ALIENS!!!

Porky Gorky

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Tired of answering the same old questions and having the same old discussion in the GD forum?

If so then pull up a chair and join me here as we talk about Aliens!

Here are some talking points.

• Does life exist outside of our solar system?
  • If so, has that life developed intelligence that rivals and surpasses our own?
  • Do you believe aliens have visited Earth in the recent past i.e. Roswell etc.?
  • Do you believe the Ancient Astronaut theories that suggest that Aliens have shaped all of Human History?
  • Do you think governments are covering up the existence of Alien UFO’s or using the phenomena to mask their own secrets projects?
  • Will we ever be able to communicate with an Alien civilisation if we find one or if they find us?
  • What do you think an alien life form might look like?
  • Is it a good idea for us to be searching for ET’s and broadcasting our position in the galaxy or should we be trying to hide?

Discuss…

I sure would like to talk to Gary McKinnon and ask him what he found out lol. He spent a year and a half hacking the US military computers NASA, DOD, etc searching for all UFO data . He claims he knows a lot of stuff.Some of which included extratertestrial officers of sorts... Odd stuff. . But he wont share it. YET lol. I find it funny that the UK denied extradition. We send out wild loooking objects and  probes to other planets exploring. You never know what is out there....

We are all aliens lol

Does life exist outside of our solar system?

Probably.

If so, has that life developed intelligence that rivals and surpasses our own?

No idea.

Do you believe aliens have visited Earth in the recent past i.e. Roswell etc.?

No. One big reason why I don't believe that most of the UFO sightings are extra-terrestrial is that they are bright lights in the sky. If I were an extra-terrestrial visiting another world, I certainly wouldn't turn the headlights on, or any other very bright lights, so that the population below could see me. I'd definitely want to be very stealthy about it. So I don't believe that the lights are anything to do with extra-terrestrial aliens.

Those sightings that are not lights are either not backed up with photographic evidence, or the photographic evidence is so unclear that there's no way to see if it's an actual vehicle or not.

The 'strange' material (that sprang back to its original shape after being crumpled) that witnesses found at Roswell turned out to be a sort of plastic that was in use at the time but wasn't familiar to the general population so it would be a very 'strange' material to the witnesses, or so a documentary I saw concluded. It probably was a weather balloon or a military project.

A couple of years ago, I was looking out of my dining room window when a very strange darkish object moved slowly across the sky. It was taller than it was wide and it was narrower at the top that at the bottom. It didn't have wings, and it was sort of lumpy - not straight-sided - like an object with boxes attached. The overall shape was that of a Dalek except that it was lumpy. It wasn't at a great altitude and my first thought was an autogyro, but as it came over, I could clearly see that it had no tail assembly and no rotor above it - or anywhere on it. So it wasn't an autogyro. I have absolutely no idea what it was - I can't even imagine what it might have been. What I'm sure of (in my belief) is that it wasn't of an extra-terrestrial nature. So I don't put it down to aliens. I really do wish I knew what it was though.

Do you believe the Ancient Astronaut theories that suggest that Aliens have shaped all of Human History?

Definitely not. One piece of 'evidence' for ancient astronauts is ancient drawings of human-shaped beings with space helmets on; i.e. a sort of circle round the head. They can't be differentiated from pictures of human beings with halos, so the space helmet idea is nonsense. Another so-called piece of evidence was, how could men from so long ago have erected the statues on Easter Island. Nobody knew until someone actually asked the islanders to do it - and they did. Those two pieces of so-called evidence are created by a Dutchman (I forget his name), along with other nonsence pieces that he cites as evidence for ancient astrnauts.

Do you think governments are covering up the existence of Alien UFO’s or using the phenomena to mask their own secrets projects?

No, but I do think that governments/military don't get involved with the alien UFO idea of a sighting when they know the things was theirs. So, rather than use the alien idea to cover up their secret projects, they don't come out admit it was one of their secret projects - they leave the people and media to speculate that it was of alien origin. Although I suppose that, if one of their secret projects was sighted and reached the media, they may engineer the idea that is could have been an alien UFO without it being known that it was them getting the idea out there.

