someone watching im's

Jillam

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4202 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Right after? As in seconds?

He may have sent it to himself - if he was wearing some kind of 'tool' device, like a special creator / builder HUD.

- Sometimes they have chat based commands, and it could be that what he said happened to be one of the commands.

For example, If I say 'fire' in my SL home, the stove goes off or on...

a chat spy device

Just want to make sure: We're talking here about private IMs, right? Not local chat? (A scripted object can see local chat but not IMs.

I'm no RLV expert, but it's my impression that the official RLV spec does not support seeing IM contents, only controlling whether and with whom IMs can occur. (Of course, a third party viewer could be doing anything.)

Jillam wrote:

Im sure he doesnt have the RLV. Im having him contact linden to find out. The camera showed up right after he mentioned it but there was no way to tell who sent it.

Were you and your friend in or near any stores at the time?  I'm also thinking it could be a chat spy bot or similar device.

Jillam wrote:

Im sure he doesnt have the RLV. Im having him contact linden to find out. The camera showed up right after he mentioned it but there was no way to tell who sent it.

Don't contact the Lindens about this. If he's using the Linden viewer, he doesn't have RLV.

[ETA: That's not to say he shouldn't contact the Lindens about the larger problem, if we can't figure out what's going on. But specifically about RLV, the Lindens have no role in it at all.]

Jillam wrote:

A friend and I were talking in im in Sl and he mentioned something about using a video camera in SL. Suddenly a camera was sent to him. Does anyone know how this may have happend? Someone appears to be watching his im's.

You should get your friend to say "next week's lottery numbers" and see what happens.

Qie Niangao wrote:

a chat spy device

Just want to make sure: We're talking here about private IMs, right? Not local chat? (A scripted object can see local chat but not IMs.

I'm no RLV expert, but it's my impression that the official RLV spec does not support seeing IM contents, only controlling whether and with whom IMs can occur. (Of course, a third party viewer could be doing anything.)

You are correct about this for RLV.

And it's not available in Firestorm.

Jillam wrote:

A friend and I were talking in im in Sl and he mentioned something about using a video camera in SL. Suddenly a camera was sent to him. Does anyone know how this may have happend? Someone appears to be watching his im's.

Your friend might just be having a bit of fun with you, pretending that someone is spying on you both.  It really isn't possible that someone is listening into IMs.

There are some people who choose in Second Life to deform themselves and blame other people for it too.

People are strange.

Echo Hermit wrote:

Your friend might just be having a bit of fun with you, pretending that someone is spying on you both.  It really isn't possible that someone is listening into IMs.

i am tend to agree with this is what happened

quite often friends will prank you. the more they a real friend the more they do. well mine do anyways lol. and i do to them back as well (:

Thanks for all the reply's, he doesnt appear the be a prankster so I count that out. He doesnt use RLV. This was in Im not local chat. He did say it suddenly showed up after we talkied about it and we were in separate places at the time. I will ask him where he was when we were talking. Good thought about the transaction history. Ill have him check it.

I have heard in the past that it is technically possible IF the person reading your IM owns the server the region is on. I am not sure if that is still possible.

I have also had someone answer an IM I was in with another person and I KNOW that was not the person's alt. They were also baffled. I know the person too well and they were not lying about it. So I have had this happen once or twice in Second Life too.

I think it is possible sometimes that the person's alt is doing this to try to freak you out; but if you know that is not the case, it makes you wonder whose alt it is. (The server/sim owner or a Linden.)

A region owner doesn't have access to IMs. That would require access to the software running on the server. The region owner only owns the data that the simulator software uses to create the region. The Lindens control the server and its software. Note: a region isn't tied to a specific server. Depending on the type of region, it could be running on one or part of a CPU on any of thousands of servers.

Someone might hack into the system, but I doubt it's worth a possible jail term to listen in on IMs in SL.

A compromised SL client or misbehaving Linden are two other possibilities.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4202 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.