An unintended consequence? Effects of the TOS change.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The last L$ purchase I made through a third-party exchange was was for a sum of about 1800 L$, equivalent to about 7.50 USD (The exact figure doesn't matter, as will become apparent.)

Now that we have to use LindeX, the minimum deposit with Linden Labs is 25.00 USD, which cannot be directly returned. And that is roughly 6250 L$.

That is a big jump.

A common question from new players is "How do I get money?" While there are still one or two in-world options available to the newcomer, most ways of earning money in-world depend on developing skills and experience.

I used to advise people that is was worth investing a few dollars to buy L$, and compared it to a cinema ticket. (Yes, I have paid to see bad movies.)

The minimum payment to Linden Labs would pay for a couple of cinema tickets to watch the 3D version of the first installment of The Hobbit

Will this affect the retention rate, by discouraging new residents from giving the world a fair trial?

(New residents in the USA could use one of those Amazon deals, but that's not an option for the rest of us.)

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

The $25 thing only applies to limit buys. Market buys don't require a deposit like that.

This.

Seriously Wolf - do some basic research instead of making assumptions. When I buy Linden Dollars, I buy about 6k up front for parcel rent at the start of the month, then later on I'll make a single 1k - 2k purchase.

And never once has Linden Lab kicked back those second transactions - even BEFOR I had a parcel rent to cover.

This is the only place I can see for getting money into the LindeX system

It's the third line: "Currently, you must add at least USD 25.00 at a time."

If I have misunderstood that, Linden Labs need to explain things with more clarity. Once the money is there, it seems to be usable for anything. You don't have to convert it to L$ in one lump. But, as they tell you, you can't get it back out.

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

If I have misunderstood that, Linden Labs need to explain things with more clarity. Once the money is there, it seems to be usable for anything. You don't have to convert it to L$ in one lump. But, as they tell you, you can't get it back out.

you are not at the good page for buying l$. This is about the balance and dont ask me what is about, i never understood the difference (english is not my native language) 

but

look here : https://secondlife.com/my/lindex/buy.php

and you 'll see, you will be able to buy your 2500 l$ without any problem.

i even have bought from the inworld buy option less ammount.

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

Theresa Tennyson looks at the clicky button on her viewer that says, "Buy L$".

Any time you buy Lindens, including the small amount that you buy through clicky buttons, you're putting money into the LindeX system. I think what you're looking at is strictly for limit orders where you can try to determine your exchange rate, and they put a minimum amount so people don't gum up the system because they want to pay 23 cents for an imaginary tank top instead of 24. And you know there'd be people who'd do exactly that if they had a chance.

I would quite happily put 25 dollarsat a time in-- i normally spend 50Euro a week on land rental and food for my breedables .

The problem now , for me , is that i CAN'T buy lindens at all .

I normally use either Paysafe or Ucash both of which are widely availabe here.

As Lindex takes neither of these methods i for one am screwed .

From just talking inworld to other Europeans i am not  the only one with this problem .

Ive been in SL for over 6 years , this chage won't drive me away, i've too many friends on here for that , what it will do is stop me renting land and having a home here .

I was panicked when I seen my options because my limit on Lindex is 95 $ in 30 days..but I have a homestead to pay..so where is the sense in that???

Luckily i found ansheX exchange..more expensive too but no limit.

This whole situation is really bad and keeps people from spending like they used to:matte-motes-frown:

Hermione, the limit depend on the age of the avatar.. if at this time the limit was 95 $ per month, it probably changed with time.

check here your current limit : https://secondlife.com/my/lindex/describe-limits.php?lang=es-ES

and in case this one is not enough, you can submit a ticket here : https://support.secondlife.com/create-case/

Those ones takes a lil longer to be answered than some other ones, but they are answered...

in my first monthes, i did and they increased my limit soon.

The "Buy L$" button on my viewer just opens the Lindex web page so that you can buy L$ No surprise that it's the LindeX system, but it seems to expect that you have a positive USD balance, whether it's a Market Buy or a Limit Buy. And the only way I see mentioned of increasing that balance has that 25 USD minimum.

I was digging on the knowledge base, and buried deep in one page is a mention of something that may have changed just at the right time to catch me a year later. I'm b#getting some idea of what might have messed me up.

But Linden labs are doing a piss-poor job of letting costimers pay them.

