Texture Memory Problem + SSA / SSB

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3947 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thank you to all who answered on my previous thread regarding this problem.

I know we don't have long to wait now, but i'm wondering whether Server Side Baking will lessen the texture memory problems that Perry, myself and several others have experienced.

I sincerely hope so.  My computer is maxed out on memory and i can't add anymore (or so i'm informed).  Up until a couple of months ago i wasn't aware of ANY memory problems but now i can't stay in a packed sim for more than 5 minutes. 

It's really annoying.  I don't want to visit half-empty clubs, i want to visit Ambrosia, dammit!

This is only my theory, but I think much of the problems our computers are encountering right now is that any current viewer we are using, is working off both SSB and Client side baking. Its double work for the computer. I have personally noted the fading texture problems as well as my computer heating up incredibly more so than before all this started. Am very much hoping once the viewers go to one type of baking, our computers will get a break from being so overtaxed.

I have crashed, again..*sighs.. But I did notice about 10 seconds before I did, a message in soft grey, on the bottom right of my screen saying "insufficient memory, discarding textures", then I crashed. Maybe someone knows more about that.

kinda Fallen wrote:

This is only my theory, but I think much of the problems our computers are encountering right now is that any current viewer we are using, is working off both SSB and Client side baking.

It's not just the viewers that have both, it's the servers on LL's side of things. The server updates for the last several months have likely been including bits of code to make it possible to do the switchover. I'd highly suspect that once the grid all goes SSA things will improve noticably. I'm guessing the code supporting client side baking will eventually be removed from the LL viewer entirely. Unfortunately, any TPV's that also want to support Open Sim have to be able to do both for now or release two versions as Firestorm does. I hope they remove the client side code eventually.  Having unused code just makes the client take more memory to load as well as being the source for potential bugs.

Really? If that is the case...(and you seem remarkably well informed)....they is only one group to blame, isn't there?  LL

The SSA/SSB seems dreadful, from my experience logging in a little while ago.   Much, much worse than when it was client side.

Sadly, the same old story of LL fixing something that wasn't broke, and making a dog's ear of it in the process.

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

The SSA/SSB seems dreadful, from my experience logging in a little while ago.   Much, much worse than when it was client side.

Sadly, the same old story of LL fixing something that wasn't broke, and making a dog's ear of it in the process.

Hmm... After the server rolls where done I visited many LeTigre regions and did not experience any worse performance than before the server rolls. My experience was that SSA works well.

(By the way, did you try things in LeTigre regions? You are aware that the SSA was released only on LeTigre regions, not anywhere else? If you saw that "much, much worse" thing somewhere else than in LeTigre regions then it has nothing to do with SSA release on LeTigre regions.)

Client side avatar baking had it's well known problems.

Therefore the SSA -  to replace something which indeed was broke.

I hope so Squashy, I can barely frame a picture in SL,but I did show this thread to a few sim owners and tech savvy friends of mine and everyone concurs that the above makes a lot of sense. I do know the roll out dates LL published yesterday and well it might take a while before things settle down again, bit like surgery I suppose, don't want to kill the patient while fixing the problem.

The new server side baking as made my sl experience..ummm choppy.  I cant look around me now without the viewer locking up and freezing before rezzing what i just turned to see.  This is horrible  and seeing i rp in a combat sim is making life hell.  never had this choppy lock up when turning before the change.  Also textures in sims takes forever to load now..so for me its been a step backward :(.

Litella wrote:

The new server side baking as made my sl experience..ummm choppy.  I cant look around me now without the viewer locking up and freezing before rezzing what i just turned to see.  This is horrible  and seeing i rp in a combat sim is making life hell.  never had this choppy lock up when turning before the change.  Also textures in sims takes forever to load now..so for me its been a step backward
:(

Did you experience this in LeTigre regions? SSA is enabled in LeTigre regions only, nowhere else.

SSA handles only avatar textures - and it seems to do pretty good job on that.

SSA has nothing to do with other textures (on objects, ground, water, sky, clouds...).

No I havent tried in those regions, the sim i rp in isnt that region.  I used to rezz and with in seconds the sim would rezz, today it took almost 10 mins before everything had rezzed.  Also took a very long time for my clothing to rezz.  Another thing i have noticed is some prims even though rezzed will be invisable till you right click them...hair boots on Avs..or stair ways etc in sims.  It may be server load im not sure, just its the slowest its ever been :(.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3947 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.