What Programs Do You Use To Create Logos?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I usually get the response "Photoshop" or some other expensive art computer software. Which ones can I use to create a logo I thought up of without paying alot of money for the software. I don't mind spending a few bucks (prefereably 20-30 USD)but I'm more open to suggestions to certain downloads from online. I plan on only making simple nice-looking logo's/posters but not MS paint simple. 

Also, If you have any tutorials on how to make Logos, posters, signs, etc. for SL, please put them in the replies :matte-motes-smile:

blender is free and a professional 3D programm, sketchup make is by google which is also FREE and easier to use...(there is a sketchup pro but its $590) just get the free one. they may give you pro evaluation, but it will rever to the free after 8 hours use. online design is also free, is architectual online, but you dont pay a cent. I would suggest blender (which will be challenging to lern but there are heaps of tutorials on utube) or sketchup which you can start using straight away...have fun :D

Gimp is free and does just about everything Photoshop does.  Photoshop is what had been mostly promoted in SL because Adobe was an early contributor to SL.  Most of the tutorials about creating textures were therefore written for Photoshop.

I use the professional version of Corel myself and Gimp and between the two can do everything that Photoshop does and more.  Corel includes a vector based draw program that easily converts files to one of the formats you can import to SL.  Vector drawings are much more precise that paint programs and it is very useful for creating textures where a high precision is needed.

3D software is not needed to create a logo that is a graphic for use on signs, ads etc in SL.  You only need them if you want to make your logo a 3D mesh model or sculpt.

How complicated and involved are your designs for these logos and posters, SLTester2? If they're pretty basic and just involve words and pictures, then PowerPoint plus Snipping Tool can get you a really long way! I use these two every week to create stage props, signs and posters - get it how you want on your desktop, upload the finished article and shove it on a surface. For technofails like myself (who can only use about three tools in Gimp and can build a stage as long as it's all slabs...) it's magical. So like you, I'm also keen to hear other people's tutorials on how to do things more slickly or professionally :-)

Photoshop is an expensive suit. I agree and not always needed. It depends what you need to do.

For a logo I'd really suggest you to use GIMP

GIMP is free it's suppoorted for windows and linux platform plus in secondlife you find a big community ready to help with it.

The only difference between gimp and photoshop ios that gimp couldn't be used for 3d stuff, for all the other things they are aequivalent.

Another reason to learn to use gimp is also cause it's logic it's similar to photoshop so if a day you need to use photposhop the jup is really  simple.

I have been using gimp for years also for web designs and it's great.

http://www.gimp.org/

for really really beginners dogwaffle is not bad either

http://www.dogwaffle.info/dogwaffle/free/index.html

pixia is not bad either , but more known among Japanese community

herre is the link

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/mighty/knight/

Also paintnet that they already have suggested is not bad either and free.

You can't know which one is the best for you you must try and see which one fits better your way.

In my opinion( but opinions are relative) Gimp would be the best choice to learn; also cause once skilled enough with it you could do also sl clothes,

wiked Anton wrote:

blender is free and a professional 3D programm, sketchup make is by google which is also FREE and easier to use...(there is a sketchup pro but its $590) just get the free one. they may give you pro evaluation, but it will rever to the free after 8 hours use. online design is also free, is architectual online, but you dont pay a cent. I would suggest blender (which will be challenging to lern but there are heaps of tutorials on utube) or sketchup which you can start using straight away...have fun
:D

I agree for making 3D logos, 2D I use gimp as many have said.

For the OP

...and for really cheap, Cool Text is a good logo generator and editable in gimp.

Since a couple of years I use Photoshop Elements (10 Editor).

A professional edition of Photoshop (7) I stopped using when I switched to iMac. Did not want to buy the expensive one again or use illegal software.

I tried Gimp and it did all the work too that is true, I just not could get used to the UI. 

So in my element now :smileyvery-happy:

For 2d Go with the suggestion of gimp it's a great tool originally designed for use on linux. It's free and it literally is the same as photoshop. I've used photoshop for years now in college for graphic design when I needed to use gimp for various reasons Ifound it work to the same level and I was able to convert my skills between the two very easily. For vector based graphics you may want to consider inkscape. It's not quite as nice as illustrator but free and is workable plus you can save ina viraity of file formats natively from it.

There are already links to gimp here so I'll spare you another repost of them but there are no posts to inkscape so I'll put that up for you. http://inkscape.managedownloads.com/

Astrid Kaufmat wrote:

Photoshop is an expensive suit. I agree and not always needed. It depends what you need to do.

For a logo I'd really suggest you to use GIMP

GIMP is free it's suppoorted for windows and linux platform plus in secondlife you find a big community ready to help with it.

The only difference between gimp and photoshop ios that gimp couldn't be used for 3d stuff, for all the other things they are aequivalent.

Another reason to learn to use gimp is also cause it's logic it's similar to photoshop so if a day you need to use photposhop the jup is really  simple.

I have been using gimp for years also for web designs and it's great.

for really really beginners dogwaffle is not bad either

pixia is not bad either , but more known among Japanese community

herre is the link

Also paintnet that they already have suggested is not bad either and free.

You can't know which one is the best for you you must try and see which one fits better your way.

In my opinion( but opinions are relative) Gimp would be the best choice to learn; also cause once skilled enough with it you could do also sl clothes,

There's taht and also that fact that you can easily switch your skills from Gimp to photoshop and vice versa because the two programs are so similar. Which IMO is a HUGE advantage to learning gimp because professionals use photoshop and  you could actually use your skills to get a job in the long run if you wanted.

also never heard of pixia or doggwaffle I'll have to check them out sometime seem interesting.

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

wiked Anton wrote:

blender is free and a professional 3D programm, sketchup make is by google which is also FREE and easier to use...(there is a sketchup pro but its $590) just get the free one. they may give you pro evaluation, but it will rever to the free after 8 hours use. online design is also free, is architectual online, but you dont pay a cent. I would suggest blender (which will be challenging to lern but there are heaps of tutorials on utube) or sketchup which you can start using straight away...have fun
:D

I agree for making 3D logos, 2D I use gimp as many have said.

For the OP

...and for really cheap,
is a good logo generator and editable in gimp.

*quotes*

cool effect  !yeah that's what you can get but by Gimp limits in 3d I meant limits for 3d models, limits to draw in 3d clothes.

Hovever I guess that would for Madeline a cool logo if she choose to become a Gimp-er too.

GIMP gets a lot of support around here, but there's also Paint Shop Pro from Corel. It can be found on Amazon, etc., for $50 or so, and there's tons of tutorials on the web to do what you want. Of PS, PSP, and the GIMP, I'd say PSP has the most accessible interface. (That has to do with historically, PS was for pros, GIMP for geeks, so PSP was left trying to appeal to the broader consumer market)

Regardless of which freebie / low-cost image program you look at for logos and banners... Make SURE it works with creating layers and alpha-masks. You need that capability to do even basic IDs and compositions. If that wiz-bang, must-have! cheepie paint program doesn't offer those necessities? RUN!! And go for something like Paint.net which is FREE and does cover those basics.

• 2 weeks later...

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

paint.net is great. You can download it for free from 
.  I don't know why it doesn't get more recognition.  It will certainly do waht you want.

AMEN!

I've been using Paint.NET for years, and I can do everything that Photoshop does with it.  Plus, it's free!  It is a wonderful tool for image editing/creating.  That signature image I have, btw, was made in Paint.NET with a fairly simple tutorial.  :)

PS.  GIMP's interface is clunky and awkward.  D:

*runs away from GIMP fans*

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.