Jump to content

This... I gotta share


Paul Hexem
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

So, I spent 7 hours yesterday working on some projects, scripting and building.

Then a griefer came to play on the sim next to mine. He was crashing graphics cards, and then the sims themselves.

When I logged back in, that 7 hours of work had been reverted- as if he'd initiated a sim rollback. Filed a support ticket with LL to restore the sim. No change.

The joy of having no offline mode, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Gadget Portal wrote:

So, I spent 7 hours yesterday working on some projects, scripting and building.

Then a griefer came to play on the sim next to mine. He was crashing graphics cards, and then the sims themselves.

When I logged back in, that 7 hours of work had been reverted- as if he'd initiated a sim rollback. Filed a support ticket with LL to restore the sim. No change.

The joy of having no offline mode, right?

I wish there was a better way but if possible Tuesdays and Wednesdays can be the riskiest for building projects.  We are regularly reminded to avoid rezzing stuff, etc on the days there are rolling restarts.  Coupled with yesterdays network issues it was not a happy day for several folks.

I hope your stuff is savageable with a roll back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a similiar experience yesterday but there was no griefer involved.  My sim kept logging me out without warning and going down then when I'd log back in the work I had done was reverted.  Luckily knowing it was a day for rolling restarts, I had saved copies of everything I was working on frequently and it was only the version rezzed in world that reverted.  Still it was a pain in the @ss and wasted a lot of my time.  Took me all day to do what normally I'd have done within a couple hours. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


SinfulPrince wrote:

Ah yes....offline mode...I remember it from another world. The problem with offline mode tho is it encourages people like me to
never
log in.

yes that true

lots of creators not login much anymore either now tho. using blender and daz and photoshop and that to make all their stuff these days

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I were a scripter, this would be one reason I'd have my own Open Sim on a stick.

For prim work though there's not much to be done. Prims are not really used for real building anymore though.

But even so... importing sculpties and mesh, textures, pasting in scripts, and so on - that can easily consume days and not just 7 hours...

An offline mode would be nice. Get everything prepped on your own little Open Sim, and hit a single button to copy it all over as it was...

- This is the kind of thing for which there is no real excuse for its lack in 2013...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Gadget Portal wrote:

Nope, the only rollback they can offer is to the same one the griefer sent the sim to.

I understood that your problem was caused by the griefer in this instance.

I was just refering in general to the wisdom of doing major work on the days they are doing restarts.

It would be great if you could do a lot of that work off line, but until then, we still deal with what is. 

I understand that can be a pain, not saying it isn't.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:

I wish there was a better way but if possible Tuesdays and Wednesdays can be the riskiest for building projects.  We are regularly reminded to avoid rezzing stuff, etc on the days there are rolling restarts.  Coupled with yesterdays network issues it was not a happy day for several folks.

   I hope your stuff is savageable with a roll back.


 

Do you mean that you hope he can get it back so that he can savage it, or that you hope a rollback will savage it? ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Offline mode sounds great. Could sort inventory, build, replenish market shelves, whatever, in total peace?

It's funny though when a noob guy in the leather jacket that's been around since I joined, stands thisclose while I'm trying to get things done, and says OI. Then does the old noob gym poses. 

That's when my av looks around and pretends to be afk...I hate busy mode...never really works anyway...people who say they are in busy mode answer the IM in seconds, so they're not. And if I put busy mode on and someone sends me a gift it's gone.

Like that happens every day...but still.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Melita Magic wrote:

That's when my av looks around and pretends to be afk...I hate busy mode...never really works anyway...
people who say they are in busy mode answer the IM in seconds, so they're
not. And if I put busy mode on and someone sends me a gift it's gone.

I disagree. I'm rarely in Busy mode but, when I am - because I am actually busy and prefer not to be disturbed - it would depend on who is IMing, and/or what it's about, as to whether or not I reply immediately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Pussycat Catnap wrote:

If I were a scripter, this would be one reason I'd have my own Open Sim on a stick.

As a scripter, I've long since learned the hard way to back everything up offline (which isn't really a big deal, since I do most of my serious scripting in LSL Editor anyway, even if I am online at the time). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Perrie Juran wrote:

I wish there was a better way but if possible Tuesdays and Wednesdays can be the riskiest for building projects.  We are regularly reminded to avoid rezzing stuff, etc on the days there are rolling restarts.  Coupled with yesterdays network issues it was not a happy day for several folks.

