in for facially and not meant to be a specific nationality. SHe has a bit of RL me in there, but not much.

steph Arnott wrote:

Hard i meant as in trying to even get say Blender to even make a box and wrap a uv with nothing but a manual written for someone that already know how to do it.

There you go. Just watch. Then watch again and do it yourself accordingly.

Blender: Introduction to UV Unwrapping

By the way, in the net there are tons of excellent Blender tutorial videos. For beginners as well as for advanced users. Nothing "elitist", but serious attempts to show others how stuff is made.

:smileyhappy:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

What we need, is a button in marketplace to AR this stuff...

Yes! I have been saying it for a long time now.

Until then why should anyone struggle to learn when the end result can be ripped off? When the pay is that much below what they can get by selling the same thing outside SL to begin with? (The irony being of course that someone might then rip it from that site and sell it on the marketplace...which has no report button.)

My avatar has small shoulders/bust, wide hips, and a moderate derriere so mesh clothing tends to not fit the look I'm going for. I like mesh overall, just not really for clothes..for my avatar at this point. But shoes and hair are fine. My house and many of it's contents are mesh. I see mostly mesh clothes at the fairs I go to.  It's a bummer when the item is something that could have been system like skinny jeans. I tend to wear a lot of system pants. I definately think mesh is a good solution for skirts. Like if the skirt is medium/short and form fitting. I recently bought a long gypsy style skirt made with flexy prims (I think that's the term?). I couldn't picture that type of skirt being made out of mesh and being as successful (but I'm no expert). I guess no way is perfect all the time. Usually I'll just try out an item I'm really drawn to, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3943 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.