I just got a call...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4012 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

squashy Beeswing wrote:

I had one from an Indian sounding lady (the call may have originated from India, idk).  She claimed she was calling from "Microsoft" and that "there was a problem with my computer".  She called me "madam" so i gathered she didn't know my name from Adam plus, get real,  there's no way Microsoft are EVER going to call me about ANYTHING  *rolls eyes*  blah blah blah, so i hung up immediately... well... banged down the phone is more like it.  :matte-motes-mad:

Got this one myself. :matte-motes-angry:

Days and ages don't mean much. I'm not speaking for Phil because I know nothing about him except what I see posted here, but your comment to him could just as easily apply to me. I have (at home) a landline phone. Phone number's been the same for 20+ years. Doesn't display number calling. Doesn't announce its number when I call out either, just because I thought that idea sucked when it was first talked about (still do).

So yeah, when the phone rings we answer. If nobody starts talking by the time we count to five, we hang up. If we catch a fast telemarketer who speaks up before we finish counting, we say 'No thanks' and hang up. Most of the time when the phone rings it is a call from friends or family. Caller ID is a waste of time for us.

For the record my cell does of course display the numbers of incoming calls. The only ones I ignore are from area codes I don't recognize.

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Just chiming in here.....

... You actually answer calls from unknown phone numbers...in this day and age? Really?

I certainly do. I would miss personal calls if I didn't. My phone does display caller ID but I don't know the numbers of many of the people who call me. Besides, I like listening to the lies that some of them tell at the start - like the one in the OP :)

I did get angry one time though. The same local area firm spam-phoned me 3 times in 5 minutes, once from each of three local area branches. I let the third one have it! He phoned me back a few minutes to ask why I'd used such foul language at him lol. I told him, of course, but without the use of such foul language.

On the whole, they don't bother me. I just find it interesting and I usually hang up the moment I hear an indian-sounding voice or a silence of several seconds, but, once in a while, I get into a short conversation with them - just for the sake of it, and not because I'm ever actually interested in what they are plugging. When I get an English-sounding female, I always have a brief chat :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4012 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.