So out of sheer fact that I was completely bored...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I went to the welcome area, thinking I would be nice and help where I can to guide the new people. Instead I was made fun of because since my avi is tall. They said I must be a man.. No in rl I happen to be a 4 ft 9 in woman. Isn't this our world? I am not the tallest avi but yes fairly tall. There was also mario raining every where. If this is how we treat the new people coming on no wonder people dont stay long. Noobies become the verterans they will never get there if we pick on them. I love helping new people out but I dont know if its worth going to the new people area's. They are swarmed with trolls and not the cool kind either.

The Firestorm-team have setup a help/intro-Island too, where a newbie learns to operate the viewer.
At the end of the intro-tour, there is a gallery with useful start locations, e.g. NCI, White Tiger, Caledon, etc.
What is completely absent from this gallery: The LL-welcome areas. And I guess for a good reason.
From time to time I visit the Ahern-welcome area to take a look at the depravity, that is going on there.
You don't want to expose a newbie to that.

You start here: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Phoenix%20Firestorm%20Support/48/161/25

This is, what a newbie should be presented with. Not those griefer-laden welcome areas.

Jadeclaw Denfu wrote:

The Firestorm-team have setup a help/intro-Island too, where a newbie learns to operate the viewer.

At the end of the intro-tour, there is a gallery with useful start locations, e.g. NCI, White Tiger, Caledon, etc.

What is completely absent from this gallery: The LL-welcome areas. And I guess for a good reason.

From time to time I visit the Ahern-welcome area to take a look at the depravity, that is going on there.

You don't want to expose a newbie to that.

You start here:

This is, what a newbie should be presented with. Not those griefer-laden welcome areas.

I agree. A few IM'd me asking if this is what sl is about. One guy even boasted about how its going to make sure no one wants to return. It's like really lets think this threw. No people means no sl.

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

I went to the welcome area, thinking I would be nice and help where I can to guide the new people. Instead I was made fun of because since my avi is tall. They said I must be a man.. No in rl I happen to be a 4 ft 9 in woman. Isn't this our world? I am not the tallest avi but yes fairly tall. There was also mario raining every where. If this is how we treat the new people coming on no wonder people dont stay long. Noobies become the verterans they will never get there if we pick on them. I love helping new people out but I dont know if its worth going to the new people area's. They are swarmed with trolls and not the cool kind either.

I haven't been to a help area in quite some time.  The last time was at White Tiger, and it was quite peaceful and productive, and fun.  What you described sounds awful.  I don't remember my experience from 4 years ago to be that chaotic, and I'm not sure what I would have thought if I had encountered that as my first experience.  I think I just grabbed hold of the tools that were given to me and just started clicking, searching, teleporting, and just fumbling about as I became accustomed to learn how to do things and get along.  I think that is what is required to survive the initial plunge.  Most of the help I received was far away from those places, by excellent people who just wanted to share and pass along what they've learned and love about this place.  I hope your experience doesn't discourage your efforts to do the same.

I remember being very tall when I first started out and since have slowly shrunk to where I now range from 5' 7" to 5' 10" depending on the shape I wear, and I feel like a midget to compared to many.  I think the basic starter avatar is about 7' tall, maybe even taller?  By that measure everyone coming in for the first time MUST be a man...hahaha.

you kind of have to ignore some of those people there..some think they are second life..

there are some that help..but you'll get some real winners there sometimes..

just ignore them  and do what you came there to do..

i get a kick out of their profiles on some of them..

one guy said in his..he had been in sl for 6 years now..so the TOS doesn't appy to him..lol

then went into one of those stupid disclaimers..

there are people that do need answers there..

just pay attention to them and ignore the idiots is all hehehe

try out help island..that's usually where i go when i feel like helping fresh new users..

I do not use a tall avatar anymore i probably get to your hip, it all depends where you hang out, if everyone around uses tall avatar then it is not a problem, if you go where everyone uses shorter avis, then you will look the tallest, but I guess everyone should be able to use whatever they want anyway

Trolls are trolls are trolls... you do your thing, focus on a single newbie dealing with him on IM and instructing him to ignore the troll or griefer (nowadays most people are versed enough in the Internet that they're aware there's always one form of idiot or another) while you help him; thus he'll know that SL isn't made exclusively of those.

SID Riler wrote:

I do not use a tall avatar anymore i probably get to your hip, it all depends where you hang out, if everyone around uses tall avatar then it is not a problem, if you go where everyone uses shorter avis, then you will look the tallest, but I guess everyone should be able to use whatever they want anyway

Generally I am about the same hright maybe a little taller and still way shorter then men. Some places I am taller but Cant all be the same.. or at least I hope not lol

The infohubs are either a) deserted or b) overrun by idiots.

There are good welcome areas...Caledon Oxbridge University, White Tiger Help Island, Firestorm Island, NCI, and others.

The difference is that the good areas are run by RESIDENTS, and actively staffed.  Linden welcome areas are poorly built and never actively managed.

I go there sometimes, in the hope of finding the one nice newcomer in the crowd of jerks and showing them the REAL Second Life.  I've managed that sort of rescue operation a few times.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.