Will we ever be able to communicate with an Alien civilisation if we find one or if they find us?

Probably..

What do you think an alien life form might look like?

No idea.

Is it a good idea for us to be searching for ET’s and broadcasting our position in the galaxy or should we be trying to hide?

We don't have a choice about broadcasting our existance. We've been doing it since radio was invented. And the content of some of our TV programmes will give our position, anyway. However, our very first radio signals haven't yet gone very far in terms of the size of the galaxy.

Comment: Most of us would like aliens to be visiting us, and we'd like to see them - just like we'd like Nessy, Bigfoot, the abominable snowman, etc. to exist. But, if extra-terrestrials actually did land here, I for one would shout "SH.T!" in my head and wonder what massive dangers we're in for. I really don't want aliens to land here :)

Phil Deakins wrote:

Do you believe the Ancient Astronaut theories that suggest that Aliens have shaped all of Human History?

Definitely not. One piece of 'evidence' for ancient astronauts is ancient drawings of human-shaped beings with space helmets on; i.e. a sort of circle round the head. They can't be differentiated from pictures of human beings with halos, so the space helmet idea is nonsense. Another so-called piece of evidence was, how could men from so long ago have erected the statues on Christmas Island. Nobody knew until someone actually asked the islanders to do it - and they did. Those two pieces of so-called evidence are created by a Dutchman (I forget his name), along with other nonsence pieces that he cites as evidence for ancient astrnauts.

Aaah you are referring to Mr. Erich Von Daniken who I guess could be considered the forefather of these theories. Erich and his protege Giorgo Tsoukalos have managed to popularise the idea significantly through their TV show on The History Channel in the US. I really like the show but purely from an entertainment standpoint. They often contradict themselves, manipulating history so that it fits into their theories and quite often neglecting to mention well documented evidence that proves their theories are not true in many instances. 

If anyone believes anything said by Von Daniken or Tsoukalos on the subject of ancient aliens then I recommend you watch this video which dissects some of the core theories and debunkes them. Be warned that it is 3 hours long as there is a hell of a lot of nonsense that needs to be debunked :matte-motes-big-grin:

When you consider the billions of stars out there (this may be a gross underestimation) and even so much as five percent of them have a solar system (which may be, again, and underestimation) -- the chances of there being life on the outside seems very likely. Even if it's so much as single-celled organisms.

There's really nothing that makes Earth that special where it's the only life-sustaining planet. Perhaps here in this solar system, it is. However, there are several other stars that have their own solar system. The other "goldilock planets" are bound to exist. It just seems highly unlikely that we're alone amongst all these stars and planets.

As far as their position on whether they're as technologically sound -- have you ever played Spore? It would probably be like the Space Stage on there. Differing ages of different species. Some about the same as us, some superior to us, some primitive to us, some animalistic, some still trying to get out of the cess pool. That is, if you believe in Evolution.

Their appearance would likely be shaped depending on their environment. This could be from constant comfort of high-tech space traveler, such as the highly pale skinned (and my personal favorite alien design) Greys. Or the Reptilians who look more as though their appearance is an offset of their evolutionist pattern -- requiring tougher skin (probably lived on a warmer planet) before they grew sentience.

I won't really get into other things like theories and whatnot.

I will give this a shot.

I think there is life elsewhere. I don't only think life exists on one 'planet' but millions of planets. That being said, some life is more intelligent than ours and some may not be; it's all relative--isn't it.

I read these forums so I absolutely believe aliens have arrived on earth; they post here :|

I would be hard pressed to believe aliens shaped life on earth, unless we are the same species that inhabited a planet that is now extinct e.g., they ran for their lives so to speak. It wasn't that long ago that some even thought this world was flat so it kinda negates that aliens fled their world and came here with such ignorance. Besides, humans kill each other vis-a-vis wars; who would run away from a dying planet to come to earth just to kill each other.