   I hope your stuff is savageable with a roll back.

 

Do you mean that you hope he can get it back so that he can savage it, or that you hope a rollback will savage it?
;)

i really need to stay out of the forums at two in the morning

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Open sim scripting is slightly different than SL scripts.  Also open sim doesn't have some of the scripting calls SL does. So you really can't work on a scipt that is for SL in them.

Open Sim there mostly being an analogy. It can still be useful. But there is no reason that we shouldn't all be able to have a shadow sim on a local computer.

That said, the trend in 2013 for other applications is actually to copy the SL model.

SL is really just Cloud Computing a decade earlier. Anyone putting all their stuff on the Cloud right now should take a long look at the troubles of SL before doing so... Every nightmare we've had with LLs is about to get repeated on a much larger scale for the rest of the world...

Because the very idea of no local data is flawed to begin with...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Pussycat Catnap wrote:


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Open sim scripting is slightly different than SL scripts.  Also open sim doesn't have some of the scripting calls SL does. So you really can't work on a scipt that is for SL in them.

Open Sim there mostly being an analogy. It can still be useful. But there is no reason that we shouldn't all be able to have a shadow sim on a local computer.

That said, the trend in 2013 for other applications is actually to copy the SL model.

SL is really just Cloud Computing a decade earlier. Anyone putting all their stuff on the Cloud right now should take a long look at the troubles of SL before doing so... Every nightmare we've had with LLs is about to get repeated on a much larger scale for the rest of the world...

Because the very idea of no local data is flawed to begin with...

 

I know it is different because i have scripted in several open sims for clients before. There are differences in syntax and in functions available.  LL does not make the current software for SL available to open sim developers.  They stopped that long ago.  Open sim developers must rely on other open sim developers and/or reverse engineer their software to come anywhere near SL as it is today.

Many of the new scripting functions  LL has added to SL  just are not available on open sim and can't be used there due to copyright/license issues.  A few open sims have alternatives they have developed for some of them but they are different and can't be carried into SL.

Physics too is different even if it exists.  Open sim software does not come with physics and so you must install it.  You can't use the engine SL uses as Havock won't license it to you or the cost of a license is prohibitive. So if there is physics on an open sim it is different and may not act the same as SL's.

Aside from scripting and things requiring physics, open sims can be very useful, and running your own on your own computer can be too.  But even so, it won't be like SL today.  There are limitations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Melita Magic wrote:

That's when my av looks around and pretends to be afk...I hate busy mode...never really works anyway...
people who say they are in busy mode answer the IM in seconds, so they're
not. And if I put busy mode on and someone sends me a gift it's gone.

I disagree. I'm rarely in Busy mode but, when I am - because I am actually busy and
prefer
not to be disturbed - it would depend on who is IMing, and/or what it's about, as to whether or not I reply immediately.

Of course this isn't a uniform thing. People are individuals. 

I should specify that I do not IM someone I know to be in busy mode. Once in a while I have to IM a CSR for support, with some products in SL, and they are frequently in busy mode. But they seem to answer immediately anyway, so for some, the Busy Mode is used to give them some breathing room while potentially being sent IMs from multiple customers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the problems I have, as a scripter, with Busy Mode is that it stops me from interacting with many items I'm testing.    This is a reason why alts are useful, of course.

Argent Stonecutter, ages ago, suggested having a mode that puts you offline to everyone and everything that's not on the same sim, which I think would be an excellent idea, myself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My only experience in using LSL scripts in another virtual world (which I assume is built on the Open Sim model) was two years ago when I was contemplating opening my shop there in addition to SL.

I make a futon that changes from a sofa to a bed by clicking on the sofa back.  After exporting it to the other world I tried it out.  Well it worked...sort of. Instead of the sofa back flattening to a horizontal position, thus creating the flat bed, it flipped up in a vertical position, intersecting the sofa base.

In case the script had become corrupted during the upload/download process, I built the futon from scratch.  Same situation.  I stared at this new "build" for awhile, trying to think of some way I could make it into a useful item, then finally gave up.  I consulted a scripter in the other world and was told that LSL scripts often didn't work the same way there due to the lack of a physics engine.  So yeah...a difference there. 

I wish I'd thought to take a photo of the "intersecting futon."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...