Complaining

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Complaining accomplishes several things if you think about it. The major one is that, when you complain about something, you are drawing the providers attention to something that may be able to be easily (or not) fixed, and there by saving any others from the same discomfort. It also serves as a vent to those who feel dragged along by a system, rather than contributors. After all Sl is made BY the people, but if you are happy to be abused, griefed, and just dragged along for the ride, then why should you complain. But dont judge others for it, as they are trying to make a better world. 

The act of complaining can accomplish a lot.  But it depends on what the complaint is and who you are complaining to.  If, for instance, your hot water heater sprung a leak and you complain to your landlord that complaint can accomplish quite a bit....and probably won't even irritate your landlord at all.  But if that same hot water heater sprung a leak and you call up your neighbor and complain it's not going to accomplish anything.......and it just might irritate your neighbor (that's assuming your neighbor isn't also your landlord :) ).  Another type of complaining that is likely not to accomplish much except maybe give you some sense of relief.........like complaining about things that are not within anyone's control.  I know someone who I love dearly but she has this very irritating habit of complaining about the heat in the summer.  Where we live, it gets hot in the summer.  It's uncomfortable and after a week or so of 90 plus degree heat it gets down right irritating..........but what you going to do about it?  Stay out of it as much as possible, take cool showers, turn on fans, close drapes on the sunny side of the house, open them on the shady side, don't bake cookies in the middle of the afternoon........and, mostly try to ignore it.  Complaining to me constantly only irritates me (which is easier when I'm uncomfortable).  It doesn't make it any cooler for her.  But I love her anyway.  :)

wiked Anton wrote:

Complaining accomplishes several things if you think about it. The major one is that, when you complain about something, you are drawing the providers attention to something that may be able to be easily (or not) fixed, and there by saving any others from the same discomfort.

The nature of a complaint generally doesn't come with the appropriate solutions to address the complaint.  It tends to come from a state of "I've been wronged" ...."how dare this happen to me"  ...or something similar.

I'm speaking here to the attitude attached to the identification of a problem.

Solaria Goldshark wrote:

The nature of a complaint generally doesn't come with the appropriate solutions to address the complaint.  It tends to come from a state of "I've been wronged" ...."how dare this happen to me"  ...or something similar.

I'm speaking here to the attitude attached to the identification of a problem.

If you are talking just general belly aching and b****ing just to complain then it accomplishes nothing.  But if you complain to the right people in the right way in the form of constructive criticism then it can accomplish a lot.

A lot of people come to these forums and do the former.  But there is also quite a bit of the latter.  Unfortunately some people suffer under the illusion that anything that is said here is read let alone taken to heart by LL .  But that is LL's mistake not the people that are trying to make things better.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Solaria Goldshark wrote:

No complaints here....but

What does the act of complaining accomplish, when taken as your first position to any problem, discrepancy or offence?

I suppose you'll deny it but I see your post as a thinly veiled complaint about complainers.

/me chuckles quietly...

This conversation reminds me of a piece of the Argument Sketch from Monty Python's Flying Circus....

(Walks down the stairs. Opens door.)

M: (Michael Palin)  I want to complain.
C: (Eric Idle) You want to complain! Look at these shoes. I've only had them three weeks and the heels are worn right through.

M:  No, I want to complain about...

C:  If you complain nothing happens, you might as well not bother.

M: Oh!
C:   Oh my back hurts, it's not a very fine day and I'm sick and tired of this office.

:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Solaria Goldshark wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

You've never complained before?

god no...I'm perfect
:)

.....just got to thinking about how useless it is.....and doesn't it tend to turn people off?

that's why it's so perfect..

sometimes when you have to turn someone off..

there is nothing like complaining about every little thing to make that happen..

i thought this was in the default bag of tricks..

:P

Private Jackson: Sir... I have an opinion on this matter.
Captain Miller: Well, by all means, share it with the squad.
Private Jackson: Well, from my way of thinking, sir, this entire mission is a serious misallocation of valuable military resources.
Captain Miller: Yeah. Go on.
Private Jackson: Well, it seems to me, sir, that God gave me a special gift, made me a fine instrument of warfare.
Captain Miller: Reiben, pay attention. Now, this is the way to gripe. Continue, Jackson.
Private Jackson: Well, what I mean by that, sir, is... if you was to put me and this here sniper rifle anywhere up to and including one mile of Adolf Hitler with a clear line of sight, sir... pack your bags, fellas, war's over. Amen.
Private Reiben: Oh, that's brilliant, bumpkin. Hey, so, Captain, what about you? I mean, you don't gripe at all?
Captain Miller: I don't gripe to *you*, Reiben. I'm a captain. There's a chain of command. Gripes go up, not down. Always up. You gripe to me, I gripe to my superior officer, so on, so on, and so on. I don't gripe to you. I don't gripe in front of you. You should know that as a Ranger.
Private Reiben: I'm sorry, sir, but uh... let's say you weren't a captain, or maybe I was a major. What would you say then?
Captain Miller: Well, in that case... I'd say, "This is an excellent mission, sir, with an extremely valuable objective, sir, worthy of my best efforts, sir. Moreover... I feel heartfelt sorrow for the mother of Private James Ryan and am willing to lay down my life and the lives of my men - especially you, Reiben - to ease her suffering."
Mellish: [chuckles] He's good.
Private Caparzo: I love him.

Saving Private Ryan

Perrie Juran wrote:

: Sir... I have an opinion on this matter.

: Well, by all means, share it with the squad.

: Well, from my way of thinking, sir, this entire mission is a serious misallocation of valuable military resources.

: Yeah. Go on.

: Well, it seems to me, sir, that God gave me a special gift, made me a fine instrument of warfare.

: Reiben, pay attention. Now, this is the way to gripe. Continue, Jackson.

: Well, what I mean by that, sir, is... if you was to put me and this here sniper rifle anywhere up to and including one mile of Adolf Hitler with a clear line of sight, sir... pack your bags, fellas, war's over. Amen.

: Oh, that's brilliant, bumpkin. Hey, so, Captain, what about you? I mean, you don't gripe at all?

: I don't gripe to *you*, Reiben. I'm a captain. There's a chain of command. Gripes go up, not down. Always up. You gripe to me, I gripe to my superior officer, so on, so on, and so on. I don't gripe to you. I don't gripe in front of you. You should know that as a Ranger.

: I'm sorry, sir, but uh... let's say you weren't a captain, or maybe I was a major. What would you say then?

: Well, in that case... I'd say, "This is an excellent mission, sir, with an extremely valuable objective, sir, worthy of my best efforts, sir. Moreover... I feel heartfelt sorrow for the mother of Private James Ryan and am willing to lay down my life and the lives of my men - especially you, Reiben - to ease her suffering."

: [
chuckles
] He's good.

: I love him.

Saving Private Ryan

Oh, that's brilliant, bumpkin :)

what's even more funny is I was looking at that quote last night as I was pondering this topic.....note to self:  I must get these alien Martian thingies out of my head......strange though, I don't remember joining the church of scientology.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Solaria Goldshark wrote:

No complaints here....but

What does the act of complaining accomplish, when taken as your first position to any problem, discrepancy or offence?

I suppose you'll deny it but I see your post as a thinly veiled complaint about complainers.

Next week I will be holding a class on the ramifications of making assumptions.....shall I save you a seat?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.