Insofar as the ability to communicate with aliens, if they are here they will/should be able to communicate with us and teach us to communicate with them.

I would love to be alive for "first contact" and I can only hope it happens in my life time. As far as their look/appearance I think and hope they are not offended by *our* look especially with obesity running amok in the civilized world. Go figure.  I do hope that none of them look like my exwife. 

Porky Gorky wrote:

Tired of answering the same old questions and having the same old discussion in the GD forum?

If so then pull up a chair and join me here as we talk about Aliens!

Here are some talking points.

• Does life exist outside of our solar system?
  • If so, has that life developed intelligence that rivals and surpasses our own?
  • Do you believe aliens have visited Earth in the recent past i.e. Roswell etc.?
  • Do you believe the Ancient Astronaut theories that suggest that Aliens have shaped all of Human History?
  • Do you think governments are covering up the existence of Alien UFO’s or using the phenomena to mask their own secrets projects?
  • Will we ever be able to communicate with an Alien civilisation if we find one or if they find us?
  • What do you think an alien life form might look like?
  • Is it a good idea for us to be searching for ET’s and broadcasting our position in the galaxy or should we be trying to hide?

Discuss…

Define life. If you mean intelligent life, you are into the realms of the Fermi Paradox. "Where is everybody?"

When you think of the billions of stars in our galaxy, the billions of galaxies, the universe beyond our cosmic bubble that we can never see or know what's beyond because of the speed of expansion of the universe, it's easy to fall into the reasoning that there must be other intelligent life out there. After all, our galaxy is 13.5 billion years old so surely other civilisations must exist, many even existing and dying, many advanced over billions of years not just our miserable one hour of the Universal year.

If you assume there is nothing special about Earth, then yes, there must be millions planets with suitable environments for the development of life. It's known as the Principle of Mediocrity. In a CNN poll in 2000, 82% of people believed in extraterrestrial life and other polls suggest most Americans (of which I'm not one) believe in flying saucers. Europeans less so but significant, so a commonly held view that aliens are already here among us or at least have visited at some point in time. Again you have to ask "Where is everybody". There is absolutely no definitive proof that aliens have ever visited us or exist among us. Erich von Daniken and his ilk make fortunes peddling their often nonsensical sensationalism. They build theories from a mish mash of  information and by the time Chapter 2 begins, that theory becomes a truth and so they build this web of misinformation from chapter to chapter. von Daniken was known not to have even visited many of the places he wrote about.

Where are the alien artifacts? Why can't some of those who claim to have been taken and returned by aliens at least come up with some alien artifact pinched from an alien spacecraft? Far as I'm concerned, I've never seen a photograph that in any way could be construed as a genuine alien spacecraft and as Phil said, why would aliens switch on all their lights. I'm an amateur astronomer and I've seen many strange lights and even objects but I've never come across something I couldn't explain myself or find an explanation for. For example, some US Navy military satellites known as NOSS satellites fly in triangular formations visible to the naked eye under a dark sky have raised scare stories that they are alien spacecraft. Sirius and Venus are two objects that frequently produce reports that people are seeing alien lights that flash different colours (Sirius) or a light that is following the person (Venus). The list goes on and on. Victorians never saw flying saucers because the term or alleged shape was not invented yet. It wasn't until 1950 that fyying saucers reached their height of notoriety.

Stephen Webb wrote an excellent book titled Where is Everybody in which he poses 50 solutions to the Fermi Paradox and the possibilities of extraterrestrial life. It's compelling reading and I strongly recommend the book to anyone interested in the topic. Somewhat depressingly after examining all 50 solutions, a sieve so to speak of the possibilities, he comes to the conclusion then intelligent life only exists on one planet, Earth.

Yes I'm sure some Governments use the public's belief in extraterrestrial life to cover up secret projects.

