An unintended consequence? Effects of the TOS change.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's actually handy for budgeting. Work a bit of overtime, get a tax refund, put it in there for a rainy day so LL doesn't hit up my RL account and throw my monthly budget in a tizzy. Also, for those who cash out their L, they need to sell L and have a USD balance that is then cashed out, since Linden dollars are game tokens and not "real money"

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Malanya wrote:

Lucretia Brandenburg wrote:

The 25.00 minimum is only if you want a USD balance. From the dashboard, the lowest amount of L you can purchase is 2500, if you purchase L inworld, the minimum is 2000.  If you just want Lindens, you don't need a USD balance at all.

oh ok, I have not seen it on my dashboard but i only use specific areas of it anyways. This may sound ignorant, but why would someone want a USD balance instead of Lindens in their account?

im ignorant too lol... so thanks for asking the question bec this is smth i never could understand lol 

Using "limit buy" you can get a better purchase rate than the Market Rate.  I've been using it for a couple of years.  On average I get about $15L more per dollar than using Market Buy.  It adds up.

The downside is you have to first deposit 'cash' into your Linden account, the minimum amount being $25.  Once you make that deposit, you can spend all or part at any time on $L.

The value of the $L is still holding pretty steady against the U.S. Dollar.  In fact it is stronger today than yesterday.

well i remember, that one day, some years ago, i made a mistake purchasing my l$ and i added it to my balance then.. but it didnt made any difference lol..or at least i havent noticed one.. i had my l$ credited on my account same.. 

i dont rem exactly how it exactly happened and what i did for sending the money from my balance to my l$ account.. maybe 1 or 2 click more.. but then it has been same.. 

so yeah.. this left in my mind a lil mysterious memory, but since numbers and me are not good friends, ive been carefull to leave this in a lil corner in my mind and to not try to understand it too much ehehehhehe...

Since Linden Labs seems to be refusing my attempts to pay them, which page I use seems rather academic.

arabellajones,

An attempt to purchase Linden Dollars for your account via the LindeX page on secondlife.com has failed.

So damn useful and since I'm not a Premium resident...

Maybe I have mistyped my card details, but I am not allowed to view them to check "for security reasons"

So what then? Delete Card, and start from scratch I suppose.

I suppose I am just not the sort of people they want here, any more, When was the last time you paid them? When was the last time you checked they still wanted you in Second Life?

arabellajones wrote:

Since Linden Labs seems to be refusing my attempts to pay them, which page I use seems rather academic.

arabellajones,

An attempt to purchase Linden Dollars for your account via the LindeX page on secondlife.com has failed.

So damn useful and since I'm not a Premium resident...

Maybe I have mistyped my card details, but I am not allowed to view them to check "for security reasons"

So what then? Delete Card, and start from scratch I suppose.

I suppose I am just not the sort of people they want here, any more, When was the last time you paid them? When was the last time you checked they still wanted you in Second Life?

"Maybe I have mistyped my card details, but I am not allowed to view them to check "for security reasons"

I don't know where you are from but this is not only absolutely correct but is required by U.S. law.  Any business that accepts credit card payments has to have measures in place to secure this information.  Even on my OWN BANK's website when I log in to MY OWN account, all I can see are the last four digits for my savings, for my checking, for my credit cards, etc.

So the system is not only working the way it is supposed to, but the way it is required to by law.

If you are having troubles, there are Toll Free numbers you can call.  Hopefully one of them works for you.

Have billing issues? Give us a call.

Note that phone support is for billing issues only. If you're having technical issues, please use technical support.

Billing support phone numbers

Toll-Free (US/Canada)

Long-Distance

Our Billing team is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Local Toll-Free numbers
  • France: 0805.101.490
  • Germany: 0800.664.5510
  • Japan: 0066.33.132.830
  • Brazil: 0800.762.1132
  • Spain: 800.300.560
  • UK: 0800.048.4646
  • Support is in English Only

https://support.secondlife.com/billing-support/

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

It's the third line: "Currently, you must add at least USD 25.00 at a time."

If I have misunderstood that, Linden Labs need to explain things with more clarity. Once the money is there, it seems to be usable for anything. You don't have to convert it to L$ in one lump. But, as they tell you, you can't get it back out.