Hi,

I always buy my lindens on the sl website from my home page where it says "buy $l and Mange $l. That is on the left hand side of the wb page. I am not familiar with buying them from a viewer so I am not sure where that takes you.

Malanya wrote:

Hi,

I always buy my lindens on the sl website from my home page where it says "buy $l and Mange $l. That is on the left hand side of the wb page. I am not familiar with buying them from a viewer so I am not sure where that takes you.

Same here and it is very straightforward.  I have purchased as little as $5.00 USD for lindens back in the day when I didn't need much.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Malanya wrote:

Hi,

Same here and it is very straightforward.  I have purchased as little as $5.00 USD for lindens back in the day when I didn't need much.

It is straightforward like you say and I don't know about the $25.00 minimum being spoke of. I have never gone off the page to buy though I have seen it on top of the marketplace page which is part of the sl website. I use FS I wonder if different viewers take you through another step before you get to the place where you just simply buy? I am not sure.  

i can tell you for sure i already bought 2k from the viewer buy l$ button... it never asked me for a minimal ammout of 25 $....

and i m even pretty sure i did too for 1000 l$..

what it say about your balance is that it has to be not negative... 

what can happen to you with lindex is that youll have an ammount possible really limited... 

Lindex increase this limit after some days or weeks.. but they do it using your lindex history.. so if you have never used lindex, you will start from the level 0, day 1 is the day of your first transaction and not the first day of your avatar existence... so it takes some weeks for being able to buy or sell a bigger ammount of money... 

"What is considered during a typical limits review

Typically we are looking at your LindeX™ usage and your payment history."

but as i said.. you can ask support for they change this limit at anytime.

"How to request review of your limits

You may request a review of your account to increase your limits. Please visit the support system and submit a ticket.

Select Billing -> LindeX™ Billing and Trading Limits Review Request

We'll review your request and get back to you within 5 business days."

and here is the full page : https://secondlife.com/my/lindex/describe-limits.php?lang=en-US

Nowhere they wont ask you to buy a minimum of 25 $..... 

the right page for buying l$ is this one : https://secondlife.com/my/lindex/buy.php and as you may see , the default ammount is not 25 $ there but 10.09 $.

Malanya wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Malanya wrote:

Hi,

It is straightforward like you say and I don't know about the $25.00 minimum being spoke of. I have never gone off the page to buy though I have seen it on top of the marketplace page which is part of the sl website. I use FS I wonder if different viewers take you through another step before you get to the place where you just simply buy? I am not sure.  

THERE IS NO $25.00 MINIMUM REQUIRED :smileyhappy:. this person is only using the wrong page... another person has already explained for what was this page, but obviously, not enough :smileywink:

Lucretia Brandenburg wrote:

The 25.00 minimum is only if you want a USD balance. From the dashboard, the lowest amount of L you can purchase is 2500, if you purchase L inworld, the minimum is 2000.  If you just want Lindens, you don't need a USD balance at all.

oh ok, I have not seen it on my dashboard but i only use specific areas of it anyways. This may sound ignorant, but why would someone want a USD balance instead of Lindens in their account?

Malanya wrote:

The 25.00 minimum is only if you want a USD balance. From the dashboard, the lowest amount of L you can purchase is 2500, if you purchase L inworld, the minimum is 2000.  If you just want Lindens, you don't need a USD balance at all.

oh ok, I have not seen it on my dashboard but i only use specific areas of it anyways. This may sound ignorant, but why would someone want a USD balance instead of Lindens in their account?

im ignorant too lol... so thanks for asking the question bec this is smth i never could understand lol 

ah so it s what i guessed...

its in case you want to make a lil reserve with usd... 

what i never could guess was the reason for this lol..

now i know its for the premium fees and other kind of things  that can only be paid in usd..

thanks Madeliefste and Lucretia.

4 years in SL with this mystery... now its no longer a mystery hehehehhehe Thanks a lot...

Madeliefste Oh wrote:

For example for paying main land tier, or for paying for a premium account. LL doesn't accept any payment in L$.

Thank you. I knew that premium account paymants had to be USD (didn't know you could use a balance in sl for that) I didn't realize mainland tier had to be paid the same way. I have always rented private estates. Good to know.

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Malanya wrote:

im ignorant too lol... so thanks for asking the question bec this is smth i never could understand lol 

well, so I have heard there is no stupid question asked lol but i did feel a bit odd not knowing why is has a place that "shows" a USD balance, just never knew. Oh we are not ignorant :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.