Who knows if we can ever communicate with alien civilisations if they exist. They could be so advanced our channels of communication are archaic but that is what the SETI project is all about. The book SETI 2020 is a excellent book detailing a Roadmap for the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence. It's quite technical and not an easy read but a fascinating insight into what is currently going on in that field. We.ve been broadcasting signals into space for decades so too late to start thinking of the consequences now and I definitely believe in SETI (slightly at odds with my personal opinion below but maybe a little bit of me hopes).

No idea what alien life may look like, anything you see is merely conjecture.

Personally, I go along with Stephen Webb's conclusion in that Earth is special and intelligent life exists only on Carl Sagan's pale blue dot, Planet Earth. Mind you, if there are aliens out on Pluto, my name (along with 435,000 others) is on a CD on the New Horizons spacecraft due there in 2015 so they'll know about me if they have the technology to play CDs! :smileyvery-happy:

PS: Great topic Porky!

1] Yes. But not as we know it, Jim.

2] Yes.

3] Anything's possible.

4] Anything's possible.

5] Anything's possible.

6] That would be a good idea. Selling them package holidays to select locations within our solar system would be a win-win scenario.

7] Anything's possible.

8A] Yes. It makes sense to know who our galactic neighbours are.

8B] No. Best to keep a low profile in case the first ET's to come our way wear black hats.

I shall tackle my first question; does life exist outside of our solar system?

The building blocks of life seem to exist throughout the universe and are a significant part of star formation. In the aftermath of supernova explosions and the process of star formation, pre-biotic molecules are spontaneously formed in nebulae. Such pre-biotic molecules appear to exist across the universe and existed before the creation of the Solar System, although it is thought that about 9 billion years or so of stars forming and dying were required to produce the right conditions.

As successive generations of stars have burned out and exploded as supernovae, all the natural elements that we know of are spread around the Universe to form the stars planets and all living things.

So there is nothing special about our solar system, the elements used to construct it are the same as those used to construct the rest of the universe. We know the basic ingredients for life have been out there in the cosmos for the past 4.75 billion years. Any solar systems that have formed since then (like our own) are prime candidates in the search for life.

So a star is born and the pre-biotic molecules  need to find themselves an environment that hosts the right conditions necessary to support life.  This should not be a problem. There’s estimated to be up to 400 billion stars in our galaxy alone, and our galaxy is pretty small compared to most. Our next door neighbour the Andromeda galaxy has a trillion stars. Latest research indicates that there are 500 billion galaxies just in the observable universe alone, who knows how many more there are beyond that.  The estimated number of stars in the known universe is a trillion trillion. That’s 1000000000000000000000000.  So with that many stars out there I think it can be safely assumed that there are billions of earth like planets out there that orbit around their host star within the comfortable goldilocks zone that is conducive to supporting life.

So we have the ingredients, we have the locations…..now all we need is the miracle,,,,that spark that created the chemical reaction that results in the first signs of  life on a planet. Some assume there must have been a “spark”, a freakish accident with a rogue bolt of lightning or some divine intervention or some other special occurrence when it comes to life beginning on earth. This assumption has arisen out of ignorance because we simply do not know how life began, how a combination of elements formed to create life. It’s a question that is up there with “what existed before the big Bang”? We just don’t know and will probably never know as there is no way to observe it. However, just because we cannot create artificial life in a lab does not mean the process is impossible or even complicated. It just means we have not worked it out yet, there is something we are missing. So scientifically there is no way for us to determine how often life is created on any given planet, we have no base comparison as we don’t even know how it started here.

So now we have to really start hypothesising. For me the answer is simple. This universe has been one long journey of evolution with it’s sole purpose being to provide a platform that supports life. What other point is there to stars? What is their function other than to provide energy to the bodies of matter that orbit them and to provide the raw materials for the formation of new stars. Early generations of stars act as factories providing the elemental raw materials for the generations to come. 9 billion years later all the ingredients are present in the universe to create, host and support life. The mere fact that we exist is testament to this. If the universe had not evolved to support life we would not be here. Therefore I think it stands to reason that life is abundant throughout the universe. The sole purpose of the universe is to support life in my opinion. Using the word "purpose" also implies that it was designed with this function in mind, which I also believe to be true but that is a whole seperate epic thread in itself.

