Contest Kudos I want to know where mine went

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4206 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I agree, Dee. I think it is very bad that the photos that were pulled weren't told why. Inexcusable. Also, in case I wasn't clear, I didn't think those that were pulled was because I thought they were voting with alts but rather that they were accused of using alt votes. I think someone accusing them was enough to get them pulled, which of course is total bs, especially if they didn't even tell them if that was the reason. Of course, I am only guessing.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My one and only contribution to this thread...My pic was pulled too, just like Bella's and someone else's.
I did NOT get any notification, it was only after someone sent me a message asking on why my photo was gone - after they voted on it - a couple of hours before closing of the contest, that I found out.
My entry has been up from the start, almost two months.

I admit, I do not remember the exact wording of the rules, but I recall it mentioning "one vote per resident" and the size of the image had to be 512x512 pixels. Also, no post processing in photoshop or any other software allowed.
My pic was a raw shot from SL, no editting. Alas,....I afterwards realised it was not resized to 512x512 pixels. My bad. That could have been spotted by the jury the moment I submitted it, why wait 2 months and pull it a few hours before closure, not giving me the chance to re-submit in a correct size?).

About 'alt voting'. I dunno. There was no specific mentioning of alts in 'one vote per resident'...technically speaking an Alt is a resident? Besides that, I cannot control the voters, nor their alts.

Apart from that, the rules are gone.
They were published but at some point dissapeared. So I can't check. If they replace the rules, I will still not know for sure if those are the same ones, things may have changed and I could question it? Bad form, rules should be available during and after the contest, to avoid discussions about them.

If my pic is pulled due to either the size or ppl's  alts having voted - which I still do not know - , then this should also apply to LOTS of other entries. Heck, even the winning pic does not meet the 512x512 pixels conditions and I am convinced some alternative accounts of someone have voted on it.

I am not going to whine and play the saint. But if I broke those rules mentioned, then I am most certainly not the only one and it is VERY strange only 3 entries got pulled, the nrs 1, 2 and 3. (I was told I was nr 3, the last time I checked I was 4, but oh well..).

No it is not about the 5K lindens for me, I was not assuming I  would win at all. I just find it extremely dissapointing to have an entry pulled without ANY communication or explanation whatsoever.

I used to participate in this forum and their silly contests for fun. Well, that fun and joy is gone now.

Tex Monday wrote:

unfortunately, I suppose, we need to take what the Lindens do with a grain of salt... just go on with our lives in SL and forget that they even exist.

I agree Tex, but since they asked for a feedback, now they have it. It won't lead anywhere, I know, but at least I let off some steam! :smileywink:

Yes Charolotte, no I was pretty sure also that was what you meant and possibly there is some truth behind it. LL doesn't seem to notice much lately unless the masses have pitchforks and torches heading towards the mansion on the hill in the dark of night screaming for blood.

Oh well, sigh.

Right, yours was one of the ones I remembered and one of the comments posted to it that got me to thinking about alts, someone said, hope you win, until someone pulls out their alts to vote for someone to beat you, or words to that effect.

Whatever the reason, it should be told, that way their is a reason to either dispute it or know for next time. I think the way Second Life contests are held are ridiculous, I don't think anyone is in it for the money, but rather just a way to participate and further our sense of community. These contests, especially this one, are doing the exact opposite.

A Linden needs to be held accountable.

Linden Lab wrote:

Hello all,

Just a note that p
otential winning entries are reviewed and winners are determined based on adherence to the guidelines and rules of the contest.

Thank you!

Oh my gosh...they do exist..

Maybe there is a Santa Claus and Easter Bunny after all....(now, watch my account get mysteriously deleted :matte-motes-sunglasses-1:)

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Right, yours was one of the ones I remembered and one of the comments posted to it that got me to thinking about alts, someone said, hope you win, until someone pulls out their alts to vote for someone to beat you, or words to that effect.

