Linden Lab Advert

Porky Gorky

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I log into SL using the main viewer I get spammed with an ad on the screen for Patterns. I was wondering if LL were fully embracing this opportunity for cross promotion by spamming users of Patterns with an ad for Second Life at some point during the loading process. Has anyone who has bought Patterns noticed if this is the case?

I never see the ad because I usually manage click to login before any of those graphics appear. Also, I don't have the window at full screen so, even if the graphics appear, that ad is off the right side.

But I logged out an in again to see what you are talking about. Then I clicked on the ad. I rummaged around in the website and it doesn't tell me what Patterns actually is. If I buy it, what do I do with it? It doesn't tell me that. I suspect it's just a children's drawing programme but it doesn't actually say what it is.

Porky Gorky wrote:

When I log into SL using the main viewer I get spammed with an ad on the screen for Patterns. I was wondering if LL were fully embracing this opportunity for cross promotion by spamming users of Patterns with an ad for Second Life at some point during the loading process. Has anyone who has bought Patterns noticed if this is the case?

I'm not gonna pay 9,95 USD for a lego-like game, so I don't know if Patterns users get advertisement for Second Life. Anyway I don't mind the Patterns ad on SL login page: I usually use the minutes it takes to load for a pee break. :P

No, I don't mind it either.

Seeing as they are trying to tempt SL users into trying Patterns, I was wondering if they had the sense to promote SL to those Patterns users that had never tried SL before (if there are any). Based on their past history of promoting SL I am guessing the answer is no. But I am hoping to be wrong.

Patterns is fun, though in a very different way from the way SL is.   It's aimed, I think, at people who like Minecraft.  

I've not seen any adverts for SL in Patterns but it's still very much Alpha software -- I'm pretty sure that almost all, if not all, the people who've tried Patterns found out about it via SL.

According to the Minecraft website over 8 million people have bought the game and I bet 4 times as many have torrented it so that is an ambitious market to break into. If they are successful with it in the future I wonder if LL will use Patterns to promote SL or if LL would rather just try and disassociate themselves from SL due to it's tainted reputation that seems to exist among the general public.

the one big advantage that Patterns has over Minecraft at the moment is physics. that will attract some people who into blowing stuff up.  dont seem to much in the way of rules in the game so far to stop that at this stage. so blowing chit and other ppl up is going to be a popular pastime

the triangles can make more interesting shapes than cubes tho so some people will like that but nowhere near as many who like to blow stuff up

if Minecraft get physics anytime soonish then Patterns pretty much going to end up toast i think. at least for the mass market of mainly kids and teens who into Minecraft

mostly the big problem i think that linden have is they are just not cool for teens/young people. notch is cool. he is legend. linden is kinda mehurmom

Incoherendt Randt wrote:

No ads in Patterns, but it isn't free to play either. It runs thru Steam and that's got plenty of ads already.

Well SL is not free for me to play. I am a premium member. Yet they still choose to spam me. So based on that logic, being a paying customer does not deter Linden Labs from targetting their advertising towards me.

I am sure LL could slip an ad for SL into Patterns somewhere. :matte-motes-big-grin:

It's not spam any more than those Google ads that appear in so very many websites are spam. Placing ads on websites is not spam, and neither is placing ads on the login page of SL. Not only that but LL owns Patterns, don't they? If they do, it can hardly be considered spam to advertise on your own page.

Spam is unsolicited. When you open the SL login page, you solicit it, and whatever is on it. Just like you solicit each ad-containing webpage that you choose to get.

I think that anyone, or any company, is absolutely free to advertise their 'other' offerings on their own products. It's perfectly standard and they would be really stupid not to do it.

I haven't been fixating on your incorrect use of the word 'spam'. I merely pointed out that it was the wrong word, in defense of the party that you wrongly accused of it - and there's nothing wrong with that.

Phil Deakins wrote:

I haven't been fixating on your incorrect use of the word 'spam'. I merely pointed out that it was the wrong word, in defense of the party that you wrongly accused of it - and there's nothing wrong with that.

Yeah I was just pulling on your plonker mate :matte-motes-big-grin:

5977113263230247669.jpgI saw this ad on the NWN website the other day. I was surprised by it as it is very suggestive (look at what her right leg is rubbing against) and I always got the impression that LL steered well clear of promoting SL as the sex sandbox of online worlds. This advert basically says to me, "come to SL and get virtually laid".

Sex sells I suppose so it makes sense.

Phil Deakins wrote:

But I logged out an in again to see what you are talking about. Then I clicked on the ad. I rummaged around in the website and it doesn't tell me what Patterns actually is. If I buy it, what do I do with it? It doesn't tell me that. I suspect it's just a children's drawing programme but it doesn't actually say what it is.

I'm still waiting for them to tell me what Second Life is. :P

Perrie Juran wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Intuition
:)

So you are are now telling us that actually you are a woman?

I would haver never guessed.

It's true, I have seen her photo in her profile, all northern women look like that in England :smileywink:

ETA: and of course Phil must be short for Phillipa. It all makes sense.

Porky Gorky wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Intuition
:)

So you are are now telling us that actually you are a woman?

I would haver never guessed.

It's true, I have seen her photo in her profile, all northern women look like that in England :smileywink:

ETA: and of course Phil must be short for Phillipa. It all makes sense.

Well, my understanding is that Women have Intuitions, men have testicles.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.