Prim or Mesh eyes - what are the advantages over built in eyes?

Pussycat Catnap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3946 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I see prim and mesh eyes for sale now and then, and I think I might even have a demo or two somewhere.

But what are the advantages of using them?

Is it just having a larger texture map for more detail, or is there also an animation benefit (even if unscripted), or something else?

My alt has mesh eyes, because I wasn't looking for plain red eyes, but wanted them to glow a bit. My main account also got mesh eyes, I think they are pretty and detailed but I didn't picked them because they were mesh this time.

Texture detail, ability to move them & resize them, to have one eye of each colour (or, for that matter, different in many other ways), glow & fullbright effects, dynamic appearance (like dilating pupils), on-the-spot HUD-based tinting/retexturing, adjustable reflections, particle-based glints or sparkles or whatever... the possibilities are endless, though most mesh/sculpt eye creators only use a few of them.

I think the only advantages are tehy can have a shine,glow and be animated also you can wear two diffrent color eyes at once. Although the fate onces are nice because you can color them yourself using there hud and come with TONS and TONS of textures which mean TONS of options. But if your only going to wear one color all the time and don't need two diffrent colors, the ability to change on a whim while still wearing them, shine, glow, or animations then there pointless.

As already mentioned prim eyes can have larger texture than system eyes giving more detail. (Would they be called "lagtastic eyes" perhaps?) :smileysurprised: :smileytongue:

Other advantage with prim and mesh eyes is that materials can be applied to them, which is not possible with system eyes. With specularity it should be possible to create dynamic shine (i.e. dynamic light reflection) from the eyes. That would look great, just like in real eyes, when the eye moves the shine does not move with the eye. The shine's location would change dynamically depending on the light's position - and observer's position.

In system eyes the shine has to be baked onto the texture, thus when the eye moves the shine moves with it. That's not the way how light reflects from the real eye.

So to see realistic light reflection from the eyes, I'm eagerly waiting when somebody makes prim or mesh eyes with materials. That would be interesting.

Thank you for the replies.

An alt got some new eyes the other day (been away from SL mostly for months, but on a few alts checking my land mostly when on, and bought eyes when I noticed the alt I logged into had 'library eyes') and they came as both texture standard eyes and a prim set - which got me wondering why I might want to use the prims. When I put them on her face seem to have less of that 'zombie stare' many SL avatars end up having - and I wasn't sure if that was me trying to 'justify' wearing them or if something was actualy going on. They seem to move and follow my mouse more... but they have no scripts in them...

So it might just be that the more detailed texture is making them 'pop' more for me.

This now has me thinking of shopping trips.

Prim or mesh eyes are attached to the eyballs and therefore don't need any script to move. They move in the same way than the avatar eyes.

You don't need an alpha except the size doesn't match or your face doesnt' match :) or you are not able to do the very fine adjustments for a perfect fit.

Better textures? Nonsense. If you look at an avatar - what do you think how many pixels are spend on an eye? 10x10? 20x20? even if you zoom in on someones face you will barely go over 100x100 for a single eye on your screen - ok more on your mega 30" monitor :) No need to waste everyones texture memory by using 1024 textures though or in case of mesh its even possible to use multiple 1024 textures. ( I hope there is no wannabe creator that dares to do this. )

Prims can add a little glow which make eyes look more lifely than the standard eyes.

Nova Convair wrote:

Prim or mesh eyes are attached to the eyballs and therefore don't need any script to move. They move in the same way than the avatar eyes.

You don't need an alpha except the size doesn't match or your face doesnt' match
:)
or you are not able to do the very fine adjustments for a perfect fit.

Better textures? Nonsense. If you look at an avatar - what do you think how many pixels are spend on an eye? 10x10? 20x20? even if you zoom in on someones face you will barely go over 100x100 for a single eye on your screen - ok more on your mega 30" monitor
:)
No need to waste everyones texture memory by using 1024 textures though or in case of mesh its even possible to use multiple 1024 textures. ( I hope there is no wannabe creator that dares to do this. )

Prims can add a little glow which make eyes look more lifely than the standard eyes.

I agree there no need for huge textures for something that small. Unless you like lag. In which case more to you I geuss. Only REALLY HUGE advantage to prim eyes is that you can have on pair do many things including two color eyes at once.

I find  you always need teh eye alpha. It's just to difficult to make it match up to cover the whole eye underneath. Much like shoes with defualt feet. It's possible to do without an alpha IMO just to difficult.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3946 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.