What is there to really do in Second Life?

JebroneKitty

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I hear Role Playing is big, but I'm just not a big Role play type of person. I don't like having to type out things and explaining what I'm doing. I just like doing. Although, I'm a Furry and that was one big reason why I joined Second Life.

I than hear there are concerts, games, pet raising, and etc. But when I got on, it just seems like an empty shell of a place, no one talks, people just stand still, places are empty.

I don't know, but when I thought about Second Life, I was thinking something like an MMO, where people would crowd a certain area and people would be chatter boxes. Maybe I'm missing out on something...

Your thoughts were not far off, it is just that SL is a big place, and the gatherings are not everywhere and all the time.  Use search to find music venues and scheduled performances.  Search the Marketplace for pets to buy; there is no short supply of those.  The things you want to try are most probably out there, it just takes some time and work to find them.    

I'm thinking about what I want to build; that's why I'm just standing there.

I enjoy building; I can get lost in my builds. 

There are crowded places in SL, I usually avoid those destinations. 

Searching for Events in the Classified, has produced some favorable results. I searched for Discussions, and attended a couple of discussions. The people I met, were active, thoughtful Residents.

You could consider searching for Furry Groups.

If you enjoy chatting, and being social, you may need to kick start that interaction yourself. Open the World map, look for green dots, teleport to those locations.

To have plans, one must make plans.

Let's say you suddenly get dumped in some strange country.  That country has everything imaganable to do.........only your imagination is the limiting factor.  What do you do?  You can stand there looking around and never venture further than you can see from where you stand......always coming back to your little spot you arrived at.  Here you are in a country where you know you can do so much.........and you're lost.  Utterly and completely lost.  You wonder what everyone does and where are they? 

Not at all unlike what everyone who enters SL experiences.  Like real life there is no defined purpose......it's what you make of it.  You do like you do in real life.  You look for things that interest you, you go to places where those things happen (or people with similar interests congregate).  People don't talk you in real life either (not normally anway).  It's up to you to speak first.  And in real life when you do that the vast majority of times people speak back.  You learn.  You make friends, you begin to do all those fantastic things you heard about.  In real life you find most people are more than willing to share information about a common interest..........it's exactly the same in SL.

Go out in the grid.  Find your places.  Talk to people.  Search for communities and groups that interest you.  You do not have to ll pass any levels to go anywhere in SL.   And, just like real life, if you are polite people are polite back to (perhaps more so in SL since it's an anonymous world and the shy or introverted are more open and friendly).

There's bunch of things to do in SL..........almost limitless.  Just look for it.

The tagline for this virtual world used to be "your world, your imagination". I don't know if that is still applicable today as our imaginations are restricted more by Linden Lab's rules and bugs/issues, However, it is a good starting point on what the creators of SL envisioned. A world where all the content and activities were built and organised solely by the residents. The usership of this platform peaked between 2007 and 2009 and the world grew rapidly to accommodate the influx of new users. Unfortunately as some of the users went away, the land did not, so we are now left with a large world that is seemly sparsely populated, it's more of a case that the people that are here are now more spread out. 

So for a new player starting today that has no interest in the creative side of the game, I think your main objective is to find these illusive pockets of community, attempt to make contact and see if they are living a second life that you want to get involved in. No one is going to come along and hand you a mission like every other MMO, you really have to set your own goals for this world, with the point of the game being to go out and achieve those goals whether they be social, commercial or personal.

I never role play in Second Life. But, I stay so busy.   I run businesses, DJ, listen to music, talk to friends, and explore. There is always something interesting in Second Life.   You just have to think about what you would like to do.  Are you a Disney Fan? Then, there are several Disney theme parks on the grid with rides.   Do you enjoy art?  There are always art exhibits.   Want to learn to build?  There are places you can do that.   The possibilities are almost endless for you.

Others mentioned using the events search to find things you are interested in, that's pretty effective. But not much mention (that I noticed) of role-play.

Like you, I prefer doing, not writing by typing every little thing out. I've been through a LOT of the role play groups for very short periods of time. I've found that there are some that are much more MMORPG like. There tends to be good doing in the RP militaries. They seam to organize periodic battles with eachother, get their guns'n armor on, and have a good old gun fight. Long ago I was pretty active in Avillion and they had regular "battle practice" which was the same sort of idea. So, go through a bunch of them and see what is there. Also, when investigating an RP region, see if any of the ops/helpers are online and ask them when it gets busy. Often these groups are very time-zone specific.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Personally I blame CHUI for much of that (but not all by any means), and beforfe you ask CHUI is CHat User Interface, a thing LL brought in to improve chat in SL some while back.

Before CHUI, local chat where you say hello and get ignored was in one box over  <------here and IM's were in another box over ----> there.

Then LL fubared it completely with CHUI, local chat became just another IM tab in the IM box, sooooo if you are 'roleplaying' in an im box, you cant see whats said in local box and ignore it. Oh there are 'chat toasts' where chat appears in little floaty boxes on the screen that float up and vanish but, many sl residents cant read those fastenough to keep up so, they ignore them.

I see a distressing number of profiles that say "I don't bother with local chat too hard to follow, IM me if you want to talk"

Roleplayers can also be a problem, many will simply ignore you if you are not part ofg their RP, don't have a 'kewl' charachter bio in your profile or are not wearing the official RP group tag they prefer.

As for things to do, the Blake sea is worth a visit, go to Dex and visit the Tradewinds Yacht Club, collect a free sail boat and explore several hundred sims of interconnected waterways, find the skeleton of the Leviathan (good photo opportunity there), or dive overboard in the Franchi Deeps and explore the mer carnival, or port over to Babbage and explore their world of odd (don't forget to collect your free can of wiggy fish and a case of sootsticks).

Even window shopping in SL can be an experience, check out Curio Obscura, probably one of the weirdest stores in SL, or take part in a Hunt ( you can see a lot of people doing hunts in SL).

And... You're not a real SL Resident untill you've found the SL Logo handprint on the map, teleported there and stood in it...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.