I just got a call...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4058 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know I shouldn't be surprised but I am. I just got a spam phone call from "The technical department of my broadband connection". That was a new one on me but I new it was a scam, so I asked which broadband company, and he hung up., dammit. I like to be the one who hangs up!

It's the lying 'excuses' they use for phoning that I'm sometimes surprised about. This one was a lie because he wasn't representing my broadband provider, but some of them are debateable. E.g. "It has come to the goverment's attention that..." And it really has come to the goverment's attention (the overselling of PPI - UK), but the guy isn't representing the governemt. Another is that, "It has come to our attention that you had an accident at work recently", which is always a lie, and "How is your Dyson vacuum cleaner?" when I've never had one. That one is just fishing for Dyson owners. Actually I do have a Dyson now but I only got it recently - and it's bloody brilliant!.

The lying scammers annoy me. They may well be representing genuine services but the way they go about getting my interest is a lying scam.

It may well have been that same one, Melita. Certainly the guy sounded Indian, but the call only lasted less than a minute because he hung up when I asked what company. He said he was my broadband provider so I asked what company.

It's not the specific call that I started the thread about. It's the scammy 'reasons' they dream up for phoning me that I find interesting.

I had one from an Indian sounding lady (the call may have originated from India, idk).  She claimed she was calling from "Microsoft" and that "there was a problem with my computer".  She called me "madam" so i gathered she didn't know my name from Adam plus, get real,  there's no way Microsoft are EVER going to call me about ANYTHING  *rolls eyes*  blah blah blah, so i hung up immediately... well... banged down the phone is more like it.  :matte-motes-mad:

squashy Beeswing wrote:

I had one from an Indian sounding lady (the call may have originated from Indian, idk).  She claimed she was calling from "Microsoft" and that "there was a problem with my computer".  She called me "madam" so i gathered she didn't know my name from Adam plus, get real,  there's no way Microsoft are EVER going to call me about ANYTHING  *rolls eyes*  blah blah blah, so i hung up immediately... well... banged down the phone is more like it.  :matte-motes-mad:

It's highly unlikely that Microsoft will call but they did used to call your fax machine if you requested it. I.e. if you used their automatic menus on the phone, to request a fax of some document, they would send the fax at their expense. That was quite surprising even for those days (back in the early 90s).

ETA: Or it might have been requesting it online. It's a long time ago.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

arrfff 

it was just me on phone... :smileyhappy: i didnt hung up... :smileysad: : my phone fell on the floor :smileytongue:

You do a very good Indian male accent
:)
Have you thought of taking up acting?
:P

hehhehehe yes, i noticed you said a "he" after sending my post...:smileyfrustrated:

so it couldnt be me...

but on another hand... my french accent while i "try" to talk english must be so worth to be heard than the indian one, you know .... :smileytongue:.....something unforgetable and awesomly fun ehhehehhehe

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

but on another hand... my french accent while i "try" to talk english must be so worth to be heard than the indian one, you know .... :smileytongue:.....something unforgetable and awesomly fun ehhehehhehe

I'll accept that - when I hear it ;)

Hardly a week goes by Phil that we don't get a telehone call from an Indian voice saying I have a problem with my computer and they can fix it. First few times I said 'how would you know anything about my computer' and hang up, now I tell them I don't have a computer and they hang up or I just say 'scammers' and hang up. I agree, hanging up on them is more satisfying.

It is of course a well known scam from Indian call centres. If you fall for their blarney, they ask for remote access to your computer via downloaded software and then charge you an extortionate amount for the remote service call in which they do nothing but apparently seem to have a good knowledge of Windows. I read somewhere that they are poor on Linux and Apple OS.

The broadband call is not one I'm familiar with yet but no doubt will come across the Irish sea soon. Yes, we have a Dyson as well and it is brilliant!

Perrie Juran wrote:

I just start breathing heavy and say "Thank heaven you called back.  Keep talking dirty, I'm almost there......................"

ahhahahhahhahahhahhahahhahahhah

this is my best laugh of the day !!!!!

i have one kind of same call here in France. they use to phone on my cell and just start saying "i have something important to tell you".. then they sart another sentence and hang up, simulating a phone cut... hoping i will call back to their surtaxed phone number....

i use to say "yeah, yeah, i know .. and you will hung up soon !" cynically...

but thanks Perrie... now i know what i will do next time..... 

im sure that even a female voice doing this, will have a great effect... 

hahahhahhahhahha

I've only seen one - heard it actually as it wasn't a video. The receiver of the spam phone call pretended to be cop who was there because the intended receiver had been murdered. He put the spammer through it for a while, as though the spammer might be guilty of the murder. It's hard to describe but it was incredibly funny :)

Phil Deakins wrote:

I've only seen one - heard it actually as it wasn't a video. The receiver of the spam phone call pretended to be cop who was there because the intended receiver had been murdered. He put the spammer through it for a while, as though the spammer might be guilty of the murder. It's hard to describe but it was incredibly funny

One of my bosses used to do this. 

Some of his lines were classic.

I used to act like it was the Vet Clinic returning my call.

"Oh good, thanks for calling back.  I wanted to find out how much it would cost to castrate my wife's cat."

Phil Deakins wrote:

I've only seen one - heard it actually as it wasn't a video. The receiver of the spam phone call pretended to be cop who was there because the intended receiver had been murdered. He put the spammer through it for a while, as though the spammer might be guilty of the murder. It's hard to describe but it was incredibly funny

That's a classic!  :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:  I believe you're talking about this: 

Even though it's on YouTube, it really is just an audio clip.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4058 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.