Linden Lab Advert

Porky Gorky

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Porky Gorky wrote:

Well SL is not free for me to play. I am a premium member. Yet they still choose to spam me. So based on that logic, being a paying customer does not deter Linden Labs from targetting their advertising towards me.

I am sure LL could slip an ad for SL into Patterns somewhere. :matte-motes-big-grin:

That's OK, you just don't know what free to play means. Free to play means that you don't have to pay to log in and do basic stuff. Even if you pay for land or spacebux, those are totally optional and you are not paying to log in.

If you were smart you might even notice that the ad shows up before you log in, when the system doesn't know who is in front of the screen yet.

You don't even get a copy of Patterns to run until sombody buys a key. That is not free to play.

Incoherendt Randt wrote:

That's OK, you just don't know what free to play means. Free to play means that you don't have to pay to log in and do basic stuff. Even if you pay for land or spacebux, those are totally optional and you are not paying to log in.

Of course I know what free to play means. There are plenty of games out there that are free to play. People who choose to play for free are exposed to advertising which generates revenue. However, in the majority of free to play games, as soon as you purchase a membership the ads are removed. This is the standard system of revenue generation especially in browser based games. 

Phil Deakins wrote:

But I logged out an in again to see what you are talking about. Then I clicked on the ad. I rummaged around in the website and it doesn't tell me what Patterns actually is. If I buy it, what do I do with it? It doesn't tell me that. I suspect it's just a children's drawing programme but it doesn't actually say what it is.

• 2 months later...

patterns.JPG

Heh Heh Heh

I'm necroposting but just saw this pop up. It's the first time I think I've seen one, or at least noticed it.

I've always wanted to necropost.

Heh Heh Heh

My word!  We can be 'Founding Supporters!'

Cool

https://www.buildpatterns.com/buy/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=728x90_Gen&utm_campaign=Buy

The first time I saw this advertisement was today.  It is of little consequence its self, however people who do choose to spend their money on such an endeavor should be warned that most products created by Linden Labs are eventually doomed to catastrophe.  The slogan of "Patterns" is "It's your universe to shape."  This is very similar to Second Life's original slogan "Your life - your imagination." which has been long since abandoned. 

To be replaced now with the more functional phrase of "Good luck using our software!  It has many flaws, even after a decade of development.  If you encounter difficulties?  We no longer have sufficient staff to care!"

Zack84 Burton wrote:

The slogan of "Patterns" is "It's your universe to shape."  This is very similar to Second Life's original slogan "Your life - your imagination." which has been long since abandoned.

Same PR office maybe?

The original slogan was "Your world, your imagination". And it had a subtext that you could OWN a part of this world.

Yeah, those were exicting times, we were the pioneers of a new world, created by LL but owned by its residents. With a happy Pip Linden appearing in every media event to paint it all purple and yellow colors, predicting SL was only the first step in the future of 3D internet. And we felt involved as early adapters, we were part of the adventure that was taking place.

Nowadays we are nothing more then customers. And not even dear customers, but mainly ignored customers. LL left us behind long ago, maybe at the moment they decided they did not want us any more as owners of the world, and change the TOS. The whole population was demoted it that point, we became paying customers in stead of owner. The underlaying message was: "Our world, your donation"

Madeliefste Oh wrote:

The original slogan was "Your world, your imagination". And it had a subtext that you could OWN a part of this world.

Thank you for the correction in the slogan.  At the time things were very poorly translated, if translated at all so many things were incorrectly phrased from my recollection.   I do not know if I would be considered an "early adopter" as I did not come along until 2005.  However, I do still remember the same enthusiasim you mentioned.  I have owned land, at many times large areas of land, for the entire time I have been in Second Life.  Lately it has been more of an obligation to log-in and maintain it rather than a joy.  I do very much like your new slogan!!  "Our world, your donation" I think I will use that if I may.  ^V^

StRaven Gothly wrote:

I take it that you all are using the official viewer? I don't use it so I don't see any ads like that.

These ads appear on other websites we visit. Not thru the viewer.

on a side note. it says "Special perks for Founding Supporters". /me wonders what those perks are since they are not disclosed lol

It also says "Includes all releases up to and including 1.0."

So that means after 1.0 you will have to pay full price which will be 20 dollars or pay for upgrades?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.