I just want to add one thing to my earlier post. It's about my assertion that any extra-terrestrial visitors would not turn on their lights so we can see them - the lights, that it. I should have added that they don't need lights to see where they're going. Headlights aren't much good way up in the sky, even at night, and internal lights wouldn't be anywhere near as bright as the UFO lights that are photographed and videoed.

I did see an orange light go across the sky a while back. It was a chinese lantern, of course, but some peoiple believe they have seen a UFO when they've seen a chinese lantern float across the sky. Well... they have seen a UFO as far they are concerned because, to them, it is unidentified.

Porky Gorky wrote:

There’s estimated to be up to 400 billion stars in our galaxy alone

Our galaxy is an ever-changing one. Back in the 80s it contained an estimated 100 million stars. More recently, I've seen that it contains an estimated 200 million stars, and now it contains an estimated 400 billion stars. I wish it would settle down a bit :)

I think 

Phil Deakins wrote:

Porky Gorky wrote:

There’s estimated to be up to 400 billion stars in our galaxy alone

Our galaxy is an ever-changing one. Back in the 80s it contained an estimated 100 million stars. More recently, I've seen that it contains an estimated 200 million stars, and now it contains an estimated 400
billion
stars. I wish it settle down a bit
:)

I think the number is increasing in line with the improvements of our telescopes and the increased computer power available to scan the images that the telescopes capture. They are now finding allot more White Dwarf stars, White Dwarfs are stars who have exhausted all of their fuel and reach the end of their evolutionary journey as they were not powerful enough to become neutron stars. They are allot smaller and denser than our sun and also allot dimmer, thus making them harder to see, which is why the estimates on the number of stars in the galaxy has risen significantly in recent years. It's now estimated that over 95% of the stars in the galaxy are White Dwarfs and none of these stars can support life, they are effectively just the burning cinders of dead stars and will fade away completely after a couple of billion years.  It is the fate our own sun faces. In about 5 billion years time our sun will expand 200 times larger and turn into a Red Giant, after it has shed it's mass it will condense down to white dwarf about 7 billion years from now.

Eventually all the white dwarfs will cool to a point that they will emit no light or heat and they will become Black Dwarfs. However as a white dwarf cannot be older than the universe itself it is thought that black dwarfs do not exist yet as even the very oldest white dwarf stars in the universe are still emitting a measurable amount of energy.

Nyll Bergbahn wrote:

Define life. If you mean intelligent life, you are into the realms of the Fermi Paradox. "Where is everybody?"

Thanks for your post, I enjoyed reading your insights :matte-motes-big-grin:

Regarding the Fermi Paradox, I really have a hard time even considering it. I find it narrow minded and restricted by our own human limitations. My favorite TV theoretical physicist Michio Kaku puts forward some really strong arguments for why the Fermi Paradox is flawed in this vid, you should check it out if you haven;t seen it.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Isn't that like saying that the purpose of a garden is to grow weeds? Weeds grow in gardens, and the conditions are optimal for them to do so, therefore it must be because the garden was designed to support weed growth.

If a weed grows in a garden then the garden must have been designed/created to support the growth of weeds. If it wasn't then the weeds would not grow there.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

No, that is incorrect. Weeds grow in gardens because it just so happens that the conditions of a garden make it optimal for them to do so. It is not by design. 

A weed is only a weed because we have labeled it a weed. In nature there are no weeds. Nature makes no distinction between a weed and a rosebush. If you design a garden to support the growth of a rosebush then by default you are designing it to support the growth of a weed. 

I may be wrong though, I suck at analogies.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Life exists because conditions in the universe make it possible, not because the universe was designed to support life.

