Sports in SL

Ina Fairport

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4030 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I saw a topic about games in SL but what about sports in SL ?

I started playing golf in SL some weeks ago and it is really fun to do.
And I found other sports in SL like volleyball, tennis, basketball

But....most of the sportsims are competely empty, not one avatar there

Does nobody like sport in SL ??

Ina Fairport wrote:

I once tried volley ball with my friend.  However much we tried to play it, reading the instructions over and over again, we were not able to play it in any realistic manner.  So after a while we left, leaving the place empty. :smileysad:

At Val, it was here:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Rangpur/40/100/21

Maybe you will have better luck than what we had. :matte-motes-big-grin:

Coby Foden wrote:

Ina Fairport wrote:

I once tried volley ball with my friend.  However much we tried to play it, reading the instructions over and over again, we were not able to play it in any realistic manner.  So after a while we left, leaving the place empty. :smileysad:

At Val, it was here:

Maybe you will have better luck than what we had. :matte-motes-big-grin:

Thanks Coby, I'll check this out when I come home tonight. :smileywink:

A lot of sports are played in teams, so I suspect there are groups that organize games for different sports.  You may want to use search to find out what groups are out there and join some if you want to play.

That would also explain why the sims seem to be empty.  They are probably used at specific times when a game is organized.

I just say sailing.

It's great ... if you don't crash that is. Many yacht clubs in SL with scheduled races for the different boat classes. But there's a hurdle, a kinda steep learning curve, so previous knowledge about RL sailing comes quite handy. But we have many RL landlubbers and desert dwellers who are top racers in SL.

A lot of sports are played in teams, so I suspect there are groups that organize games for different sports.  You may want to use search to find out what groups are out there and join some if you want to play.

That would also explain why the sims seem to be empty.  They are probably used at specific times when a game is organized.

I think that's right.

I'd just add that the GOHA hockey league seems to be quite active.

(Hockey is a sport, right? I live in Canada, where it's more of a national religion.)

Orca Flotta wrote:

I just say sailing.

It's great ... if you don't crash that is. Many yacht clubs in SL with scheduled races for the different boat classes. But there's a hurdle, a kinda steep learning curve, so previous knowledge about RL sailing comes quite handy.
But we have many RL landlubbers and desert dwellers who are top racers in SL

Well, Land Sailing has been around a long time, as well as Ice Yachting.

Fishing is HUGE!!!  There are 7Seas fishing areas that sell the poles and bait all over SL; many merchants include them as part of their sim.  They have a group and have a ton of tournaments, some of them weekly, that they announce in group as well as their website.  Even some non-fishing groups I'm in often have fishing contests for fun.

As several people mentioned, sailing seems to be big...or maybe it always has. I capsized my sailboat in phys. ed. when I was in college so I'm still having flashbacks and haven't attempted this in SL, despite living on a water sim...lol.  If you like to fly aircraft, I know there are various groups for that.  I met a guy who is a member of several WWII dogfight groups that participate in that on sims designated for the purpose.

Horseback riding is popular - Caledon has weekly (I think) outings for their group and anyone is welcome to join (meaning they don't have to be a part of Caledon or the riding group).  There are sims that have horseback racing/jumping tournaments.

I have gone downhill snow skiing in SL at the Weather sim (not sure if it still exists...but I've also seen downhill skiing areas set up elsewhere, especially during the winter months.  OH...and ice-skating is very popular...rinks and free skates all over.  I've also gone surfing, tubing and scuba diving.  I think there is a group for scuba diving.

Then there are the sports that are often found on Medieval type sims like fencing, jousting, etc.  Contests there as well.

When I think about it...there are all kinds of sports in SL.  If an area is empty, like Amethyst said, it could very well be the time of day/night and/or contests held at certain times.  Other sports some people prefer to participate in solo.  Horseback riding and fishing are relaxing for me and I'd rather do that by myself.

• 5 months later...

There are a few great football leagues in SL....

VIFL - currently between seasons but still recruiting players for Season 3.

CFL - a new league that is in the development process.  This league is months away from being ready to go live but I am sure will be great fun.

The game itself is fun and competitive.  It is open to men and women players along with team Cheerleaders.

--||-

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4030 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.