Wolf - you're confusing the Increase Credit function for the Buy L$ function and confusing Market Buy and Limit Buy.

You are in no way required to have a US Dollar balance on your account to buy L$.

This is the page you are looking for,

And yes, you can cash money out of Second Life still. People are still able to do it.

Like I said - some basic research first might have been the way to go.

Lucretia Brandenburg wrote:

The 25.00 minimum is only if you want a USD balance. From the dashboard, the lowest amount of L you can purchase is 2500, if you purchase L inworld, the minimum is 2000.  If you just want Lindens, you don't need a USD balance at all.

Not true. I have bought 1,000 L$ through both the website AND the client.

Thw amount they pop up is just a suggested minimum.

My dear young thing,

May I refer you to something I wrote, which you quote, and seem to be ignoring.

"If I have misunderstood that, Linden Labs need to explain things with more clarity."

It seems we have to puzzle out the procedures from a maze of web pages. We are told to use the LindeX, and when we follow that route we are told about a $25 minimum payment We don't get told that, if we set up the payment method for buying through the Viewer, that limit does not apply. If we click on the Viewer button, and the payment method is not linked to buying through the Viewer, we are dumped back in those Lindex pages.

When I did get all that sorted, all I got was that payment declined message,

I know how quickly and easily my first payment to a TPE was set up. And, even with the knowledge I have gained here, I still dread the prospect of explaining how to set up the payment method to a new resident.

My dear young thing,

"If I have misunderstood that, Linden Labs need to explain things with more clarity."

It seems we have to puzzle out the procedures from a maze of web pages. We are told to use the LindeX, and when we follow that route we are told about a $25 minimum payment We don't get told that, if we set up the payment method for buying through the Viewer, that limit does not apply. If we click on the Viewer button, and the payment method is not linked to buying through the Viewer, we are dumped back in those Lindex pages.

I know how quickly and easily my first payment to a TPE was set up. And, even with the knowledge I have gained here, I still dread the prospect of explaining how to set up the payment method to a new resident.

No dear - I didn't ignore it. I saw it for what it is - a statement made by smeone who did not bother to look around for information before assuming they had it right.

There is no minimum deposit into your account to be able to purchase L$. You are told that the minimum Credit you can add to your account is $25 - nowhere at all does it say that you must add this credit into your account to be able to purchase L$, something you'd have known already if you had bothered to look for more information or ask other users about.

And you can stow the attitude Wolf - I am far from "young". I just do not take kindly to people who don't bother to look for information.

Solar Legion wrote:

My dear young thing,

No dear - I didn't ignore it. I saw it for what it is - a statement made by smeone who did not bother to look around for information before assuming they had it right.

There is no minimum deposit into your account to be able to purchase L$. You are told that the minimum Credit you can add to your account is $25 - nowhere at all does it say that you must add this credit into your account to be able to purchase L$, something you'd have known already if you had bothered to look for more information or ask other users about.

And you can stow the attitude Wolf - I am 
far
from "young". I just do not take kindly to people who don't bother to look for information.

"And, even with the knowledge I have gained here, I still dread the prospect of explaining how to set up the payment method to a new resident."

You've got to be freaking kidding me?  All other complaints aside about how unfair LL is or how greedy everyone is, this statement is ludicrous.  I just did a run through with my account that I use for adjusting poses and had never set up for buying $L.

From the viewer I tried to buy $L.  I got a message I had to set up payment method and it directed me to the website where I had to log in and found myself at the "Buy $L" page.  And you want to know a little secret?   It is by default in the BASIC MODE** where you don't even see anything about placing limit buy orders, adding money to your account, etc.  Just the simple straight forward Market Buy.

Proceeding from their I attempted to buy and guess what, it told me I needed to add payment info and offered me to options:  Add a credit card or use my PayPal.

How much simpler than that can it get? 

Granted, if I don't have either of those I may now have to go digging for more info and that may take some work.  But outside of that, I can not see how it could be made any simpler.

**The ability to see or hide advanced mode is at the top right of the page. While some of it may go over a new users head, it is also pretty straightforward with clear explanations.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.