That's obviously an opinion that cannot be proved or disproved. 

I would argue that the conditions that exist in the universe that facilitate the development of life are there by intelligent design. The universe is too perfect for it to be random, mathematics has proved that time and time again. I'm not saying that an intelligence set out to specifically create human beings or to interact with the universe in any way. I think the universe is an experiment, bound by a certain set of laws. The goal is to create stars, trillions and trillions of stars with the sole purpose of seeing what comes out in the nuclear fallout. 

You are right, ultimately it is just an opinion. So too is the idea that something intelligent created the experiment called life. The universe is not perfect, far from it. Ask anyone with an uncureable disease, ask anyone who lost a child at birth, ask anyone who has been struck by lightning or a meteor. There is no intelligent design. There is just a nice place to live and if we are lucky, we can benefit from being a sentient being, or if not, we suffer because we are a sentient being.

Porky Gorky wrote:

...I would argue that the conditions that exist in the universe that facilitate the development of life are there by intelligent design...

Turtles all the way down, eh? 

If intelligent design of the universe, who is the designer? More importantly, who or what created them? I prefer the Anthropic Principle (something most like the 'Modified' version): the question of our existence can only be asked because we are here to ask it. The universe isn't designed for us or anyone else; it exists because of physical laws we can't currently comprehend. If it were other than as it is, we wouldn't be here to ask 'Why are things so suitable for us?"... something different would be here to ask why it is so suitable for *them*, or nothing would be able to ask the question at all.

To follow your gardening analogy, there are areas where the soil is too acid for certain plants. No-one had to design it that way. An azalea thinks "What a lucky azalea I am, this acid soil is so perfect, it must have been designed for me!" It can know nothing else.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

You are right, ultimately it is just an opinion. So too is the idea that something intelligent created the experiment called life. The universe is not perfect, far from it. Ask anyone with an uncureable disease, ask anyone who lost a child at birth, ask anyone who has been struck by lightning or a meteor. There is no intelligent design. There is just a nice place to live and if we are lucky, we can benefit from being a sentient being, or if not, we suffer because we are a sentient being.

Intelligent design is definitely just an opinion. It's not even an opinion I enjoy debating simply because it is so ridiculously far fetched. How can we even begin to fathom the origins of the intelligence that possibly created the universe? We can't. However I find it hard to believe that our specific universe just appeared out of nowhere without any intervention and then proceeded along a random and chaotic path that resulted in sentient life. Both hypothesis are ludicrous once you start pulling them apart. Intelligent design just makes more sense to me if I don't think about it too hard.

Regarding the examples you listed of human pain and suffering, I don't think you can see the perfection because you are applying human compassion to the thought process in this scenario. From a universal perspective those people will live, have a chance to reproduce and evolve, then die returning their atoms to the universe so they can be reused. That is perfect from a universal perspective, That is what they are supposed to do. Pain and suffering are irrelevant to nature,

Take the evolution of our planet for example. Millions of species have evolved over billions of years. Throughout that period food chains evolved. Billions upon billions of creatures were slaughtered, tortured, poisoned and eaten alive in order to sustain other creatures. As a result of this evolutionary process Humanoids evolved into predators and started to eat raw meat a couple of million years ago. This boost in calories freed up energy that could be used to grow our brains, as a result of this we became slightly more intelligent, then we learnt how to cook meat with fire, as a result of this we became a hell of a lot more intelligent. We had discovered a way to consume higher calorie foods, using less energy i.e.. Not chewing raw meat all day. This freed up even more of our body's energy to fuel the brain. So my point is, billions of years worth of death and butchery in the food chain largely contributed to the evolution of human intelligence. From natures universal perspective this has worked perfectly. Death and destruction has fueled evolution and it will continue to do so long after Hunams are gone. When you look at it with human compassion then it seems far from perfect, it seems brutal and savage. Yet without such a perfect system of evolution you and I would not be here today discussing the issue.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.