Whatever the reason, it should be told, that way their is a reason to either dispute it or know for next time. I think the way Second Life contests are held are ridiculous, I don't think anyone is in it for the money, but rather just a way to participate and further our sense of community. These contests, especially this one, are doing the exact opposite.

A Linden needs to be held accountable.

Perhaps everyone who had a picture removed should post the exact image they used so they can get an explanation what was wrong with it.

My theories:

1. It's not about who is winning. It's about who is losing

2. The two of you must have at least shared a common 'enemy'

3. There is a word in Arab - Wasta, translation: Someone who has the power. A person who who has a connection with a Wasta might have used this opportunity to make sure things will go in their direction

All I'm saying, Linden Lab.. You acted very very weird and unprofessional. 

Willow Danube wrote:

My theories:

1. It's not about who is winning. It's about who is losing

2. The two of you must have at least shared a common 'enemy'

3. There is a word in Arab - Wasta, translation: Someone who has the power. A person who who has a connection with a Wasta might have used this opportunity to make sure things will go in their direction

All I'm saying, Linden Lab.. You acted very very weird and unprofessional. 

1. Oh, that's right.

2. Yup, for sure.

3. A very possible option indeed.

And now I really going to leave it at this, it is really to silly for words :)

Linden Lab wrote:

Hello all,

Just a note that p
otential winning entries are reviewed and winners are determined based on adherence to the guidelines and rules of the contest.

Thank you!

Will you please re-post the rules or leave them there for the entire contest beginning through end? I know that most of the shots are NOT 512x512 and Caity one resident = one account and no mention of IP addresses or alts. My hubby, my sis and I all post from the same house but we are not alts of each other and we all have valid email addresses that are unique. Perhaps the rules should be the same for each contest and posted on the wiki with only the names and dates changed. We run a monthly Mer Photo contest with prize money the same as this and our rules are always the same. I invite any and all to join our contest that is judged by a panel of judges who are involved in the Mer community, fashion community and LEA. Oh and ours is not a voting contest nor does anyone have to pay to join. Nothing "fishy" about it except the models;-)

thanks! Seems like these are the seminal rules:

How to Enter:Between the hours of 12:00 p.m. Pacific on October 15, 2012 and 11:59 p.m. Pacific, October 31, 2012 take a picture that fits the contest theme. Upload your image in jpeg or png format to the contest.

Images must be free of text and logo, and no larger than 500x500 pixels in size Images should be unaltered by any external photo editing tool except for sizing the image.

Caity has said her photo was larger and I believe Bella took her photo before the contest started.. still they should have been told before voting started so that our kudos were not disallowed. I want my kudo credit :P

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Since our Community Manager (whoever that is hiding behind the curtain...) won't post the rules, here's Google's cached copy, for anybody that is interested:

Thank you Grifffin.

See, it wont work with my memory alone, I messed up the sizes. So my apologies to Loki, the winning pic does meet the sizes as stated in the rules, I previously stated his was not according to rules, this is not true. My bad.

I may need to check mine, am not sure what the size exactly is but not sure if I can be bothered as this whole socalled contest has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Since our Community Manager (whoever that is hiding behind the curtain...) won't post the rules, here's Google's cached copy, for anybody that is interested:

Thank you Grifffin.

See, it wont work with my memory alone, I messed up the sizes. So my apologies to Loki, the winning pic does meet the sizes as stated in the rules, I previously stated his was not according to rules, this is not true. My bad.

I may need to check mine, am not sure what the size exactly is but not sure if I can be bothered as this whole socalled contest has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Caity if the photo is the same size as on FB it was not the size but date taken that decided the exclusion. The FB photo is 344x500

--||-

Argus Collingwood wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Thank you Grifffin.

Caity if the photo is the same size as on FB it was not the size but date taken that decided the exclusion. The FB photo is 344x500

Really..I never read it as such, that the actual photo had to be shot in a specific timeframe. LOL. I read it as : take a pic (as in..take it from a folder or make it..!!). Hahahahah! Oh my...and: oh well. I still do not know if that is the reason btw...it is still only guessing and I find it tiresome.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4206 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.